Thursday, April 5, 2018

Did You Call Before Digging?

I just called our landscaper back at 9:30 pm. I didn't realize it was so late. Oh my...but we discussed dog woods and rocks and stuff like that. Our yard is going to be so gorgeous! If there were yard of the months in our area, I'm sure when it is all said and done...we'd be winning. Roy and I got a later start to the day, partially my fault and maybe a little bit his.

Yesterday afternoon when it warmed up a bit, Roy began putting water sealer on the deck. He had put wood putty and sanded it, well sanded it for the most part. He used what we had bought previously, which was a clear stain and we needed to have a bit of color in it. So, because it seems like it is our tradition, we went to the dump to take cardboard to be recycled. Then we stopped at the post office an then made our way to Lowe's. I'm not really supposed to be driving...but I am feeling good and just a little too afraid of Roy on these narrow country roads in a big truck. While we were discussing what we would get, a guy came up to us that is painter and told us that the Olympic stains were going to be discontinued, so we should go with something else. We were about to make the mistake of painting over water seal and he told us no, just get Thompson's to finish out or we would regret and have to redo in less than a year. What a godsend and we got his card cause he is a bit of a handy man as well as painter and such. He is working for a builder over on New Leicester Highway. It was so tempting to go look at hanging baskets but there is some talk we might have snow this weekend. Roy and I went to lunch at CA's, it was delicious and then went to the bank and Ingles. We got home and began working on all the stuff we needed to get done and I think we just about got everything done on our list.
*******************************
Well, it is now Wednesday evening. Inez rode with us to Charlotte yesterday and she and I had a great time coming back to Asheville via detours and unexpected turns this way and that. Between Inez and Brenda, I am learning more shortcuts and different ways to get to most of the places that seem to be on the calendar these days. On the way to Charlotte, we stopped at Cracker Barrel. They were a bit shorthanded and the wait was long and Roy was keeping an eye on the time so that he make his time. We rushed through our meal and hit the road. On the way back Inez and I stopped there only to get a to go of their new peach iced tea. Once again...a little bit of a wait but this time our drinks were comped. Things didn't slow down once I got home and I looked to settle in early because I had an early morning appointment today.

The cardiologist office had called several times, even on Friday afternoon, which I thought was odd since I was at the hospital for the night. We finally caught up late yesterday afternoon. At this time I am not going into any details because things are early in the journey but they saw something on the CT scan they thought I should have looked at. The nurse calling sounded very concerned, a little freaked out and I thought the call on Friday and Monday from my regular Dr to come in yesterday, couldn't, so I went today, was just them moving up my regular appointment that I made for the middle of the month. Of course I went to Doctor Google last night and about scared myself to death after looking up the medical terms I clearly know nothing about. Roy and I talked through it last night and we also prayed through it. I went to sleep right away...no worries...no anxiety....cause that isn't going to help anything at all. So it was an early morning trip to Hendersonville. Andy narrowed the concerns down for me...much better than Doctor Google. While I am not out of the woods, we have a plan and will eliminate all the things that are least likely.  None of us know anything right now but the Lord does and that is the only thing that matters.

This took me by surprise and shook me emotionally for a bit. This is not how things are supposed to work...yes I mentioned that to the Lord and I am sure He needed my input on the situation. You know, you get the knees fixed, regain functional fitness and then have a heart tune up....it means it is time to fly, to live and have energy....dare I say it...galore! That word still cracks me up. But we shall see and I am confident of this, I know my Redeemer lives! While reading in The Passion Translation last night, Proverbs 3, I found the verses that I am grounding myself in for this season.

"My child, never drift off course from these two goals for your life: to walk in wisdom and to discover discernment. Don't ever forget how they empower you. For they strengthen you inside and out and inspire you to do what's right, you will be energized and refreshed by they healing they bring. They give you living hope to guide you, and not one of life's tests will cause you to stumble. You will sleep like a baby, safe and sound- your rest will be sweet and secure. You will not be subject to terror, for it will not terrify you. Nor will the disrespectful be able to push you aside, because God is your confidence in times of crisis, keeping your heart at rest in every situation." Proverbs 3: 21-26.

So not facing immediate demise at least from this.... although that really isn't true on I 26. I worked my way home by shopping stops. Found some cute things at Southern Chicks. Then stopped at Target and Hobby Lobby. Next stop, Biltmore Park and then onto Publix.

Nathan and Andrew were busy in the front yard when I arrived home. They have created a flower bed and planted two dogwood trees, a red one and a pink one. Roy asked if they called 311 before digging because in Katy it is a must with all the pipelines and cables running underneath property. Uh, no need Roy... we are on a well and septic system. If there were pipelines we would be using natural gas not propane. He knew that but when you're in the pipeline business, that is one of the first things you ask. It is going to be one beautiful flowerbed to behold from the front porch. But no flowers will be planted until after Mother's Day...have to get through the dogwood winter and then the blackberry winter...frosts that usually happen every year. Spring here has seemed like a few hours at a time with winter not wanting to bid a fond farewell.


No comments: