Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Staying Strong, Staying Safe

 Morning came and I was up to watch the fog roll into our little valley. Buddy slept downstairs all night thus a full night's sleep happened. The fog didn't stay around too long as the sun broke through. Once the backyard had some light Baby and Boodos waited on the back steps hoping for treats. Once they heard the door open and the gritty sound of a sliding screen, those little cats came out of every nook and cranny. It is a wonderous sight to behold as black and white cats swarm the steps with a drop of ginger and ginger and white in the midst. 

Sunday morning upon entering the Sunday School classroom, a box of cat food greeted me. My friend Jan had left it because her cat rejected the brand. The Feral Fam is usually not too picky and I use this particular brand as an in-between meal snack for those days when, those who shall remain nameless...cough Mama Cat...cough and Punky...stick around and eat everything and chase off any interested family members to what is in their particular bowl. I sat beside Tracy and turned to her while holding the box and said...snack? We both cracked up. Thank you Jan, I have already used some of the food for snack time, feral snack time, yesterday. 

August seemed to be hotter than I can remember in recent memory. Gardening took a big back seat, maybe even a rumble seat to the heat. The cool didn't come soon enough in the evenings to do any kind of work. I was totally surprised to see a morning glory vine had taken over a hanging basket and the vines from that basket were interwoven tightly in the hydrangea bush. On Saturday we pulled a bunch of that vine off the holly bush and part of the hydrangea but we stopped once we were at our limit energy-wise. I went out yesterday and just about completed the task. Those vines, while beautiful, are so invasive, take over quickly and kill the plant that is hosting its life on the vine. The vines wrap themselves tightly around branches and limbs. Maybe morning glory vines compete with kudzu for domination of the garden. Of course I see so many spiritual and non-spiritual connections, but this morning you'll be spared to read those thoughts. 

But, this summer has felt like a morning glory vine takeover in me. It has been awhile since I have felt so out of it and distracted. Nothing much could hold my attention, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I don't think it has to do with the delta variant resurgence, but maybe so. Those couple of months with no mask, no social distancing and the like, only to go back to protocols, difficult. When we were studying Hagar this summer, I remember making a remark about Hagar returning to Sarah. She knew what she was returning to and that journey back had to be difficult and I likened it to Covid if we had to return to our experiences of the last year. This summer held a feeling of loss for me, some of it known and some of it unknown. For whatever reason, the past few months have been problematic. Roy made the comment that I seemed to be a little off...that he couldn't discern in phone conversations.  Guess its time to start ripping away at the vine. 

I spent some time on Ancestry during the afternoon. Mainly looking at my moms side of the family. Names that were familiar to me but as a kid didn't know the connections to family. Found my grandfather's military registration card for WWI. He stated his occupation was being a carpenter. On census records he lists several occupations over the years, brick mason, machine operator, and farmer. He died when he was 65, from a heart condition. I have a couple of pictures of him, we were on the front porch and I was bringing leaves to him. My minds eye though, when I picture him, well I picture Dwight Eisenhower cause they looked an awful lot a like. 

Roy just let me know that a VP at his company passed away over the weekend after fighting Covid for several months. Roy sounded a bit unnerved by the news but I think it was somewhat of a shock to many. He said they think the new variant MU has been in Houston since May but not many talk about it after being overwhelmed by the delta variant. I've read the new variant is vaccine resistant but who knows. I don't want to live in fear yet at the same time I want to be smart about crowds and stores. I talked with our pastor this morning and our class is going to take a four week furlough to see where we are in this thing. Many have already made the safe decision to stay home and two more told me that they were going to do the same thing. I get concerned with a compromised immune system, so we made the fluid decision. So happy that our pastor is truly a shepherd and cares for us. 

So today, I tried to get all the shopping done for the next week but still have one more stop to make. Probably tomorrow or maybe Thursday. Got projects to keep me busy and some good books to read. I am also going to keep up with the Sunday School lessons. 

No comments: