Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Toothy Drama No More

We were on the road at 6:00 am. Misting rain and low lying fog made our travels a little slower than usual. Once we hit the freeway, the fog and mist were more intermittent and we were thankful for those little respites of plain old dark skies and roads. We stopped for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Morganton around 7:20 am and we both enjoyed pecan pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast. Got back on our way, with a quick stop at Shell to fill up the truck. The news says gasoline prices are holding steady...I differ on that opinion cause they are getting higher by the moment. The airport traffic was just beginning to pick up when we arrived and after that short and sweet goodbye as the police officer waved to me to move, it was over. An adventure beginning November 22nd concluded just like that and I awaited the phone call from the gate once through TSA and the long, long hike to the gate as I drove down the road and returned to the freeway. The sun began to shine behind me, since I was heading west and the hope of cleared up roads and skies awaited but just as I crossed over the Buncombe County line, the rain returned. Now, several hours later, the sun is out and the forecast for tonight could include a dusting of snow, fierce winds and cooler temps.

A funny thing happened on the way into the New Year, I got a toothache. I went to bed on December 31st happy and grateful that 2019 had been an uneventful year health wise with no cardiac events or lots of dental work. In fact, we almost made it to the new year with money left in our FSA. But around 3:00 am on January 1st, I awoke with a throbbing, hurting pain on the upper right side of my mouth. That is where the tooth that broke in 2017 is located...and it has been patched and keeping a watch upon, but suddenly, it decided to wake up, which in turn woke me up. I have a high pain tolerance but this breached the line of pain, quite a bit. I didn't know to go ahead and call the dentist office even on a holiday or to call the emergency number. Now I know and I was fortunate to be able to be worked in on Thursday afternoon. We have a plan and for now I am on antibiotics and over the counter pain meds. When the dentist told me studies have been done on combing Tylenol and Advil together and it was as effective but not addictive as opioids, I thought yea, right. But he is right, great pain relief without all the side effects of a narcotic. Yesterday, I was waiting for everything to kick in and start the healing and it is beginning to work. So talking and any movement brought pain, but thankfully, it is not like it was.
**********
The emphasis of life here of late is this tooth. The dentist office had a cancellation yesterday afternoon, so the tooth removal journey began earlier than planned. That is fine, I am ready to be done with this whole thing. The good news in the midst of it all is when my dentist was able to get into the "meat" of the socket, there was more room and hope for an implant. There were some doubts about the bridge work with the front capped tooth. Funny thing, the infection is what moved up the room before getting close to the sinus cavity. God can use anything or anyone. By the time I got home the pain of all the work began to hit and I was happy to get antibiotics and the aforementioned pain pills in me. This morning I am happy to have sat in the line at the pharmacy to get the new prescription dropped off on the way home.

Today is the first day since the first of November that I don't have someplace to be other than home. I love these kinds of days. The sun is out, the temps cool and not a lot of wind. We had a sleet/hail mini deluge yesterday morning.


No comments: