Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Works and Plays Well With Others, Robbed at Gunpoint

 In the continuing saga of regathering up life before the morning of December 18th, we have made a huge dent in the journey but there are still a lot of miles to go. This was the kind of day that we decided to take off and get some things accomplished. We got out early and made a lot of stops along the way taking care of putting in supplies and of course we are on the never ending quest for cat food. We hit pay dirt in that area so the Ferals can have a variety of flavors to choose from. All of Roy's medicine and blood testing kit were stolen so we were on search for the basic blood sugar monitor and we found it at the last place we stopped, Walmart. Not our super store but a smaller one along the way. Found what he was looking for and they had almost all their checkout lanes open, so truly it was an in and out experience. It was a Christmas Miracle! Before arriving home, we stopped for a late lunch, delicious Mexican food and they have really, really, really good salsa. Really. Now if someone would just add chili gravy to the enchiladas, it would be so appreciated. 

Sunday through this morning when we wake up, Roy says to me, I would order you some gingerbread men from Three Brothers, but....I don't have a credit card. Then he laughs no chuckles. I smile but it is a slight smile. We are learning to share the one computer and my cell phone. We are going to make an appointment so he can get his replaced. In the midst of it all we are having fun despite the circumstances that kind of linger in the back of our minds. 

Saturday morning, after leaving the rapture looking house, I began the trip to Mobile. I think it rained the whole length of the trip. Some being very do-able and some of the rain so heavy, like driving though hurricane kind of rain. Alabama needs to remark some of their lanes over bridges as they rebuild Alabama. The only thing I could think of was, if something happens to me, go off the road or be in a wreck, what would happen to Roy? I do believe friends would have helped him and that is comforting to know. Before leaving, I gave him a bunch of phone numbers to close accounts and keep him occupied, but clearly not enough to keep him busy while waiting for his rescue. We would check in every so often and friends were calling and keeping me company. The strangest thing, my Bluetooth would cut in and out on the road. I would be where all the bars were filled in and a ton of dropped calls. Then, the Bluetooth and phone would not connect again, so I would use the speaker phone. You have to be careful in Georgia because it a no hands phone state. Another thing, you don't want to be messing with everything and try to dive through the deluge. At one point, I had exited to find a bathroom and chose a Cracker Barrel and it was hiding from me. My trusty CB side kick Dena was not there to help me find and then navigate the parking lot. While going back to the freeway, there it stood, the CB. I was talking to Peggy at the time and I was so exasperated with the entrance and then finding a parking place in the most illogical parking lot ever! I do believe I cussed and then apologized but sometimes, a little cuss word helps the medicine go down. I was planning on picking up some sweet sustenance to keep me awake, but the line to check out was very long. Decided to check them on the flip side. Peggy is saying to me, be careful, don't trip and break your other hip. 

While driving to Mobile and in prayer for Roy, for me and for so many others, I kept reminding the Lord that Roy REALLY needed me to get there and not skid off the road in deepest darkest Alabama. 

An employee at the HI Express bought Roy a couple of hamburgers for lunch. He was starving. He called me around 5:30 to check in with me and get an estimated time of arrival. He said, we will have to pay a late checkout fee, so you'll have to come in and take care of that. What????  He is robbed in the parking lot, the parking lot that doesn't have a camera then he is robbed later that evening when we paid for the late checkout. HI Express sent a survey and a review of the hotel. I don't think they will let that one be posted. We were honest and truthful, but not spiteful or meanspirited in what we wrote. If we were mean, we would have talked really loud about Roy being robbed at 7:20 am, in the daylight while paying the $71.00. Then we would have said, don't park out front, there are no cameras on that part of the parking lot. 

********

Good Wednesday morning! Nothing will make you move faster than thinking fraud on one of my credit cards had occurred this morning. Off to the phone to check on things and everything is fine. Just a new addition to what is emailed to you. If the 18th hadn't happened, I would have figured it was a phishing scam. We slept in a bit today, well I got up at 3:30 am to get the roast in the crock pot and then came back to bed. Roy had stayed up till midnight working on the claim for the insurance on the contents of the car. Man, he did a good job packing. We just said we are looking forward to a day which is just normal but then I thought of friends and others whose days will never return to normal. We both thanked the Lord for non normal days, together. 

We are still processing the 18th in our minds and emotions. Sometimes we find ourselves doing the "what ifs" and we are pretty good at stopping that line of thinking, but it creeps in for sure. I listened to Roy explain to the insurance person what happened that morning. She was asking for details yet compassionate in her responses to him. The more he talks through the experience the more we are wondering if this had been an inside job. Who knows? Well, someone does and they are not telling us. He asked when he checked in if the front lot was safe and was assured it was. He said he almost moved the car but didn't. See, there is one of those what ifs. Roy has said it was one of his calmest moments in the scariest moments of his life. That is the Lord's doing but as he went through the details with insurance, his voice cracked a couple of times. 

Sometimes the odd response is given to situations. ABCCM, ministry here, was looking for large sizes in women's shoes. Oh, yes, I can help with that. I had just taken some shoes to Goodwill, just to get them out of the house and told my friend when she asked my shoe size, dang I don't have any right now. She said to me, yeah, you're probably one of those people who can't throw stuff away that isn't any good, so you gave them to Goodwill. Uh, I was so shocked at what she said, I didn't even respond. That was probably a God thing. When I got home I wanted to call her and say, they were new shoes, several pairs of tennis shoes. She doesn't know me very well but throwing away or getting rid of stuff or the best, giving something away that is good is right there in my sweet spot. Someone made an odd comment about the robbery and such. Y'all, with the robbery, it is Roy I am the happiest about and while there are sentimental things that were stolen, I have the memories of the joy they brought to my spirit. We have never one time talked about revenge, like God go get them. We have prayed for him and we call him the young man when we talk to the Lord. Now, when Roy has to repeat the story to police, insurance and banks, he uses the term criminal but not to God. We want the young man to come to know Jesus not have a come to Jesus meeting.  Really, if all the paperwork was returned, we would be exceedingly happy. We lost a lot of cash in the robbery (hurricane funds), keepsakes, daily convivence items, clothing and the SUV and the young man could keep all those things. Yes, even the delicious gingerbread men and the Goode Company BBQ sauce. The important was Roy but paperwork would be nice. Maybe we come across as materialistic to this person...well, there was a day but it was a long time ago. 

It's time to give Roy the computer to finish with the claim and then begin the next phase of taking care of items. 

No comments: