Saturday, October 15, 2022

Autumn in The Mountains

 A coolish morning and The Boys are filled with energy. On the wood floors the sound of thundering hoofs, I mean paws, resounds throughout the house. It is when the thundering halts that gets our attention. They are slowly but surely being introduced to rooms in the house and so far so good. I am glad we waited to try this way instead of letting them roam free when they were so little and hard to find. With exception of the pitter patter of voluminous running, it is a quiet morning. Roy has gone to the men's prayer time at church, now that it is in the fellowship center rather than in the cold temps of the picnic shelter with the incredible view. 

According to LifeWay, we will be spending four weeks in Hosea. Truthfully, I don't think I have four weeks of Hosea in me. As I began outlining the lesson yesterday and after doing some research, we might only be in Hosea two weeks and maybe we will use the other two weeks to look at Nahum and Obadiah. We shall see. I need to promise the class not to say golly like Gomer Pyle but I might have so say citizen's arrest, citizen's arrest. 

On Monday Roy and I took off to see fall foliage off the BRP in Haywood County. Since lunch is the most important meal before looking at leaves, we stopped in at the Blue Rooster. Meatloaf for Roy and fried chicken legs for me. I was much too full to have coconut cake. The server told us that this year the fame of their coconut cake has spread and that good news is causing them to run out of cake sooner than later. She added though, they are buying apple cakes from Barber's Orchard to supplement the dessert menu, which is extensive. The apple cake from Barber's is delicious and reminds me so much of the apple cake my mom used to make. But cake discussion is a bunny trail, so back to fall foliage. The colors are brilliant this year. The reds are popping and the sun hitting the golden leaves is dazzling. The temps were cool and the tourists were few. All in all a great afternoon of leaf looking. Usually, we go to Devil's Courthouse and return on NC 215 into Canton, but we figured that might be where we would encounter crowds. Roy has yet to load his pics onto my computer and hopefully, he will get that done today. I know he got some great photos. 

***********

Feel like a new person, got my haircut yesterday. Came home to pick up Roy and we headed over to Publix with every other person in the tri county area. Okay, we don't live anyplace where it is called tri county but I like saying it. With Roy changing brands of oatmeal, we don't need to go to the Kroger as much as we used to. He has also discovered almond bars from Costco and he eats them more often than just plain almonds. It's always a work in progress. 

Doesn't look like the forecasted rain is going to happen today. We could use a little rain since it has been so dry and a gentle rain would extend the leaves staying on the trees. The other day I took The Boys out to the front porch. It has been a while since they've been out there. I sat at the table working on the lesson while they ran around and kept up with everything moving about because of the breeze. The neighbor's donkey was braying and the horses above us were in the pasture closest to our house. Their snorts and whinnies broke through all the way to the front porch. The sky and landscape both held those hints of fall in the air. Such a special time to enjoy the fragrances, sights and sounds of the country. 

*********

Warm Saturday, well eventually it will be. Going to get the warm weather stuff taken care of this weekend before the bottom drops out temp wise. We got all the zinnias in the front containers pulled out and put together another raised bed. Dead headed some roses and have several more to take care of. 

I read last night this is one of the more brilliant falls color wise in recent memory. The mountains along the freeway are ablaze with autumnal hues. What a delight and blessing to live here. I'm considering heading out to the Madison Market in a bit. It is one of my favorites. 



No comments: