Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Pride Before the Slide

 It was so good being at church yesterday. Being among friends, wrapped up in God's love and provision, the encouraging words that will return to our remembrance while we toil away at getting paperwork righted and the like. I think the lesson made sense, I was all over the place but it felt like all the men of Christmas got covered, with a bit of a slight to the shepherds, but they were out in the fields watching their sheep and probably didn't realize it. The background and context of the times was so interesting to study. It gave such a great background why God sent His Son at that time. While reading Matt 2, I can always hear Charles Reat being King Herod in Pageant. The story of Joseph became more real this Christmas. Never speaks a line of conversation but we see his obedience.  The sermon was insightful and good. We returned home for leftovers for lunch. Roy is still getting acclimated, so Sunday afternoon hit him hard and he napped. Something he rarely does. The afternoon was warm but not oppressively hot. Spent some time outside playing with the Feral Fam. Several of them like the chase the rubber fish on the end of a child's fishing pole game, Sweetie being the main player. 

Roy's declaration of getting up at 5:00 am was a one day practice. Haha! I love watching him shed off the obligations of a career and working. He is really taking advantage of our down time because we will be ramping up, good mega church word, in the coming weeks as the stuff of Houston life arrives and we give away or make room. In fact Roy spoke with the movers and the possibility of them being here toward the end of next week is good. I think Roy is adjusting to retirement and a change in the landscape rather well. 

We began rearranging thing in the garage with the movers coming in mind. We worked a bit on that and will continue in the coming days. Mary, Jesus and Joseph are stored away until next Christmas as well as the little red Christmas tree truck. We can also knock off a few more things on the paperwork list. Roy sticks with it and has patience for it but not this child. My oh my. 

********

It's a rainy morning here. It has kind of changed the timing of our plans to later or to another day. Late yesterday afternoon our neighbor called and asked if he could put the compost out at the top of our flowerbed before the rain started. Sure, this is some of the best compost ever. Last spring I used it for flowers and they were prolific. Roy and I pulled on our muck boots and headed out the door with rakes and shovels. Ah, the mixture of horse poop, sawdust, and leaves. Steve gave us four front loaders full of this compost gold. We began working it into the flowerbed. Now this particular flowerbed is on an incline. I'm telling Roy to be careful, he still thinks like a flatlander, and then I added, I do this kind of chore all the time, so just follow my example and we will get this knocked out in no time. In hindsight, I should have ended the sentence with be careful because I have been studying for the lesson in Ezekiel 28 and included in this lesson is one on pride. Yep, it's funny how God can make a point of a lesson for you with full application. These piles of poop are getting slippery with all the shoveling and raking. Instead of standing behind the pile, I stood in front of it and as I was raking it toward me, the pile crumbled and I tumbled. As several have said, I was slip sliding away. It was as if I was sledding on snow only it was horse poop and I didn't have a sled. The trusty rake wasn't too helpful and after sliding the length of the flower bed, I called out to Roy who had missed the whole show, help! I've fallen and I can't get up. No cute guy from the commercial assured me that help was on the way, it was just the sound of laughter coming from Roy. I was laughing as well but knew I could not let it go uncontrolled because that would not help a thing. Being surrounded and immersed by poo Roy is telling me to let go of the rake and he will pull me up. No, cause the rake is keeping me from putting my hand in the compost. Did I have on gloves? No. He begins pulling me down to the driveway for sure footing in order for me to stand as well as him not being pulled into the mess. In the background the noise of Steve and the front loader is getting closer. My goal is to get up before he arrives back at our flowerbed so he doesn't offer to help me get up by using the front loader. I look at my right foot to make sure it isn't leaning outward cause I slip slided on my right hip, the one that has been replaced. Straight up, should be good to go. With one mighty tug, Roy had me on my feet and the first thing he said is, you can keep the shirt. I had on one of his denim shirts over my tshirt since it was feeling a tad cooler. My backside was covered in compost. I took off my boots, didn't pass go, went straight into the house, throwing my clothes in the washer as I passed by, then headed for the shower. 


My artistic rendition of the event. To say that Roy has had a lot of fun with this whole compost event, would be putting it rather mildly. We were watching the Miss State and Tech game and he would say, I smell compost, do you? Haha, it is to laugh. Then he said he didn't follow directions to do as I did and slip down in compost. Let's just say, for this particular episode in not being prideful, Pride comes before the slide. 

These exciting days. 


No comments: