Thursday, February 3, 2022

Fresh Wonder On Old Paths

 While cleaning out boxes I came across a quote and while I wrote the quote down, I didn't write how the author of it is. So not original to me but it is a great thought. "I found fresh wonder on old paths." 

For this time lots of fresh wonder looking back on boxes full of old paths and now making a new path to the garbage bag. Getting the pictures, journals and memories down to fewer storage containers and getting a lot of them put away in the closet. Still have a ways to go because this is such a slow process. There are several items that I have held onto and there might be some value to them but it is the tedious work in research and then finding the person who might be interested in the items. This sounds like a Roy job.  Guess I am emulating the slow process of Zoom appointments, phone calls and paperwork that Roy is so wonderfully plodding through. This morning he has a phone appointment and later he has a Toastmaster meeting. He is trying to do everything for Toastmasters in order to wrap up duties as a district area representative. 

This morning I put on a pork lion to cook in the slow cooker. It has been awhile since making this particular meal. Other than bacon and ham before living here, pork didn't make it into any kind of meal prep. When we were first married, I did make smothered pork chops but that recipe fell of the rotation. 

Slowly but surely we are replacing items that can be replaced from the robbery in Mobile at the Holiday Inn Express off of I 65. Roy found a great deal on a lap top and I found him a great deal on a winter parka at Eddie Bauer's online. He had been wearing one we purchased in 1989 or so and it kept him warm. Good for temps 32 degrees below zero. Just like shoulder pads in football over the years technology has gotten better so now the new parka is lightweight and still will keep him warm in 32 degrees below zero temps. Going to the mailbox to pick up a few packages was just the opportunity he needed to test this thing out. He loves the parka. While not loosing any socks in the robbery, I did get two pairs because we can all always use socks and we qualified for free shipping while ordering some fleeces. It's all good. 

Anderson Cooper's book on the Vanderbilts continues to hold my interest even with all the sadness that comes with these stories. There are so many avenues he could take but thankfully, he has kept the chapters on a particular lineage of the family. Richard Morris Hunt makes appearances it seems with all the Vanderbilts building and furnishings needs or wants. I haven't gotten to the part on Gloria Vanderbilt, Anderson's mother, but the Truman Capote appearance holds sway with just reading the book on Capote's relationship with NYC society and such. I always look at the pictures in a book before reading it. 

As I have been going through another closet this morning if I have thought my ADD has been in remission, well sadly I was in denial. In the items removed I have gone through my 2014 going to make an art journal, to think I will learn how to can, specifically salsa, to any all kinds of brown kraft paper that would make great notes or stationary, and of course the ubiquitous travel journals and I don't really like to travel nor am I good at it. Then back to the 2020 plywood project that might get a looksee from me again. From thing to think to thing. Even found an unopened scrap book I bought in the former east Germany. Out my house!  

A survey was taken among residents of our county and the consensus is nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live here, except since it was survey of residents, they are already living here. Rent is too high and other stuff like that. I don't think I would want to live in the city and the rural area where we are is changing, but we love living here, for the most part. I think our main concern is the slow pace and it was this way before Covid 19, in which you can receive an appointment for anything medical baring a miracle and thankfully I have experienced a couple of those miracle appointments. 

I must get back to the wonder of old paths because I have gone onto wander for the time being. 



No comments: