Thursday, February 16, 2023

Anticipation and Contrast

 Happy Day After Valentines! We celebrated the day with taco Tuesday, a few good laughs, and tree trimming. Yes, we are officially old but very much contented. Roy gave me the cutest card and we discovered The Boys don't know anything about being a Valentine. Well, if chasing one another till all decide to nap and put this on repeat throughout the day, that is their celebration. Really, we are fortunate that they get along pretty much the whole time and they are quite entertaining. 

The much anticipated snow event turned into mainly a rain event over the weekend. If conditions had been favorable many say that we would have experienced blizzard conditions. The wind was a bit gusty but not sustained. I took the opportunity of staying in to go through stuff in the front bedroom for the second time. It proved to be fruitful in culling out more things to go to Goodwill. Lots of paper, paper products both cute or functional. Dare I say that some notebooks and journals, empty of course, made their was into the bye bye box.  I also went through some jewelry pulling out earrings and a few necklaces that I don't wear very often. 

This week we are in John 10, a personal favorite. We didn't get through all the lesson of John 9 which has to be one of the most moving chapters on Jesus, I Am the light of the world vs keep a bunch of rules and be miserable like us, Pharisees, way of worship. Alex, I'll take Jesus.  Healed blind man formally known as  blind beggar, gets thrown out of temple and synagogue life, is now taken in and loved by Jesus and that is how chapter 10 begins. Chapter 10 says He knows us by name...we don't know the name of the healed man but it isn't important, cause Jesus knows his name. I re-read a bit of Scouting the Divine to refresh the observations made about modern shepherding as compared to Bible times shepherding...only the technology has changed, the basicness of raising sheep is just about the same. Although the comfort is in this, Jesus is the Good Shepherd. 

The Alex Murdaugh trial is mesmerizing.  Makes me think of back in the day watching the OJ Simpson trial. I try to limit watching to just updates but there have been a few times, the live stream pulls me in. The alleged stories and I guess true stories from this family tree is unsettling at best. The sister in law, Maggie's sister, wow...credible and a witness one can have sympathy and empathy with.  

On Facebook I belong to several groups dedicated to the memory of the city where I was born. For a smaller type city with lots of industry back in the day, the architecture and planning of buildings and such seemed to be more than the usual size of town. Now it looks like so many of these buildings have been left to lapse into disrepair and are doomed for tear downs. 

We just got in from pruning the rose bushes. Always an adventure. Roy trimmed his apple trees yesterday, so we are in spring mode, well kind of. I like winter and not quite ready to be done with it. 

********

The good news this week? Pluto TV has an I Love Lucy channel. This is extremely good news since I Love Lucy. Pluto hasn't been showing them in order but that's okay. Of course I am waiting for one of my all time favs, the episode where Lucy sings I am the queen of the gypsies. 

Today, after reading and studying, I'll begin writing out the lesson for Sunday. What a contrast although I think I have written this before. 

No comments: