Thursday, September 7, 2023

Anticipation, Thankfulness and Gratefulness

 A lazy Labor Day morning. I like it! This morning at breakfast, Roy and I were talking about nine years ago on Labor Day. I was finishing up my month long visit given to me by Roy for a milestone birthday. While here, I had searched for a house to buy with the territory stretching from Waynesville to Burnsville. Little did we know but God did, the home we would purchase was about a half a mile away from where I was staying. Searching the ends of the earth, well maybe searching between the villes, and what we loved was only a little ways away. The house we eventually purchased was off the market and pending until it wasn't. God and His timing, for sure. That particular Labor Day we drove around the area and were so surprised that not too much was open. Actually closed for the holiday while at first frustrating but we knew it was also refreshing. I had a book about literary places in and around Asheville and we were kind of following that trail. It led us to Marshall and we searched and searched for Penland's. To no avail, we couldn't find it and concluded it must have closed since the book was several years old. Well, guess what, it isn't. Inez and Velda helped me discover the wonder of downtown Marshall which included Penland's. It was there, we just didn't look hard enough. Also discovered the hardware store and the quirky, funny owner. Fast forward and I am friends with the owner of Penland's, not only friends but she gave me her phone numbers and told me if I ever needed anything or anyone to give them a call since Roy wasn't here full time yet. I never had to but it gave me assurance. One of those unexpected blessings. Little shout out and appreciation Georgette. Thank you for being a friend. 

We had a bit of a false fall last week and this week the temps will be a summer revisit. Warmer than usual but the forecast next week hints that fall like temps will return. Sure do hope so. Roy's tomatoes are still going strong. We've given a lot away as well as freezing them for winter soup. Yum! I cannot forget that tomato sandwiches are the bomb diggity. Soon it will be time for autumnal foods, which I love and of course love writing autumnal. 

Next week is a bit busier than normal. While sitting in all that traffic on Wednesday, we were able to book our appointments for Mustang Sam and for the truck at Jimmy's.  We also have hair appointments so guess it is a maintenance week all the way around.  

It is exciting that two friends are starting a women's Bible study this week at church. David Jeremiah's, Galatians. No homework! Sounds good to me. 

********

While Roy was at deacons meeting, I caught up with a Houston friend. Lots of laughs in between our telling each other of the daily events in life. The Boys somewhat behaved while I was on the phone but had a moment in the midst of our conversation, they experienced a bit of rough housing on the stairs. Then calm reigned throughout the household until Roy returned home. 

I began looking at the lesson for this coming Sunday yesterday afternoon. Think I will pick three events in our context chapters to look at. I know one of the three will be the friends in Mark 2 letting their friend in through the roof to see Jesus. 

**********

Oh Thursday, you got here so quickly this week. The forecasters tell us today will be the last hot temp day for a bit. We will take it! 

Yesterday, I had my much anticipated appointment with the dermatologist that had to be rescheduled due to the wreck and construction last week. We got there early, not because we are old but because I didn't want to miss this appointment for any reason. A major street is closed to get to their office, so with all the twists and turns and unknowns, we allowed for time. That office runs like clockwork though. All the staff is so pleasant and friendly. You know, like they like their job. The doctor? She knows her stuff and I told Roy she looks like a college cheerleader. He immediately felt the need to make an appointment with her. I go back for her to get the rest of the???? Guess I will call it the sample. Edges still had margins and she'll make sure it is taken care of which includes some kind of skin graft and a pretty big hole that will take six months to heal. She asked if I knew about compression socks? Yes, I responded and have some really cute ones. Six months of wearing compression socks so at least this is through the fall and winter months when socks are required to keep ones toesies warm. She explained that where I am in the big picture is this, it has been caught right before the melanoma would begin spreading to lymph nodes but she will send the sample to be tested. So in a little more of a week I'll go back in for a little more extensive biopsy and then return about forty eight hours later to see how it is healing. The doctor drew around the mole how far she will need to go out, so I came home with a tattoo of sorts. Just need to draw a smiley face on it. Through this whole summer process, too bad I don't have a paper to write on what I did on my summer vacation, God's peace has surrounded my heart and mind and kept me settled. I didn't take too many trips to the land of what ifs. While reading for the lesson this Sunday I cannot help but think of our Sunday School Class, The Joy Class, who have prayed over many a person and many request and when obstacles pressed in, we continued in praying. I am also thankful for so many friends who have prayed with me concerning all of this stuff. I am truly thankful and grateful. We will look at Mark 2, through the roof to get to Jesus. 

After the appointment yesterday, we went to Sky Top Orchard and then over to see Audrey for new frames and lenses. I didn't make the safe frame choice yet didn't make the choice where I have to look like the wild older lady whose only resort for fashion is her glasses. Then to close out this day of fun, we went to Publix. Now that is always an adventure on Wednesday when there is a discount for us older types. 

All three Boys are napping after a vigorous morning of chase. They are in their respective places to nap and for this I am truly thankful.     




No comments: