Friday, January 24, 2020

Rainy Days and Fridays.....

Ten degrees when I woke up this morning but the day promises to get above freezing and for this I am thankful. Today, holds getting out and about and then more study for Zechariah. Oh and maybe some fun reading too. Buddy is on the day bed in the front room soaking up the sunshine in nap form. The front room is the warmest room year round and even in the warmer months Buddy spends a lot of time in here. Sometimes when on the computer Buddy feels compelled to come over and sit on my lap or hands. Sunshine is the bigger draw for her this morning.

It is ironic that my favorite flannel shirt of this season is one purchased in Houston on our not quite annual or traditional stop at the Bass Pro Shop. Since there isn't one near us here, it seems more like a Texas tradition. With all the online sales happening I checked the website and on optional color shirt was available and yes, it was on sale. It arrived today and happy, happy, happy.

This was also a good day to get out of the house for a while. Since I hadn't been to Blue Rooster since last November and because they are closed next week, it seemed to be a good day to go and have lunch there. It was more crowded than I anticipated with this being an off season so to speak. Got to visit with Lora a bit and also enjoyed delicious food with coconut cake to go. Went to Belk with some reward dollars but didn't buy anything. This is a good time to visit Mast because there are parking places to be found. Found some good sale stuff and then moved onto Canton to go to Pigeon River Mercantile and first time going and not buying something. I was tempted but I'm remembering warmer days will be upon us later and they have had some cute linen tops. So, saving my $$ till then.
*****************
It is a rainy Friday morning. With the forecast saying rain today, my plans were to have all errands and fun things done by today. In earnest this morning will come the writing out of the Zechariah lesson.

Mike the mower man came over yesterday afternoon to talk about the stone steps we want for the backyard. Think we have a plan in place and weather permitting work will begin next week. He is also going to put down the gravel around the outside A/C units to help the red clay from kicking up into them when it rains.

Watching the feral fam dynamics this week is rather interesting. No Mr McBeavy to keep the kittens under watch and care. Punky has taken up on the gravel road or over in the big firs of Mary Joyce's yard. Strawyer comes and goes and there is little to no interaction between the previously inseparable duo. Then there is a mystery cat that looks to be someones because the fur is shiny and bright, brushed, like a domestic cat. Nancy, neighbor, had mentioned this cat to me several times but I hadn't seen it until this week. Black and white cat but its face is totally black, nose and eyes included. It can be unnerving to look into its face. I've seen it twice this week, always on the gravel road looking down into the yard.

I am almost finished with the book about Pat Conroy. It is an enjoyable read seeing into his chaotic life that finally landed in some years of peace after marrying his wife Cassandra. Before reading the book thoughts about chaotic living had been given some thought. Those thoughts came from some tweets by people on Twitter...having immaculate houses and how that gives people some sense of control...but we all know that control is really out of our hands so we make perceptions of control. We all have control issues of some sort and thankfully mine doesn't lie in having a spotless, nothing out of order, sterile home. Sometimes I wish I leaned a little more that way but truth be told, I'd rather spend an afternoon reading, I'd rather spend a morning writing and I'd rather relax in the evenings than stress over a pile of books or a pile of paper.

After babying this cut on my index finger all week, I finally felt brave enough to unpack our new shredder and begin putting the new cordless vacuum cleaner together. These two things do not invalidate the previous paragraph. The old shredder gave up the ghost last week. Then Roy purchased a new cordless Dyson for our Katy home. It was on sale at Target and they were running a deal if you had it shipped, thus I joined in on the cordless bandwagon. We have several vacuum cleaners here and I am not crazy about any of them. Looking like one or two of them will be going to the church yard sale in the spring.

  

No comments: