Thursday, March 18, 2021

Rain to a Beautiful Sunny Day

 Several times during the night the hard pelting rain against the metal roof was both comforting as well as alarming. Note to self, get out rain gauge for next weather event. The comfort of the rhythmic music of rain and the realistic part of trees falling or flooding, and hopefully no thunderstorms. According to old wives tales, thunderstorm in winter means snow will fall sometime in the next ten days. Twice the noise of low flying planes awakened me and being a bit groggy, I needed to determine what I was hearing. 

I took some pictures of the flowers blooming in the front and back. The clover has taken over where Mike tilled so I could plant tulips and daffodils this past fall. I am taking note of where these flowers are and will add to the mix when it comes time again to plant. After these flowers have bloomed, mobile containers will take over the spot filled with flowers this summer. 

Spring is peaking through elsewhere. The redbud and maple trees are adding a bit of pink and red to the landscape. Trees are leafing out and of course the daffodils. I went to the post office and then to CVS to pick up prescriptions. Even though it was overcast yesterday, it just seemed like a good day to shop in Mars Hill rather than Weaverville. Then I could take the scenic way home. I love the orange chicken from Ingles deli and yesterday it was some of the best I had tasted. Lots of orange sauce. Before heading home, I stopped at Mars Hill University. It has been several years since being in their bookstore. One of my favorite sweatshirts is from there. I was going in to also look at their books. They have such a good range of history on this area and although I didn't buy any books I made note of ones I would like to read. I did find a tshirt but the best find of the day, maybe the week is, narrow ruled legal pads. Oh my, I love a narrow rule. Tinier than college ruled paper. The price, $1.49, what a discount! I made it home just before the rain began. 

It has been a year or so since everything began to shut down except for maybe a few fears and the significant need to hoard products, especially paper goods. I know last year at this time grocery shopping looked a lot different for me cause it contained a lot of what ifs. What if this happens? What if we can't get a product for a long time? I remember when the fear hit that meat would be hard to obtain and fortunately I found a few local sourced avenues of beef and chicken. And of course I stocked up on jalapeno stuffed olives because one never knows. We stopped meeting in person. Masks and latex gloves became all the rage and yes even rage, became popular. Didn't seem to have a rage shortage on any level. I knew that keeping myself occupied was key. So, gardening became interesting and the work in the front flowerbed became my job and exercise. I began chain ganging the slabs of rock Mike had brought and soon the backyard and other places had decorative flat rocks increasing eye appeal. Not to mention better walking and stepping through mud conditions. Other than a grocery store trip the only other place I went on a regular basis was Lowe's for rubberized mulch last spring. No shopping in small, local stores. No eating out. Very little take out, more cooking at home. Even after a year, I am still careful about where I go, wearing a mask, washing my hands and social distancing to the best of my ability. 

I am doing something today that I haven't done in over a year, writing out the Sunday School lesson for Sunday. I've studied off and on but not writing anything down. We are starting modified Sunday School this Sunday morning. The three women's classes will meet in the fellowship hall and we teachers will take turns teaching. 

We are now in the snub part of the relationship, me and HP. She will let me pet her but she doesn't come to me, but does come close by. Didn't come on the back porch this morning. Doesn't purr when I pet her but she let me look at her incision and it is healing quite nicely. Her attention is more on Junioretta and Baby. Kind of watching over them. I hope this doesn't turn out like Riley when Riley stopped coming near. Oh well, we shall see but I do know I have made her life better, she just doesn't know it. 

This is worst clover spread I remember. I was out there today trying to trim some of it back from around the roses and walkways. It is high and it is thick. Wore my muck boots because it has rained but also in case of seeing a snake. It doesn't even look like I made much of a dent in the tall clover. Think I will text Mike and see if he has started mowing lawns yet. 

Guess I should head back and finish up the lesson. Buddy is napping and I need to feed the Feral Fam. Then, I am going to take it easy. I can tell I will be sore tomorrow from weed eating. That trimmer is not that lightweight. 


No comments: