Saturday, January 2, 2021

It's A Start

 Good morning from the mountains of Western North Carolina. It is expected that the day will be overcast and rainy. We took the Mustang yesterday to Mars Hill where we could wash all the cat prints off the hood. With the warmer temps, this seemed to be a universal idea. I think most of Madison County was there. Thankfully, we hit in between a rush and only waited for one car to finish. A new car wash toy is the dryer hook up to speed the drying of the car. We discovered it quite by accident when we didn't use all the time on the meter. Turned it off to try and conserve time for the next car and the dryer came on. With a minute thirty on the clock, Roy began the process, only he was drying the windows. No, dry the hood of the car. That's a pretty nice feature to the car wash thing when you are doing it yourself. Since Ingles across the way didn't look too busy we went over and to get Roy more Dr Enuf and the ever present need for buying cat food. The regular checkouts were filled with people and full carts or as they call them here, buggies. We went over to the self checkout. While I was reading instructions, cause I rarely use the self checkouts, Roy had already paid for the groceries and was ready to load them in the car. Wow! He said, I might be slow at the carwash, but I am fast in the grocery store. Just another good reminder we all have our talents and when we combine them, things usually workout better. 

Roy finally received his exercise instructions from the physical therapist. Some of the exercises look easy but form is a must for them to work properly. Roy asked if I would look at them and help him discern what he needed to do. Y'all, I couldn't help it but since he had bought that stepper cause he was good at it while being tested, I casually mentioned these were all upper body exercises and not one of them involved a stepper recommendation from the physical therapist.  We ordered him some resistance bands and I found the one I had here that I used in the beginnings of my functional fitness sessions. Again, the talents we have from life experiences, we use to help one another. 

A memory from long ago came across my mind the other day. When Roy was in law school, time and money was tight. He had little to no vacation during this time, he was doing taxes and working contract at Anadarko. But, we knew we needed to have a few days away each year. The most frugal yet beautiful place to go, Fredericksburg, Texas. We would rent a vacation home, usually in the country but sometimes in the city so we could prepare most of our meals ourselves, with a few times going out for dinner. Staying in a vacation home let Roy continue to study, but not cramped up in a hotel room. In the country I could hike around the countryside. We did this for his last three years in law school. He went at night so it took four years to graduate. One afternoon we were window shopping in downtown Fredericksburg, standing on a corner waiting to cross the street and we were witnesses to an unusual sight. On one of the main crossroads a truck pulling a camper passed by but not only was the truck pulling the camper, but attached to the camper was a motorboat. Truly safety issues at hand. The unthinkable happened, the truck hit a dip in the road, the truck and camper made it but the boat came loose from the camper and it was rolling along on its own and came to a stop. The trailer had rammed into several cars parked along the street and came to rest in a Tahoe. The truck kept going on down the road and I wondered when will the driver realize he doesn't have a boat with him anymore. All of us on the corner and those further down the road were waving and yelling for the guy to stop cause he no longer had his boat and he better have some good insurance. There was a time I was like the guy pulling too much around, thinking I could handle things and proudful in telling myself that I was not only wise but efficient.  But, like the guy, I didn't account for any dips or obstacles. I would go along on my merry way, not knowing what I had left behind in my path. Then, once it grabbed my attention, so much time and energy went to repairing all the damage, whether it was to others or to myself. These days and after many mistakes later, trying to do it all or be it all or even dare I say, know it all...I am content to take smaller steps or advances. I try to stay in the present and not over think or over project. Some days are successful and some days not but the not days are thankfully becoming fewer in number. 

*******

Buddy is asleep in the window of the bonus room and HP is asleep on the back porch. I am trying to practice them getting used to seeing each other but this afternoon, they have ignored one another. I am taking that as a good sign. The sun is hitting the daybed perfectly to keep HP napping and warm. The same for Buddy in the window. Gee, maybe I should take a nap. When I got home from the airport run, I made some coffee cause I was feeling rather sleepy. 

We stayed up almost to the end of the Ohio State and Clemson game. That was kind of fun to watch. So was the Alabama game. We were rooting for Alabama, not because LSU is SEC, but because Roy doesn't like Notre Dame, at all. He does like the Rudy movie though. 

We picked up Roy's new glasses on Wednesday. We did the breakfast thing at Another Broken Egg and we got there early enough not to encounter the crowd that was waiting for seating. Since we had just been there this week, I was not tempted to go to Barnes and Noble. Now, reading an advisory for our area I am glad we didn't. Roy asked if I would not attend church this month in person and to grocery shop early in the day, during the week, and try to make it just a once a week option. I certainly will try. They are asking those of us over 65 to avoid large groups and have groceries delivered. I've seen the people that do the grocery shopping for you and I'd rather take my chances early in the day. 

2021, guess I am ready for you, well I have to be cause it is already 2021. Have books to be read, projects to do, plans for cleaning out a few drawers, please, don't be jealous. Planning on the garden for this year, all flowers again...I think. 

No comments: