Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Fred Rain Is Here

I have never been much of a Mary of Bethany type and have had no inclination to look deeper into her story. The Mary of Bethany types I have met, a dime a dozen as it seems, they were pretty much right out of the cookie cutter. I would add the exception of good friends who tend to Mary type but in our conversations and friendship they defied the cookie cutter talk. Most talk the same vernacular and can work up a holy look in a half a minute. Their voices go from regular to that soft sweet tone that at times have made me want to wretch. Maybe I feel this way about so many of them because for the most part, they do not care for me or a little bit of me goes a long way with them. Maybe it happened because there was too much amusement and delight on my part, not the Bible kind, of asking questions of them, letting them trip up and tie themselves into a corner and when the wiggle room has been used up, they can dismiss me or my kind with a flip of the hand and with a, oh only truly spiritual people would understand. Every once in a while, there were those Mary of Bethany types who were not cookie cutters or defied the mode of the way of the spiritual thinker types. That was my understanding until recently.

This summer before returning to Lifeway material, we’ve been studying women in the Bible. We got through a grand total of four. Looking in depth at Sarah, Hagar, Martha and Mary slowed down the pace that was originally planned. So many times, I say, let’s look at them in real perspective not in the Sunday School characters we have heard of all our lives. This summer studying these women has made an impact on my thinking and knowledge of them and if you asked me at the beginning of the study who would I have the most trouble with, yep it would be Mary.

So, these weeks leading up to the lesson, have not been filled with moments of, can’t wait to get back to Mary of Bethany. Even household chores took precedence and that is saying something mighty powerful to studying her. I was foundering and one night this week mentioned to Roy the dilemma presenting itself. He began to share his thoughts about Mary and he said one thing that opened up my heart to get a better look. Appropriate, the one thing because you know that is what Mary is known for, the one thing that will not be taken from her. She took on a different look being a catalyst in the three situations we have to see briefly into her life.

As I blogged about the little kitty who began as Helen and renamed Malynn, little mighty warrior, because the name change came from the circumstances of her life changing and throughout the six weeks she had been around, I never thought she was a beautiful cat until the day she went home with Morgan. That little kitty’s life so dramatically turned about. Seeing the pictures when I got home, that is where I saw just how beautiful this little kitten is. On Saturday morning, I began to see through my stereotypical thinking of Mary and seeing just how beautiful her life is and what we can learn from her. Anointing Jesus with the expensive  nard  perfume and the reaction it brought in Jesus and the act seemed to be the last straw for Judas. She gave an extravagant gift to a Savior who is the extravagant gift from God. Yesterday, we looked at all the worship happening there in John 12, highlighting Mary, Martha and Lazarus. I am so glad that God took the time to change my preconception of who Mary is and how He uses her example to help, change and transform. 

Our choir director is teaching a class on how to read music. I had to miss the first one but arrived yesterday with my tambourine shoes on, cause word in the church hallway, percussion and rhythm instruments are used in the instruction. The class was good and Debbie is so patient and even helped this pre-beginner. I've noticed math is involved but I will set aside my prejudice against math, for now. 

Biggio is back with The Feral Fam and he greeted me yesterday afternoon. He lets me pet him and while he is rubbing against my leg, I try to walk over to the food and bowls but he makes the path difficult. I didn't feed the Feral Fam until I got home from church last night. We had a members meeting at 7:00 about plans for future building and improvements. Yes and amen for new HVAC! Our Sunday School class will be cool enough for all of us hot mamas, I mean for us older ladies that run a tad to the warm side of temps. 

Got errands ran in between the threat of rain. Most of the Feral Fam are resting in the garage, hiding out from the evening rain. The two white and black kittens are playing more together. Watching the comings and goings, the fighting and the playing, the gentle meows and the gutteral growling can keep me occupied when there is other stuff to take care of. 

**********

Fred rain has entered the atmosphere. So far, not too bad. Meeting a friend for lunch at noon, so hopefully no flooding or rockslides or mudslides. Thinking of Fred, reminds me of I Love Lucy when Little Ricky, starts playing the drums...rather rhymical without a change in the beat. Everybody is moving to that monotonous tone. Ethyl says, Fred, Fred, Fred, Fred, Fred to the beat. Always makes me laugh.


No comments: