Monday, August 23, 2021

A Week Catch Up

 It was an ordinary day that held the high percentage of rainfall from tropical depression Fred. From the weather reports, the consensus indicated, lots of rain but for a TD, it would move quickly and not hang around. Thank God for that forecast because I don't know how our area would have survived. At last check on the rain gauge this morning, we received about 8 inches of rain yesterday afternoon and into the evening.

The afternoon held lunch plans with a friend I met in book club. On Monday when we confirmed our plans I said if either one of us feels iffy about the storm coming through, let's cancel and reschedule. At the time I thought, she must think I am a big baby about some rain, but I remembered she has a home in Florida, so she is probably acquainted with the hurricane type rain and forecasts. Tuesday morning she texted me that several intersections in her part of town were flooded, so we rescheduled lunch and I am so glad we did. 

All afternoon we had a steady rain but then the skies opened with such hard rain, nothing was visible when looking out the windows. I had stayed upstairs most of the afternoon. Then, I went downstairs and for a moment I thought I was in Transylvania County, land of the waterfalls in WNC, because waterfalls had been created by so much rain in our backyard. We had a river running through it. The design of our home is done with drainage going to the left and right of our house and that design was doing its job on overdrive yesterday afternoon. For this, I am so grateful. 

Roy was having an extremely busy day at the office and wasn't responding to texts, calls or emails. I felt if I could just talk with him, the anxiety of the storm would dissipate once hearing his voice. Finally, in the late afternoon, early evening I used our emergency plan to contact him. Spectrum had sent out a warning we were close to loosing our internet and such due to the storms. I wanted him to know that if he couldn't reach me, it was most probably due to this situation. Just talking with him, giving him an update and reporting what I was doing to keep my eyes on the situation helped me tremendously.  Buddy, of course was close by and she had been since the rain began pelting the house. The kiddos, some were in the garage, some were situated above the fray and a few others were underneath the front porch. After feeding them this morning, it seems that there has been too much togetherness and they are picking on one another. 

Seeing pictures and videos of Canton is breaking my heart. Stores have returned to the area, local farmers markets have started and a good vibe of local economy...all probably set back if not destroyed. The Pigeon River overflowed. Mobile homes were floating by, huge boulders around the edges of the lake further out were moved just as if they were a pebble. I cannot help but think how much worse it would have been around here if there weren't field and land being greater than concrete and buildings. 

***************

My first chance to get back to blogging. Had a lot to do getting ready for company on Thursday. The first part of the week began feeling a little draggy and tired so it takes longer for me to get things done. Today, I am not feeling dragged out but the morning is young and the chores not done, yet. 

Thursday afternoon my brother, niece and her friend came to visit for a long weekend. Doug loves The Leicester Studio Art Tour, I do too. We met at Blue Rooster and began days filled with eating and shopping. Tour guide is in my wheelhouse, food prep is not so I was happy to have family that takes the food in the raw and prepares it for evening snack/meals. All the fun wore me out and I realized how little time I spend with others since all the pandemic stuff began. 

Our fourth Sundays in the month are fellowship and prayer Sundays in The Joy Class. Brenda did our brown bag, get to know you thing and she hit it out of the park. So warm and compelling as she told how her family had shaped and molded her into who she is today. We all love Brenda! Tripp, a recent high school graduate, also came into our class and shared about his next adventure, college, at Fruitland Bible College. We love Tripp! 

The photos coming out of the Cruso area in Haywood County show the mass devastation that happened from TD Fred. Access is limited due to the number of bridges that washed out or were compromised. Homes destroyed, lives torn asunder. 

Laundry is calling out to me but I am trying to ignore the call. So is a grocery store trip and that call I am taking. Just the week catch up from one very grateful person. 


No comments: