Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Spring, Snow and A Sly Manipulator

Earlier this morning mainly overcast skies and misty meadows held the promise of the predicted rains to come. Just a couple hours later the rain is falling at a pretty good clip and the sound of the rain hitting the metal roof is hypnotizing and relaxing. When the skies are this silver and gray, the green of trees, shrubs and grass against this back drop, beam with verdant hues. Truly, a delight for the eyes and restfulness of the spirit. Sunday morning, the road is quiet and even the birds that normally sing through just about anything are silent letting the sound of the rain take center stage. After our rain gauge broke this winter, I purchased a new one this week. Yes, the stand for it is in the yard and the glass gauge, still wrapped in bubble wrap on the kitchen counter.

Yesterday, Roy was out early doing the thing he loves, taking pictures. His schedule in the recent past has made it nearly impossible for him to plan to get out around the countryside. When he heard about a stagecoach in a nearby small town, he headed that way...and as per usual...he had a few missed turns even using GPS. The offer of taking a short ride in the stagecoach was accepted although he tried to talk his way onto the top of the stagecoach to take pictures. He said it was a tight fit with little room to move. I love the picture of the donkey he sent me and he didn't get to ride it nor was an offer extended inviting him to do so.

Yesterday, was the year anniversary of a broken tooth and it has been a year since I have eaten ribs cause you know that is what I was eating when the tooth cracked and then fell apart. A year later, an unneeded root canal and a great patching job by my wonderful dentist...the tooth is holding together...the root didn't turn and so with a little time on our side, at a later date, the tooth will be removed and the process of an implant will begin or maybe a bridge. Last April was a frantic month trying to get appointments and referrals to dentists and doctors... How timely this year that the ablation was at the end of March and this year I went into the month of April with a heart in rhythm and peace in my spirit....very different from last year.

Sometimes on FB I look through the pics that antique shops and dealers post and it is kind of funny to see, especially on consignment pages, furniture that was all the rage when we were newlyweds. Yes, our generation gave the world dressers with big mirrors and little tiny cubby holes or shelves around the mirror.  There isn't enough chalk paint in the world to cover that mistake in decor. Some of the chests and dressers that are updated in the chalk way still have the original early American hardware on it. That is something I don't understand. While thumbing through a magazine the other day, the style of furniture we had in our bedroom, we splurged and made the Drexel commitment and investment...or so we thought... was featured in a magazine, repurposed into modern bright colors.
************************
The remaining dusting of snow is only on the back deck, where the sun hits later than earlier. Little kitty paw prints show that one of the Feral Fam was out looking for breakfast and then I saw MJ sitting on the rock looking into the kitchen. So, I mixed up some food and put it out the garage back door...he is a happy camper. Since the sun is so bright Buddy has gone upstairs for her first morning nap in the sun.

Yesterday, my first visit to workout with Taylor since the ablation. What held me back from going last week was the bruises from the procedure on my leg. I missed about three weeks so it felt good to be back and then the working out portion started and maybe my joy diminished into a little bit of tiredness. After working out, I had a coupon for Barnes and Noble and yesterday was the expiration day. Found a couple of things and made note of some books...but I need to go through the to be read pile and whittle it down just a bit. Since I was close by and it was a cold day, I went to the Antique Tobacco Barn and strolled around. Saw a few tempting things but left without buying anything. I think the prices now reflect the economy, cause they seemed higher but I haven't been there for over a year.

So, I headed toward home with a Publix grocery stop beforehand. No, I didn't buy any cat food there, don't like their selection, but a very familiar circumstance happened once again in the parking lot. I am loading the groceries into the truck and a car pulls up and I hear this tear soaked voice asking me if I knew where..... This is about the fourth time this young woman has pulled this on me and I interrupted her and said, this is about the fourth time you have approached me asking me where you can find a ministry other than Goodwill, Salvation Army or  ABBCM . She's good cause she switched to I'm just trying to find Walmart! And she cried even more. My spidey Houston street sense kicked in and I am making sure that no one is getting in my truck while we are talking. She works alone most of the time but you never know. I gave her directions and she drove off and when I left I looked around to see if she had just pulled off and waiting for another victim. I almost drove over to Ingles to see if she was working that parking lot but decided to leave her well enough alone. I was telling Roy about the experience and that young woman doesn't seem in need, except for a job to keep her out of parking lots, and she has great command of shedding tears on demand. She looks to be in late twenties or early thirties and her window of opportunity for crying to move people is closing. She'll have to develop new skills to work people for money. I sound cold hearted and yes, that can be a default setting when I feel like someone is trying to manipulate me like she was. She doesn't know that I studied at the feet of the master manipulator, my father, and this stuff doesn't move me like she had hoped.

I had a late lunch and I made Roy's recipe of tacos. They were delicious! Cleaned up the mess and then watched the snow fall. The second throw arrived yesterday for the bonus room and it looks good. So, the pillows and spreads that I had been using will be going to the church yard sale.






No comments: