Thursday, November 18, 2021

Sweet Dreams

 Roy will be shocked when he sees my second go through of books that I have carried near and far, from apartments to townhouse to condo to house to NC. Some are from collecting days when I didn't have a clear direction of what to concentrate upon. I've read many of these books and have always said I would like to read them again but y'all the fact of the matter is this, time is running out to reread books. The time is for reading the books I haven't read and after complaining that I cannot find any these days that I care to engage with, I have found older books that will keep my attention. Some of the books that are going are the traditional southern tale of, character hates the small town they live in, leaves, has to come back for either family reasons or they couldn't make it in the big city, and now that they are home their long lost love is there too. Can a romance and happiness be far behind? Well, usually these books have a happy ending of either get back together to make up for all the lost years or the confirmation of separation is confirmed, the long lost love is a jerk. Conveniently though, there is a second chance with an unlikely one. So, those types of stories are like the song, they are hitting the road Jack! 

This morning Roy told me a Buddy story. Buddy stories are good for us and I was able to tell him of the discovery of a whisker. Cats lose whiskers, it a natural thing but since Buddy passed, as I have cleaned, I looked for a whisker. None! Not in any of her beds or pillows or blankets. I was loosing hope when last week, I found a whisker. Now when I tell you where I found it, the knowledge of me never using this particular bathroom is tantamount. I began to clean the hallway bathroom and after mopping and putting the rugs in the washing machine, as I moved toward the sinks, my eye caught the whisker. It was half in and half out of the drain. Rescued and put away with the happy knowledge I found what was so meaningful. That last night of Buddy's life, while she only left my side two times and we both stayed up all night, I trickled a stream of water for her, mainly just a drip. Although winter wasn't her favorite season, she did like it when I dripped a faucet or two for ice prevention. It was one of the last places she occupied by her presence. As I was telling Roy the story I hadn't told anyone but had treasured in my heart, I began crying. So totally caught me by surprise. I miss Buddy in the daytime but at night, not so much. It had been so long since I was able to mostly sleep through the night. I feel a bit more rested. Now that I think about it, this summer's distractions might have had lack of sleep contribute to the general malaise. Over the past few months a feeling of loss had taken my attention. Stir it all up and it led to all the distractions. 

*********

Speaking of distractions, other stuff got my attention yesterday. Nothing new on the ol' Monablog. I went out in the afternoon to cut back the brown eyed susans as well as the four o'clocks. Pulled out the rest of the sunflower stalks. I raked a bunch of fallen leaves into the flowerbed. 

Mary, Joseph and Jesus arrived yesterday from Amazon. Going to do a nativity on the front deck in the raised garden bed. Those cats better not mess with Jesus. Think I'll remind them that might be a reason that cats aren't mentioned in the Bible...domesticated ones that is. Along with that delivery came, finally, my Baylor Homecoming t-shirts. 

Think everything is almost ready for the airport pickup tomorrow. I am so excited and thrilled. I will have to plan out the pickup because they are no longer letting you sit there curbside. I don't know if the cell lot is open either. Surely it must be. 

I love reading the works of Eugene Peterson and a new little devo/thoughts book has been published. On Living Well is the title. His narrative finding joy in the mundane or in daily living resonates with me. As I wrote last week, being able to lie on my side, stomach and back for tests is a huge blessing. I mean, really, never thought about it. After reading a biography of his life, there is a greater appreciation for his words and work. 

This morning a long time friend messaged me about the poem I posted yesterday about fall and leaves. She said she remembered her grandmother taught her that poem. I told her my Grandma D told us the poem Little Orphan Annie before we went to sleep at night. You know goblins and being snatched away...then she would say sweet dreams. So today, at The Fresh Market, I used cash and overpaid the bill by $10.00. Again, not a thing if you are young but when you are old, well, you're just an old fuddy duddy that can't count. Yet, today I was able to recite Little Orphan Annie from memory. Oh, how the brain works or doesn't work or it could be just this, stupid math! 

Little Orphant Annie
by
James Whitcomb Riley
Little Orphan Annie’s come to my house to stay.
To wash the cups and saucers up and brush the crumbs away.
To shoo the chickens from the porch and dust the hearth and sweep,
and make the fire and bake the bread to earn her board and keep.
While all us other children, when the supper things is done,
we sit around the kitchen fire and has the mostest fun,
a listening to the witch tales that Annie tells about
and the goblins will get ya if ya don’t watch out!
Once there was a little boy who wouldn’t say his prayers,
and when he went to bed at night away up stairs,
his mammy heard him holler and his daddy heard him bawl,
and when they turned the covers down, he wasn’t there at all!
They searched him in the attic room and cubby hole and press
and even up the chimney flu and every wheres, I guess,
but all they ever found of him was just his pants and round-abouts
and the goblins will get ya if ya don’t watch out!!
Once there was a little girl who always laughed and grinned
and made fun of everyone, of all her blood and kin,
and once when there was company and old folks was there,
she mocked them and she shocked them and said, she didn’t care.
And just as she turned on her heels to go and run and hide,
there was two great big black things a standing by her side.
They snatched her through the ceiling fore she knew what shes about,
and the goblins will get ya if ya don’t watch out!!
When the night is dark and scary, and the moon is full
and creatures are a flying and the wind goes Whoooooooooo,
you better mind your parents and your teachers fond and dear,
and cherish them that loves ya, and dry the orphans tears
and help the poor and needy ones that cluster all about,
or the goblins will get ya if ya don’t watch out!!!

Sweet Dreams!

No comments: