Thursday, December 14, 2023

Living Christmas, Cats and Slow Internet

 The fragrance of Christmas has over come the essence of sloppy joes, finally. Cranberries, slice orange, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks on a low heating setting penetrates the downstairs. It was so Christmassy, I ate two Christmas cookies. 

When will shoe and boot manufactures and makers realize there are women in this world who have big feet. Hi, my name is Nancy and I wear a size 12 shoe. Now I would really look silly if I wore a size 7. There would be numerous instances of toppling over which by its own right is a whole set of a-nother problem. Too late for me but now many carry size 11. I'll have to take the good attitude route and just say, well, I am saving money if they do not have cute boots or shoes in my size. The End. 

Our class will be having a Christmas party this Sunday, so I don't have to study for a lesson. I had great plans on getting projects taken care of but today, my body just wasn't having it. Before lunch, I told Roy I needed to lie down for a bit. Mr Mo and GMoey decided that was a good idea, thus joining me on the daybed. This fall and now turning to winter, the front bedroom is my retreat. I partially got the project desk cleared off, so I wasn't totally unproductive this morning. 

Since we have been going to Erwin at least once a month, something that I have noticed is this separate freezer just for frozen tea biscuits at the end of an aisle. Usually it is either empty or maybe not a good expiration date, but last week we hit paydirt and bought a package. This morning since we would be easing into the day, it seemed like a great idea to make a couple of those biscuits. Oh my goodness!!!! They are pretty dang good, although not as good as Roy's, but almost. I opted for sourwood honey on them. Our neighbor gave us a quart jar of this liquid gold from their bees and it is delicious! 

********

We are back to living in the 20th century again with low wi-fi and internet problems. Roy has been on the phone with Spectrum. They called last night saying they had fixed the problem...uh no they haven't. 

This morning I got up briefly when Roy did and before falling back to sleep I saw a post from a friend asking about reading. How do you make time and other things you might do. I answered back before getting in that last little bit of sleep. Since 2020 and I know I have written about this before, I lost my ability to concentrate on anything much less reading. Someone would send a clip of something funny asking me to watch it. I couldn't my attention span was zero. I had really bad brain fog and I was fatigued. I blamed some of this on a new med that hadn't been adjusted for my particular requirements but I also thought it was somehow vaccine related. I tried to explain it to both of my doctors but they dismissed it as stress or most probably old age or something. There hasn't ever been a time when I didn't have at least two or three books going. Now, this didn't stop me from buying books thinking and hoping someday the interest would return. I do think the stress of Roy being robbed in Mobile and all that came with that contributed in 2021, but what I was dealing with happened way before that. My attention span or lack thereof probably cost a friendship. This year one of my favorite authors published a new book. So excited and ordered it. Sadly, I never finished it, because the F word was just about in every other sentence. I don't need to read that word or hear it cause I live in fear I might say the word especially at church if heard repeatedly. The book went into the Good Will box. Without going into more details of coming somewhat out of the funk, I tried reading for pleasure again. Hit and miss. I did read a book on Vivian Vance that held my attention but it helped that I'm a fan of I Love Lucy. Last night I picked up a novel and enjoyed it. I am looking forward to reading more this afternoon so there is a spark of joy in that. 

Once it gets above freezing I am heading out for a couple of errands. 

*********

I did run those errands to Burnsville and to Marshall. Had a great time enjoying the scenery and singing Christmas carols in the truck. Have to watch that though, I don't watch my speed when doing that but I did maintain. 

Looks like the little homes across the way are getting finished up. It seems odd to have them there yet it doesn't. 

The news came unexpectedly Monday evening that a friend from church in Houston had passed away. Our friendship mainly consisted of exchanging peculiarities based on far fetched ideas. Now that sounds strange, but we spent years talking about the bell covers I would create for her bells in the bell choir at church. We both knew that was never going to happen cause I don't sew but we arrived at outrageous designs. Then when she no longer rang bells we had to come up with other uses for my sewing and design ideas. Stalwart in  her faith and compassionate. Her husband passed away several months ago. They were a formable couple in life and at the church. 

We swept and cleaned The Garage on the Catmore Estate yesterday afternoon. Our guests are relatively neat but there are a few who ruin it for everyone else. They also figured out how to open one of the storage containers of dry food. We had to fix that. I pulled out a few Christmas things while we had their beds moved out. I can look at different decorations and remember the years of animal ornaments, angel emphasis, and my favorite wooden ornaments from Home Goods many years ago. We reopened to a small crowd last night but this morning everyone made it for the breakfast buffet. 

There is talk of Sunday evening becoming a rain, heavy rain turning into a snow event. Rain will be good cause we've been in a drought and snow, well snow would just be beautiful. 

We will have one of those stories that gets exaggerated in the re-telling. Roy has been on the phone with Spectrum the past week and a half due to our Wi-Fi and internet coverage either being totally out or spotty at best. Yesterday, between Roy and Spectrum, they found the router is bad. Router should be here today and we can live full time in the twenty first century. Roy was like MacGyver last night piecing this and that together to have a low output of gigs or whatever runs this whole thing. He was happy for TV. I needed to check the Chewy auto ship scheduled for next week. I happily read last night with the only background noise of thundering cat paws upstairs as the big chase was on.  Retelling this story will probably involve snow, candles, and whatever other hardship I can think of to enhance the hardship of slow internet speed. Nest up T-Mobile and the diminished bars.

No comments: