Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Fam Update; Buddy, The Feral Fam and Us

 I am keeping an eye on the Texas coastline. Nicholas is moving quickly and is forecasted to be mainly a rainfall event but on the coast and in Houston, that is a severe threat and possibly triggering PTSD for some. We are so thankful that we sold the house in May, not because we ever had a problem with flooding but just the maintenance to keep up from rain and wind takes a lot of energy. Of course when checking in last night my question was, do you have enough food and drinks? No one prepares and anticipates like I usually do. Did I mention I'll be eating a lot of soup this fall and winter before the expiration dates in 2022? 

Last night after a day with Buddy constantly at my side and in my brief absence from her, meowing up a storm, but not the storm in Texas, the decision was easy to make, shutting the bedroom door from the get go. It helps so much with getting enough sleep and that has been an issue with the erratic behaviors of Buddy, who is now sound asleep on the couch. 

The Feral Fam are a bit rambunctious this morning. Before breakfast many of them were playing on the driveway and in the side flowerbed. A piece of mulch can be highly entertaining, or so it seems. Junioretta seems a bit lethargic but she has tended that way since she was a kitten. No Mama Cat or Punky this morning which makes for a stress free breakfast. 

It seemed so strange not to get up for church yesterday morning. I was able to participate in my class from First Baptist in Houston. Dena was subbing and she taught a great lesson, as per usual. Even though it felt weird, it does seem to be good restricting indoor exposure. Last night I saw that several more Houston friends have tested positive for Covid and thankfully, most of them were vaxed. 

*******

Since Corner Kitchen stopped serving breakfast due to the Covid I have adjusted my haircutting schedule accordingly. Don't faint, but doesn't do early mornings outlook has changed. Had an early haircut appointment, 8:45. Like it that way with few people in the salon although we have to be masked up for our appointments. Afterwards I headed over to the T-Mobile store. I've needed to the the sim card changed over from Sprint. Good thing I brought it with me because they are short and didn't have any in the store. This is the kind of thing I don't really know much about and was so happy they did the simple to them install. I debated on going over to the Biltmore but decided to run a few errands instead. Once I got home, I fixed lunch and have tried to nap all afternoon. Buddy is not cooperating to let me sleep but as soon as I moved, she took my napping spot. 

One of my errands was Target. I meant to do curbside pickup but I forgot to get the order in. Bravely, into the store for the needed items and because it is Target, several items that were not on the original list. Thankfully, I didn't saunter. With it being nearly noon once I arrived, it was insightful to see the shelves and where the lack was and what was over supplied. Target staff were busy stocking the Halloween candy aisles. Feels like all that stuff has come out for purchase a little later than usual. I looked for Tootsie Pops, caramel flavor, but they didn't have any. 

****************

I took my life into my hands yesterday, I gave Buddy a bath. We haven't done this since she was a little bitty scared kitten. I did make it out of the experience unscratched, which in my book is a miracle. Although, the shirt I was wearing didn't fare as well. I think it has helped her in the long run, but I had some doubts last night. She has a couple of hot spots and yesterday afternoon the decision was made to take action. After some fitful moments, she was the most relaxed and quiet last evening than she has been in a long time. In fact, she spent most of the evening sitting next to me. Her preferred choice of late has been downstairs. She only yowled once. That is a good nights sleep around here. Buddy gets a rabies shot today, as well as a mani pedi and a flea treatment for good measure. I feel so bad for Buddy cause her arthritis is causing her pain. She can't have the steroid shot anymore. She was not comforted by my story of having to give up Advil during my heart recovery. My heart was getting better but the knees....I'm going biblical on you, it was difficult to strengthen my weak hands and knees but you need your heart pumping to live and bad knee pain is just an inconvenience in comparison. 

Junior has been back in the mornings and his swag is back. No more letting Toupee and Tappy eat before him, he is hissing and swatting them away from the food. They say orange cats seem to be the friendliest cats, but he is the polar opposite of his father Strawyer. Even when Junior tries to do the squint eye thing, it looks mean, not trusting. It will soon be a year since Strawyer has been gone. He has a piece of my heart. Toupee is getting closer to me yet unsure. Biggio, he greets me at the backdoor when he is around and he is this morning. It is so heartwarming to see Biggio teach Toupee that befriending me is not a bad thing, nor anything to be afraid of. He is doing this just like HP did to get him to trust me. Her legacy lives on. 

The only damage Roy sustained from Hurricane Nicolas is a surge and short on his microwave. He needs a microwave to keep his rigorous diet requirements going. So, he is letting his landlord know about the microwave since it is installed above the stove, but he went out last night and bought a small microwave to keep things going. He said in the back of his mind he got the small one so he can have that in his mancave, bonus room, here. He might never have to go downstairs if he gets too comfortable in this room.  



No comments: