Friday, January 29, 2021

Friday Morning Catch Up

 The beginning of this post feels like Snoopy on his doghouse, typing away..."It was a dark and stormy night." Last night was a dark and windy night around here. The weather service had a winter wind advisory out for the early morning into the afternoon. Right on time last night, the wind began. Around here I do not like wind from the northwest because it affects us more than wind from other directions. Just like storms that move toward us from the south seem to be worse because the mountains aren't as high and don't break up the storms. Late in the afternoon yesterday, I began checking things, making sure the cat toys were put up and checked on other items around the house. 

On schedule, the rain began with a forecast of possible snow, just a dusting. I decided to settle in early and was soon joined by Buddy. Restful, peaceful sleep until around 12:30. I heard a noise. It sounded as if something was on the back porch roof. Drawing back the curtains, I saw nothing. Laid back down and soon enough, the noise occurred again. This time I got up, looking out both back windows to see nothing making the noise. I came downstairs and checked, nothing amiss but I decided to stay up and see if I could decipher the origin of the noise. Got my book and settled into bed. Buddy got comfortable finally. Then I heard something, not the same noise as the two times before, almost sounded like a bobcat. All through this the constant was wind. Some of the gusts seemed like micro gusts and the force of the wind was making objects outside, sound differently. I was deep into the plot of my book when I heard one of those micro gusts and a crash. Up once again only this time I went out onto the back porch, cold and windy. I shivered while looking for the crash sight. It was a vase of flowers that held both wooden tulips and artificial foliage. Scattered by the wind, so I quickly gathered everything and put it all in a decorative white enamel bucket and hoped for no more wind bursts to break the silence. All of this felt like I was in a movie or that the happenings held more meaning to them other than wind.  That emotion could have come from the book I am rereading. I have read this book many times but this time around I am picking up truths that didn't stick with me or even noticed from previous readings. The ending, it stays with me though. So, now once again I read through the lives of the people involved and can see how the conclusion comes to be. Hopefully, I will finish it today. It is easier knowing the ending up the process of getting there has more of my attention on this reading. 

It looks like we are getting a few flakes of snow, very tiny flakes. At first, it seemed it was from wind blowing snow off of trees and roofs, but alas my non professional opinion is snow. I just had to walk down to the road for a package in the mailbox and it is a mix of blowing snow and snow falling. Dang, it is cold out there! I even put my hoodie hood on my head. On the way back in, gave the kiddos a treat or two and emptied the litter box so no one would feel like they had to go out in the cold and snow to go. 🎶 no go on snow, no go on snow. In the bleak mid winter, litter box is the way to go🎶

*************

Waiting for the temps to get above freezing before getting out to run errands. The sun is bright and so welcomed. I finished Keepers of the House last night. 1965 Pulitzer Prize winner by Shirley Ann Grau. In interviews she told how after the book was published the K%& came to her home to burn a cross in her yard. They couldn't get it to stand up, so they laid it down, set it on fire and the fire fizzled. I've started the next book, The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. Opposite genre but it is entertaining and didn't take long to pull me into the story. 

The Feral Fam was hungry this morning, well most mornings they are. Last night at supper, we had a full house including feuding male cats. Laid down the law that they would need to get along at least while eating. Everyone settled down, thankfully. 

Off to run errands...not above freezing but with the amount of cars and trucks going by, the roads shouldn't be too bad. 



No comments: