Friday, January 15, 2021

Try and Fake It, But Your Body Language Betrays

 Hair life is a lot easier without having to go to the salon and spend over two hours getting highlights every other month. Even though the hair salon I go to has the strictest policies and the cleanest salon, only have 50% occupancy and installed an air filtration system, I really don't want to sit there for that amount of time. Although most days when I look into the mirror, I wish I had just a little more blond mixed in with the gray and brown. Usually lipstick brightens my faded out look but you know masks. I am not complaining about masks at all. Love that I go so many places without putting on makeup cause most of my face is covered. Also they are so useful in the cold temps. 

This aging thing, this getting older so far isn't too bad. Last year most everything health-wise seemed under control, well except for the dental thing, see previous blog post. No heart issues, bloodwork good, knees working and the icing on the cake...my mental and emotional outlook stayed positive. We all have those little mental and emotional dips, but I didn't experience any big dips. Pandemic or not, I am never bored here. There is always something to do or fix or read or create. Since the temps have kept me inside these January weeks, I have all kinds of fun things to keep me occupied and amused. I am easily entertained. Not known for a very long attention span, that seems to be the one constant. Videos, unless they are short and funny, I just can't. Even reading could not interest me for a while but thankfully, wanting to read a book has returned. I have seen several talk about this on Twitter and while I don't think it has to do with getting older, it is somewhat troubling to me. Roy and I were talking about this last night as I told him about my lack of concentration. He assured me, that this is nothing new, and he is correct but things that would have totally taken my consideration in the past, hardly can be found an inkling of interest...I don't pay attention for very long. I don't always have on background noise preferring quiet but if it is going to be the TV providing the noise, it is mostly on shows from the 1960s and 1970s. It is just noise because I have seen every episode multiple times. If it is an episode I don't like, I turn it off or find another background noise show. Music in the background is usually instrumental. These are not nostalgia invoking. I do not think those days were the good old days. Adam Feldman in his book Journaling writes that nostalgia robs us of being present in today. When people wax nostalgic, so many times I cannot help but think of other things going on in life when this great and wonderful memory is resounded thus I cannot fully get into the moment or memory. Of course in my opinion, these days here in NC with the good and the not so good, are the favorite part of my life. These are some of the most contented and happy days, ever. Roy says on a consistent basis, North Carolina saved your life. Yes, it did. 

I watched an interview the other evening and it was obvious multiple plastic surgeries had happened for this person. You know, you can try everything to look younger and it is achievable but your body gives subliminal messages to others that betrays you. Many times older people sit around with their mouth hanging open, for no other reason than maybe mouth muscles have grown a little tired. Older people chew their lips and make faces. It is a battle I tells ya! As an older person, I fight this all the time, when I am awake and aware, other times, I just chew on my lips, stare or drive with my mouth hanging open. What? I used to wear rimless, titanium glasses cause you could barely see those glasses but it just advertises, hey, I'm trying to look younger here. So I adapted but I refuse to let glasses be the last bastion of fashion for me. That is what boots are for.😁Too many older women go with the wild glasses that just screams, not too much fashion left out there for me, so wild glasses it is. When we are younger we will wear glasses to look older and when we get older??? Well, let's just say when you decide on Lasik or contacts, look at what your glasses uncover, like a receding hairline or something. Or crowfeet around the eyes... or like my personal favorite, glasses hide the dark circles that came with this face from the beginning. Dang, I am chewing my lip as I write this. Stop it, Nancy! 

I am really enjoying Under the Gilded Moon and I believe I found a mistake. Some of the characters are with George Vanderbilt touring the house while still under construction. One person makes a reference to the organ in the banquet hall. Wait a minute...to The Google. I seem to remember that the organ was not original to the house, so I Googled it up. There might have been an organ bay, but I am not too sure if the house had an organ. Guess during Pass Holder Appreciation time when there aren't as many people, I need to ask about this. Nevertheless, it is not a detraction from the book if anything, my interest is more piqued. 

Hector Protector got some back porch time this morning. Ate some food, then rested on the daybed. He was a little too active this morning for me to leave him there while I am upstairs, so his family greeted him on the steps and everyone got a few more treats. Today will be a warmer kind of day temp wise so they need to get out and play before the drop in temps over the weekend. The rough and tumble world of play. 

********************

Friday morning, the word of the weather forecasts is a light dusting of snow. Now that the morning light comes through the look of the sky is a snow sky. Glad I got all my errands done yesterday. I try to get everything done one day a week to limit exposure to the virus. Lowe's earlier in the day is the time to go. Picked up a few things and then headed over to Weaverville for grocery shopping. I wasn't planning on a Publix trip, but went ahead while the temps were warm and not too many Instacart shoppers were in line. Came home to put all the cold stuff away and then ran over to church to drop a few things off. Filled up the truck and since I was almost there, I went to the Krispy Kreme to try one of those lemon dessert donuts. Yum! Worth the traffic and the trip. 

 One more thought on an older person mindset, it is true what you read on Facebook. If you have a favorite burner on your stove, keep good sturdy boxes cause you might need one, think you should start getting ready for bed at 9:00 and you feel like you're 18 until you get around people who are 18 and you know it is merely a feeling, cause you can't keep up or even care to keep up, you are definitely old.




No comments: