Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Out of Vacay Mode, Sure Surprised Me

 Yesterday, I threw away things that my mother had saved from my school days. Like workbooks, not that they held any clue of academic genius because they don't. Read the story, draw a line to objects found in the story. No, not one hint of promise in those reading workbooks. Some incomplete pages because I got bored with it. This early morning as Roy and I talked over coffee and before he eats his oatmeal, the conclusion came to me, the environment when it came to learning, didn't mesh except for when I went to summer school in the fourth grade so I could pass onto the fifth grade and 7th grade summer school for math with Mr. Batcher. I don't remember too much about fourth grade summer school except it was hot. No, walking eighteen miles in the snow, no just sweating bullets in a hot, only cooled by those big noisy fans summer school. In 7th grade math summer school, I made an A. I understood what was being taught. I loved going to class. It was also my first experience with a die hard Aggie. He talked about being an Aggie everyday in class. Of course back then, I enjoyed the stories but didn't buy in because only boys could go to A&M in the olden days. 

Lots and lots of pictures made it into the trash bag. Doug told me when he was going through things at our parents house before it went on the market, he tossed so many old photographs...mainly of scenery or trips that didn't mean anything to him or rather to us. With that mindset, I went through pictures that have been dragged around for years, with people I cannot even remember or places that look familiar but why I was there doesn't even ring a bell. So many photos faded out with time, but it was a joyful moment to see pics from trips to Colorado, the audit we did in Conn, vacationing in Napa and Sonoma, San Francisco, our beach trips to Jekyll Island, Savannah, Hilton Head, and along the coast of Florida. My, my how fashion changes over the years, hairstyles both good and bad... I saw in an article yesterday that stirrup pants are back. Think I am just going to take a pass on that fashion road. 

Next to go were cards bought over the years with people in mind to send them to, except I never sent them. Now, those cards after all these years of lugging them from move to move, most of them were thrown away. The envelope sticky part meshed onto a lot of those cards making them unusable. Some were so yellow with age. Some of those cards still make me laugh. There were quite a few cards from the season when I loved the Current Catalog.  

Just got in from feeding The Feral Fam. Biggio let me pet him this morning and KH left his calling card on Biggio's back leg. I really, really, really do not like King Herod. I got a little bit of the ointment I used on Hector Protector on him. I think he knows I am trying to help him. It is almost as if KH knows which cats I favor and he goes after them. That is giving too much credit to a cat but it sure seems like it. 

**********

After several good nights of sleep, I am having one of those middle of the night wake up calls. Usually, due to overthinking something but sometimes I just wake up, wide awake. This was a little bit of all in this particular wake up. It was a profitable day yesterday. Roy got a lot of things cleared up paperwork wise, with another visit to UPS to send and fax. I talked with TX DMV and think we have things figured out. Whew! Now it is all that waiting...

Today holds more phone calls but it is a good day to stay in and take care of things. I finally was able to go back to sleep and this morning, truly, I am easing into the day. Slept a little later and the first thing I did downstairs is go out and feed the Feral Fam. Toupee was back after a days absence. She was eager for breakfast and along side her, Blazey. Those two eat together and I put out two bowls to keep fussing to a minimum. This afternoon I hope to tackle one of the upstairs closets to see what can go and how to use the space a little more functionally. Storage is limited here or isn't as much as we grew used to. Still it was the view and the house that drew us in. We are coming up to our seventh year. 

Roy is making a dent in paperwork, I am making a dent in unpacking boxes. We make a good team. Together, we worked together pulling all the confirmations we need for an upcoming appointment. He sorted and stapled, then put into folders. My part was going onto the internet and finding what we needed online. He said yesterday, he felt like he was getting out of vacation mode. Wow, he sure had me fooled. 




No comments: