Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Just Traveling on Elderly Road...Somewhat Reluctantly

 Happy President's Day everyone or Happy Day Off From School or Happy Birthday Lois N! It is all three today. The sun is out, the morning is cool and the afternoon holds warmer temps. Rain begins tonight and will probably last throughout the week, but we shall see. Nothing is written in stone when it comes to weather here. 

After wearing a pair of hiking boots for about three years and can happily say, no real hiking has been done in them, more like trips to stores hiking, I realized that those hiking shoes are more blue than gray. I have always thought they were in the gray spectrum of color. I will file this in the Under utilized file-now that I am elderly...at least to others. Funny, I used to tease my Grandma B cause she would have on shoes that didn't match her dress and she'd laugh and say, one day this isn't going to matter to you but since it does today, I will change my shoes. Not that we were going anywhere, cause she didn't have a car nor did she know how to drive. So, although I can drive and have transportation, too often now I think, Grandma B was right, there are many days this doesn't matter to me. Of course I try not to expose the grocery stores and post office to the mix mash of colors but around home and Lowe's, Katy bar the door. 

Roy and I were able to have breakfast conversation time this morning. Only happens if he gets up at 6:00 am cause for the most part, the hour of arising from sleep is a little more after 7:00 am for this elderly girl. He told me some story that didn't make a lick of sense and it wasn't until we broke down the story that understanding came for me. It was a metaphor story only that wasn't understood. He finally said, it isn't that good of a story, so let's talk about something else. Yes, I have just taken up some of your valuable time relating this conversation. We did talk about why I am not feeling a 100 % and what could be causing this malaise. It wasn't until Saturday, while visiting with Christy, of Christy's Crafts, and telling her the happenings since December 18th, that she said...all these things wrapped together feel like you've had a full time job. That's it! I haven't felt this way since the last year of working at First Baptist-Houston. Timelines and projects, with the additional pressure that we were feeling to get things accomplished in an excellent manner, took their toll on me heath wise. Not that we weren't doing an excellent job, because we were. It just felt heavy and cumbersome. That is how I have been feeling with deadlines, working through the system for approval for benefits, extra patience for state agencies when things were in flux and the like. Top it off with feeling insecure in teaching Ezekiel and Daniel, plus adjusting with Roy here. Truthfully, that has not been that much of an adjustment except for doing things in combination of what has been our individual customs, to sharing space. We do our quiet times differently, I am not always a morning quiet time person but Roy is pretty much, you can set your watch to his schedule. Well, except if he decides to sleep in a bit. 

*********

No surprise, but here it is Wednesday. Every once in a while you have busy days away from home. Yesterday, I had a haircut appointment and afterwards I went over to the dentist and ophthalmologist office. They are in the same building. Now here is where I felt elderly, I could not remember when my eye appointment was nor the Dr who I go to. Got that info but kept calling the Dr by my cardiologist's name...both begin with B. The wonderful receptionist/check in person then spoke slowly to me asking if I wanted a card with the info written down...yes, please. Then made Roy's appointment and he will go the following day in August. Got a card with date and name. Upstairs to the dentist to make an appointment for Roy. That will be in May. Nothing is quick around here appointment wise and Roy is adjusting better to that than I did when first arriving here and needing appointments. 

The bike guy came yesterday, didn't have the correct parts for the recumbent bike but put the spin bike together in no time. Once the parts arrive, he will come back and repair the recumbent bike, which is still working but not efficiently. Since the guy was here, I wasn't in too big of a hurry to get back home. After making appointments, I made a Target stop. I don't know what is going on there but that usual neat and orderly store was a humongous mess. It didn't seem to be from putting new stock out because the shelves were rather bare, but it seemed as if, they decided winter was over and piled and threw stuff on tables or overcrowded racks. Even the lawn and garden area was sparse, as well as Easter stuff. I know supply chain issues but still, it was rather a gruesome sight of maybe the horizon of an in person shopping experience. Nice thing, no long lines to checkout. On the way home, stopped at Hobby Lobby to look at small Easter gift bags, bingo, found some and then stopped on the way home at the post office. The surprising delight of the Hobby Lobby stop, no long lines to checkout. Yes, I see the elderly is creeping in on me. I see you old age and some stuff I welcome and other stuff, well, there still is some fight in me. 

Saw Bobbsey from a distance this morning as well as a huge not good surprise of Frankie or one of Frankie's offspring. Could not tell. It has been over a year since he has been around and for this I am thankful, but seeing him up on a rock in the backyard this morning, brought out the elderly fist shake at him. Breakfast was a full fam deal with growl fest continuing because Punky and Mama Cat were both in attendance. Everyone else kind of gave them room. Lots of growls but no fights. Charlie let me pet him a little this morning but food has a way of letting the young ones be more open to a little rub on the head. 

The afternoon turned out nice and the sun came out yesterday. Roy thought we should go walk at Lake Louise but being in the later part of the day when my energy wanes, we decided to do some dead plant pulling, box flattening and storage box go throughs in the nice warmth of the outdoors. I do not feel 100% but I feel much better than last week. Guess that is what happens as one travels the elderly road. 

No comments: