Monday, January 31, 2022

Boxes, Letters and Poetry

 The continuous journey of going through box after box seems never ending. Although I have come across a few items that has given me pause. The notebook from college that I began when I was writing out Bible studies. Jumbled studies at best with no theme, but I remember many of them to this day. That was kind of fun looking through them. Then I found a letter from a Sunday School teacher during Married Young Adult days at First Baptist. Let's just say, this teacher didn't particularly care for me, nor I her. This whole letter is admonishing me. Apparently, we overslept church and Sunday School, thus my part of the lesson of reading a passage and then telling the class what I had learned created a huge distraction for this teacher. She pulled aside another member of the class to ask questions about me. This Cheryl, who I don't remember at all told the teacher I hated public speaking...Cheryl didn't know me very well, did she? This letter I haven't thought of since, well probably since the day of receiving the letter, but just now when I read it, it all came back to me. I read it to Roy and just now he remembered when I got that letter. It was different back then. Churches now court young couples with children or just young people. When we were in MYA there were some good teachers mixed in along with a lot of passive aggressive bitter old people who didn't really encourage, but excelled in grinding everyone down. I still remember the Education Minister coming to the department and telling us we were causing the long lines at bathrooms and the reason the parking lot filled so quickly. We all should have left. A long time ago, when Dena first began teaching, I made a solemn vow to her I would not disrupt her class in anyway like I had done so previously as a child, teenager and young adult. You know cussing in class to get kicked out, studying more than the teacher to takeover the class with questions I felt she could not answer. Yes, many years at the beginning of a promotion year to the next grade in Sunday School, my mother would call the teacher and say, I am saving you a hard call you'll want to make later. Let's go ahead and meet so we can at least know one another before discussing Nancy's conduct in class. 

We watched football yesterday, rooting for the Bengals because of Joey B and Chase. It was difficult though cause the Honey Badger and Clyde are on the Chiefs. Roy decided to do paperwork upstairs during the Rams/49s game. I was on the phone for most of it but did see the end of the game. These have been thrilling games in the post season. 

It felt good to be out for just a couple of minutes in the balmy 45 degree temps yesterday afternoon. The sun came out but the windy breeze kept it on the cool side. I fed the Feral Fam early in the late afternoon. Just a few in attendance because after being cooped up for a bit, they needed to get out and roam. It is easier to get them fed when they are not all in attendance. I just came in and it was almost a full house this morning. Junior and Biggio in attendance, but Mr Biggio has been in a fight and with his back legs looking like they do, I believe this is the work of KH. He hasn't been around as much but he is still a presence. Biggio did not greet me but was under a table as Sweetie sat with him. He came out to eat a little which is good. I did not get too close to him because I have to remember he is a feral cat and I do not want him to bite or scratch me because he is afraid and defensive. 

Not even 9:00 am and Roy has already been on the phone with SSA, mainly for mailing info but again, told something different. We have filled out all the forms everyone wants and so once again we will be visiting our new BBF, UPS. We have a generator appointment this morning as well as Roy has Toastmasters, as well as a Zoom call a little later. Meanwhile, I go through boxes of stuff. Believe me I would rather go through the boxes. Let me give a shout out to our friend Jennell, she helped Roy with so much on Saturday. She learned all of this Medicare stuff working at the hospital and has kept up with all the changes throughout the years. Thank you, Jennell. She has helped with DMV questions as well. A fount of blessing for sure. 

I used to write a lot of poetry, bad poetry, but none the less, it was something creative. So this morning, I leave you with a poem written while either in high school or early in college. 

The Donut Queen

She's known very well in this place- the shop in which she fills her face.

The table is set with such grace and care for there is so many donuts to prepare

Sugar, jelly, cream filled is the demand as she gathers them up with her hand

These donuts she begins to seize but there must be more than just these!!

With much gusto, the plate she attacks and as she does the chair goes, crack!

But she doesn't care, she doesn't mind it's just a little extra weight on her behind.

In her desperation she tries to restrain but when you love donuts it's all done in vain.

This was a wonderful, stupendous, victorious day!

She'd eaten all the donuts before the plate was taken away.

Miss Donut Queen she was crowned, but she didn't wear a formal for she was too round.

People crowded around, they knew she wouldn't fail because that girl had the ribs of a whale.

They wanted to erect a memorial, a shrine. She could be the Queen forever-she'd never resign.

As she pulled herself off the floor and headed out the wide load door, she was heard to say

You can have your cookies , tea and such

but just give to me, Hot Shipley Donuts! 


NC friends, Shipley Donuts is a legend and mainstay of the donut world in much of Texas. 


No comments: