Sunday, January 16, 2022

Izzy and The Snow Fizzy

 Getting lots of texts and emails on how to prepare for a winter storm. We are doing laundry and I just vacuumed downstairs. Made taco soup last night and we stocked up on all of life's necessities, Diet Coke, Dr Enuff, snacks, sweets, boiled shrimp, tacos and strawberries...oh and some peeled orange slices. I moved everything on the front deck out of the way in case we needed to leave via the front door so we wouldn't be rolling on the river so to speak. Roy was bemoaning we didn't buy a sled the other day...uh, not being a party pooper here but our sledding days are over and we need to be more diligent about our slipping days. Slipping days are not usually of the fun sort. I also reminded him we will not be walking in a winter wonderland, we will be watching a winter wonderland. Pictures taken from the house are beautiful. Anyway, we await and watch all the weather as snow accumulations go up one hour and the next hour, it could be just ice. It could be snow and ice, or sleet or freezing rain or snow. Guess we are getting the smorgasbord of winter precip. 

Due to the coming storm, I have kind of a lesson prepared for Sunday School because I feel we will not have church. Also, this is not a favorite lesson this week because it feels agenda driven. Don't get me wrong the theme is important. I kind of got wore out with agenda driven sermons for capital campaigns or initiatives for the future or for whatever or even lessons for small groups that sustains directives, initiatives and the like. (as you can see I am a practicing run on sentence writer)  Sanctity of Life Sunday which I am all for but sometimes it isn't inclusive enough from before birth, I was just about to write after birth...but...that could be taken as something else totally, so after being born, living in all the seasons of life and then inching toward the end of life here on earth. Looking toward eternity. Anyway, if we have class we will cover the Israelites and how they approached life where wrongdoing is justified, callousness becomes the norm and Psalm 139, God's relationship with us. Going differently on Psalm 139 just a bit. Not a shock because I rarely cover what is in the quarterly, because you know, people read it or skim it or have lost their quarterly. I have been all those people I  am sad to report. 

It has been about a week since I have had one of those get up in the middle of the night things because I am wide awake. Of course one reason is to check on the status of snow and it is snowing a little bit right now. Looks to increase as the night goes on into morning. Our last snow was tiny flakes and the anticipation of larger snowflakes is kind of fun. This evening it was good to see that most of the Feral Fam have taken refuge in the garage and they're using the back corner where cat beds and blankets are. Gave them extra food to help keep them warmer tonight. 

Went through a small box and found a bunch more pictures. Some M&G and the HFBC Orchestra's Pop Concert. They played the William Tell Overture and Drew, Peggy, Ronnie and I played the parts of Lone Ranger, Tonto and escaped criminals. It was great fun and it felt like we were in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Pictures of Roy when he was in Pageant but my health kept me from participating. Lots and lots of pictures and I realize I have been able to do a lot of fun things. Do I want to do these kinds of things again? Nope! But it sure was a lot of fun. I love posting them because a lot of people remember those times and hopefully a little smile comes to their faces. 

***********

Snow is blowing, snow is falling, it's true, Izzy has arrived just like she was forecasted to do. I can really hear the wind in this front room downstairs, more so than any other room in the house. The blanket of snow is covering imperfections for the day and the road out front is blanketed with snow and probably some ice. We've seen a few very brave people driving this morning but that number is very low. The road verses the ditches along the side are not seeable, at least from our view point at a distance. I also realized this morning when people are asked to check on their elderly neighbors...we have changed from checker to the check on category.  I am happy not to have to go through this winter blast alone. 

Well, our neighbors are out there and Roy joined them clearing off our driveway. Earlier a man on an ATV had a snow scrapper on the back of it and was clearing the main road we live off of snow. Does a heart good to see people out helping. Several guys with winches on their trucks have been pulling cars out of ditches this afternoon. One thing, I got so tickled about is Roy and his muck boots. He can get one off but struggles with the one left on a foot. He got me laughing so hard and of course that doesn't help his situation. We are going to have to get a boot jack or whatever they are called for him. I went weak laughing and wasn't too much help. 

We've only had one little blip with power today, so that's good. Looks like other counties are having more of a problem with that. We are at a snow standstill once again. We might have a little more snow this evening. Thankful that the wind is not blowing hard. Guess it is time to watch some football, so that's what I will do. 

No comments: