Thursday, March 4, 2021

Warm Again, A Working Heater Does A Body Good

 It was a restless sleep night, not because of Buddy but because of the heater. I'll be calling the repair service when they open. We have replaced both HVAC systems. I have never liked the one we have for upstairs because it has had way too many problems. When they came and did the winter maintenance check, they mentioned a problem to keep an eye on. Both Roy and I said fix it now, we don't want to wait till it goes out, but he assured us we would probably make it through winter. We should have insisted on getting it repaired around Thanksgiving time. Just talked with Roy about it and he is already in "work" mode and he listened to a podcast driving in this morning on constructing and deconstruction a story for speech or story telling purposes...uh, I've had coffee but my brain can't go there before 8:00 am, especially when I have been awake most of the night. I am having praline pecan coffee this morning because it was BOGO last week. It is Community Coffee and we don't usually get flavors here, unless you count the with chicory brew. He is telling me probably since pecan in out of season is the reason Publix got a deal. I knew better but I said, pecan coffee is trans-seasonal, it is not just for fall and with the praline added to the flavor maybe it's because of Mardi Grau. So, I know about speech construction and coffee but no empathy cause of the heater and no sleep. Too much expectation before 8:00 am of conversation when one of us is in work mode. 

Speaking of story telling, if you want to read an insightful, wise, and interesting book, look no further than Just As I Am by Cecily Tyson. I made myself read it slowly because it is one of those books you want to keep reading and not put down until finished. Now, when I see her in movies or productions I will truly appreciate the amount of work and immersion in preparing for those roles. I did not realize that she played a huge role in civil rights through her art and her craft. There is so much in the book but I have not processed everything since I just finished reading this yesterday afternoon but while fresh on my mind I wanted to add this to the post. Go get this book! 

Now I am in book purgatory because I need to find a book that will hook me in from the start. I started a fiction book last night but it seems so empty after reading Just As I Am. It's not like I don't have books to choose from but that is the dilemma upon finishing a worthy read. 

HP chose to come on the back porch for a third time in a day during late afternoon and early evening. She settled in to get warm and grab some shuteye before having an active nocturnal adventure. I think she is done with her "time" so she's not bothered by the male cats but she goes off and beyond Mary Joyce's house most evenings in the past few weeks. I got to thinking about those cats and I don't think any of the females have had a litter since the summer. That is kind of unusual but oh so welcomed. I do think Mama Cat had a litter but she doesn't always let the kitties grow up. Punky didn't have any since her huge litter of seven, which only three survived. This mishmash of cousins keeps me amused and on my toes. Bobbsey let me pet him yesterday and he almost came onto the back porch twice. 

We have heat once again upstairs. Our unit coded, twice and I never realized the outside unit was not running. Oh my. I have saved money though by not letting it run during the day which on really cold days called for layers and space heaters. I let Buddy out of the front bedroom and she must have been burning up and she loves heat. The sun is bright and with the added heat of the sun with the heater running full blast, yep that would do it. I was able to get everything done at the grocery store this morning. My neighbor was emptying material for her compost pile. They are heading to Florida to get some warmth. Good weekend to do so because the lows will be in the low twenties at night. 

***************

This morning is beautiful. Buddy is sleeping in the front bedroom and she's a bit miffed with me and the Feral Fam has spread out to play, not even coming in for breakfast. Buddy, is not happy with having the Feral Fam around, up close and personal. This is the first year I have let them all sleep in the garage and HP has been an often visitor to the back porch. Yesterday afternoon, feeling the need for a nap, I laid down upstairs in the bonus room, the room farthest from the downstairs. A familiar fragrance wafted in the air. I had cleaned the litter box earlier, but this was such a strong fragrance force. To show her displeasure Buddy threw up right by my chair, where she and I usually sit in the mornings. I got that mess cleaned up yet there was still that stink going on. Upon inspection Buddy had left the biggest pile of 💩 by the front door. Both of these places are spots where she shows her displeasure. Now, this pile of 💩 gave me a mixed reaction because pooping is a huge issue for her and this pile signaled her food is working yet she is really upset. Cleaned up everything and sprayed Lysol everywhere. 

It was so wonderful last night to have the heater properly working. It was even more wonderful this morning when getting up. 

Today holds another trip to Goodwill, this time mostly kitchen stuff and then a quick stop at Publix because they have a great deal on strawberries. Of course, I have waited till later to do these things which means the Instacart people will be shopping and dodging them both in the aisles and in the checkout line can be exercise or an occasion to try and not sin by letting my thoughts about the Instacart shoppers drag me down. Better read another chapter or two in my Bible before leaving. 


No comments: