Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Implants, Squirrels, Coffee and Fog

 Yesterday's theme might have been the start of an impact, no, the theme is the start of an implant. Another one, but the first implant on my bottom jaw. We could have started this last year, but my dentist suggested we begin this work in January 2021. With the unexpected rework on the first implant from 1999, the budget as well as my mouth needed a rest. He said I have had all three types of implant work he does. Hope no one discovers a fourth type cause my teeth probably would want to cooperate and align. Dr. Hodges is a great dentist, funny, skilled, cares and has a great attention to detail, even the smallest ones that make a huge difference, but in the beginning stages doesn't look like the detail will make an impact or an implant. Waking up on January 1, 2020, to an abscessed tooth pretty much set the dental tone for 2020 and when January 1, 2021 rolled around, no tooth associated pain. Hope that is a precursor for the new year.  

Think word is out in the squirrel world that the ferals have killed or maimed several squirrels in our area. The battering about of a squirrel paw might have been the last straw. I pulled in a parking spot near a tree at the dentist office and immediately a squirrel ran up into the tree. The squirrel began working on an acorn but he was positioned at an angle to keep an eye on me exiting the truck. I made the call into the dentist office and they told me when to come into the waiting room. So, with those few minutes, checked email, texts and FB, while keeping an eye on the squirrel. With the sound of the latch releasing on the door, the squirrel scampered off as I got out of the truck and then I felt something hit the top of my head. Looking up, there was a baby squirrel at the tip top of the branches, watching me, maybe my response to head hit. Great diversionary work squirrels. After the implant work began being in the chair for an hour and a half, the sure footing of my steps had a little zig zag to them, but I remembered to look up into the tree before getting into the truck. I wanted to make sure a squadron of squirrels had not assembled to bombard me with acorns. I had safe entry into the truck. What an adventure. Could there be a squirrel mafia? I don't know but after yesterday, it seems likely. Just as I came out of the building, you know before getting to the truck in my zig zag step, the skies opened up with snow, snow, snow! The temps were above freezing, so it wasn't sticking but it was so beautiful to drive through. In Weaverville, the snow showers were much heavier so the few things needed from Publix, got picked up quickly and thankfully, didn't get behind an Instacart shopper so checking out was a fast paced endeavor. 

The Natty was on last night, Ohio State vs Alabama. I watched the first half, a lot more calmly than watching the whole game last year with LSU in it. Alabama has such a great team. This morning someone said they should be called the Kleenex team cause if one goes down, the next one steps up and in, and does the job. Not a great falling off. As a LSU fan, this isn't difficult to write because this year's Bama team, with returning seniors, accomplished their mission. My favorite play from the past season for LSU, the throwing of the shoe by Florida. 

Somebody on FB market is selling a recliner for $20.00. It is one of those big, overstuffed arms and head rest recliner. I kind of laughed thinking back when my brother was going through my parent's house and getting ready to put it on the market. Two big ol' same type recliners to sell or give away. But due to the wear and tear, and the odious fragrance and I'll let you come to the conclusion of said fragrance, he couldn't give those things away. Neither Salvation Army or Goodwill wanted them. So good luck to FB market selling your recliner. Hope always springs eternal. 

In yesterdays cold, snowy and wet weather, there isn't much that could tempt me to go outside. Ensconced and warm, I watched from the window the UPS driver deliver the package. I knew it was from Williams Sonoma. The coffee maker I ordered in November had finally arrived. So, yes, that delivery tempted me to go out and get that package. Normally, I would just go through the garage, but the door was at the perfect height for the cats and they had settled into their corner, so out the front door I went. This morning the old coffee maker probably made its last batch of coffee, but I keeping it for backup. Roy talked me out of bringing it upstairs to the bonus room and encouraged me to do a one cup Keurig up here. Takes up less space and maybe not as messy. 

Got the kiddos fed and opened up the garage door. When it warms up a few more degrees, I will go down to the road and pick up the trash bin. Too wet and windy yesterday to make that journey down to the road. 

A report on the resistance bands...the box after being delivered a week or so ago, has been opened! I repeat, resistance bands for exercise, recommended for Roy by his physical therapist have been opened and maybe kind of used on Sunday night. So this is the result when an over-achiever marries a chiever but the chiever is an overthinker. Roy wants to focus on the stepper platform and I'm reminding him, nicely of course, he needs to do the exercises and not concentrate on an implement used to test his fitness. The therapist has stressed, he really, no really really, needs to increase his upper body strength. As a practicing yet trying to not practice being an overthinker, my thoughts are this, he is going to get backdoored by something he didn't prepare or think about as he concentrates on what he is really good at doing. Of course this being said by someone who has always had upper body strength, but I did share with him from the not so long ago, knee replacements. Before surgery I concentrated on building quad strength, but not hamstring. That came back to bite me, right in the hamstring. Also, I did do a lot of upper shoulder and arm work cause that is very helpful as one rehabs, but I ignored core work and that, yes ladies and gentlemen, hindered me in my two weeks at the rehab hospital. 

************

Wednesday morning and lots of fog, not just fog but freezing fog. I am still making coffee with the old coffee maker. I didn't get around to unpacking and then cleaning the new one. I had several projects going yesterday and that one didn't quite make it on the schedule. Like I have a schedule. I did some research on getting a single serving Keruig for upstairs and so far the reviews of the choices isn't giving me any assurance that these could be a total waste of money. Looking at other brands as well but so far nothing looks good. 

I did start reading a book last night, Under the Gilded Moon. The setting is Asheville and the story of a family who is resisting the offers being made to buy their land from George Vanderbilt. The story line drew me in immediately, even though I fell asleep reading it. Woke up and went to bed, only to wake up at 2:00 am, wide awake, so I got up and got back to the book. Several times already a reference to the Approach Road has been made and I can visualize that road. 

No comments: