Tuesday, December 19, 2023

🎵All Flannelled Up. Well Bless My Soul🎵

 The big weather system our area anticipated dispatched itself over to the middle and eastern part of the state. We had light rain and overcast skies. A dreary day but not of the heart. Roy and I loaded the truck Saturday night for all the things we needed to take for Sunday morning. My class had a little Christmas party so a few more decorations, cookies and gifts needed to be ready to roll. We even went earlier than usual and the time flew by while setting up. As friends came in, they volunteered to do the fine tuning or completing a task. The Joy Class knows how to have fun and we also know the power of prayer and studying The Word. The class knows my love language is books, so I possess a gift card that I will put to good use after the holidays and once bookstores settle back into the regular routine. My gifts to the class? Christmas socks. Warm and cozy toesies for Christmas. I am so thankful and grateful for our class. Generous to a fault and they put up with me. We sure do love one another...

Sunday afternoon we returned home and ate the pot roast I fixed on Saturday. Pretty good. Then we divided and then froze the Amish hamburger meat we got on Friday. Think we got about ten containers for the freezer. Lots of taco soup in the future. 

Sunday evening, well late afternoon, we went to First Presbyterian for a Christmas concert. Oh my goodness it was so beautiful. A blend of sacred classical, traditional carols and string quartet. It has been a couple of years since attending a Christmas concert or play. The gift on top of it all is, finally being inside a church that fit the description of churches and chapels in Gail Godwin's books. It felt like a church you would find in the mountains of WNC. I would say Mitford series instead of Gail Godwin but Jan Karon is just an author whose narrative style and my brain don't mix. Have had the set twice and twice given to Goodwill or to our church yard sale, not even making it through the first book in the series. We met friends for the concert and also saw friends that we had thought they moved. The pastor gave a brief, not a sermon or talk but I guess a Christmas encouragement of rejoicing and joy in the newborn King. We all stayed afterwards for refreshments in the fellowship hall. Beautiful stone fireplace and the refreshments were pretty good. Hot apple cider and hot chocolate with all the fixings. The drive home was quite entertaining as we ooohed and awed at the Christmas lights.  We have missed out on seeing these lights over the years but I think that renewed refresh of maybe being too comfortable in the routine might just get us out more. These rural roads especially at night can be an adventure. Back to the music for a moment, several musical pieces reminded me of Pageant days. One song that we used back in the day in Pageant is The March of the Kings. I never knew there were words to the song. The choir here, not a large choir by any means, but a choir with a great sound and a fabulous director. 

*********

This morning I read about the Baylor University Christmas program. There isn't a station near that is televising it but I will be sure to catch the Baylor You Tube channel to hear it. I love since Baylor is known for their music dept that they also list the arrangers of the music being performed. In the article they talked about the healing in music and why we need the beauty of music. Not being a music person by training but simply one that appreciates the work to produce these sounds, I always find music and music people interesting. Through the years in choirs I have picked up enough to be dangerous but not enough to be useful. On Sunday night I tapped on the shoulder a woman dressed in all black holding a choir folder and I said something stupid like, you must be a member of the choir because you are wearing and holding the accoutrements as a singer. She was rather grouchy in her response which made me think she just might be a soprano but in choir placement she was an alto. One of the two altos. No altos had solos...okay I know that isn't a usual thing but I thought hmmm, maybe I could get a solo in this choir. If Shepherd's Pipe Carol had been on the program, I just might have run up there to help because the alto part is so hard. You just have to sing ahhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhh till page 17 and then you get to sing, On the way to Bethlehem. 

We are trying to get a few at home projects done this week. With the temps being in the 20s and no desire to get cold, all the sudden these long procrastinated projects might come to completion. Before beginning the projects, taco soup assembled, made and now cooking. This truly is the time and temp for taco soup. 

It looks like all the work, at least the big things, has been completed on the houses across the street. Over the weekend all the ground was leveled and machinery moved. The one story home is under contract. 

For this coldish day I am all flannelled up. Flannel lined jeans, long sleeve t-shirt and a big thick sweatshirt. 🎵I'm all flannelled up...uuuuhmmm hmmmmm all flannelled up!🎵


No comments: