Monday, September 6, 2021

On and Off...Out and About...Being Careful

 Roy and I curated all over the place yesterday. Got a lot of weeds pulled as well as getting up the scraggily flowers. Got some sunflowers trimmed back and back under control. The birds have certainly enjoyed the seeds and so happy to share the seeds with them. Bugs, not so much. Only had one totally rotten sunflower that had been eaten up on the inside. We trimmed back the four o'clocks that have totally gotten out of control.  One azalea didn't make it and neither did the rhododendrons. Not too bad out of all the new plants that we planted in the spring. Reems Creek has trees in and we are contemplating cherry trees. 

I bit the bullet yesterday and joined ancestry.com. Where did the afternoon go? I also got a free trial for newspapers.com. Interesting all the announcements of engagements, weddings, promotions, and the like that were published in the newspaper of days gone by. I looked up a cousin from my mom's side that I only met once, long ago. I kind of found her, I think I am not going to do anything with that information. A mystery of sorts also gave new facts to the story and the handed down story came with a few flaws that the mystery information cleared up. 

***************

Labor Day is beginning a little overcast and dreary but I like those kinds of days. Buddy has been treated, she has returned to the couch. The Feral Fam has been treated and fed. When Punky shows up in the morning there is a whole lot of hissing going on but I think they finally all settled in. Toupee shows some interest in getting a little closer to me but its always about the food, but that's ok. She wasn't around last night when I fed them, so she was a bit on the hungry side this morning. 

Roy taught the lesson in our class yesterday morning. He did a good job. Then we had to leave to go to the airport. Just drop offs and immediate pick ups now curbside. No more waiting right there because the number of people flying has picked up. I thought about making a short grocery stop on the way home but decided to head on back. A wave of sleepiness hit and I was down for the count most of the afternoon. 

We made a Walmart run and I totally regret that we did. It has been over a year since being in a store and I'm not too hep on the pickup thing there. Tons of people in the store and only two main checkouts open and the self checkout had a line as long as the regular lanes. I still think it is not just a hiring situation in stores like this, but it is a manner or semblance of control. We only had five or six people ahead of us when we got in line but oh my goodness, the line was very, very long behind us. Our trip was a good one though, getting stocked up on a good price of Roy's oatmeal and some NC t-shirts for him. Roy is much more patient in lines then me but we both took turns wandering nearby the line. But wait, there's more... Although I did not give into anger at Walmart and tried to keep myself well behaved and entertained, there were more lessons to be learned. God has a great sense of humor to remind me, what I think is so bad could be tons worse. After loading up the truck, we went over to Lowe's. The flimsy border fence around the tulip/ year long use flowerbed was a little worse for the wear. So, we went to checkout the border fence offerings. Roy had already made it to the aisle and I continued to saunter, looking at plants and such. To the left, there was a man looking through the reproduction, plastic whiskey barrels. He moved them a bit too hard and boom, several came crashing down. I stopped to see what happened and so happy for that stop because a rat disturbed by the commotion in the barrels, ran out, in front of me about four feet away. I froze mid step and watched in horror the rat running into the aisle in front of it to hide away. Shaken but not stirred, I moved toward the aisle Roy was on, quite upset and wanting to move on. He thought I was saying a wasp had been in front of me, had a mask on, and continued discussing the merits of the particular border fence we were looking at. Once we decided on the border, we moved inside the building to pick up a few more supplies. I did not want to go near the birdseed aisle in case we would run into a few of the rats relatives. We did find more flytraps that I like, so there was that. When we got to the truck and the barrel people loading their car with the newly purchased rat home, I mean barrel, I said to Roy hope they checked for rats before buying. He was puzzled by the comment and I said you know cause of the rat that ran in front of me when the barrels fell. Roy says oh, I thought you were saying a wasp was in front of you and really, you are pretty calm about flying insects. Rat, that's a whole nother thing. Yes, yes, it is. Thankful not to wet my pants or have to make a trip to Mission cause of falling or a heart attack.

On Thursday we worked outside most of the morning and then later in the afternoon once it cooled off again. We pulled weeds like there was no tomorrow and we also pulled out the straggly plants. We worked on getting hoses readjusted and Roy did the water filter thingy. It was Waynesville Wednesday for us as we ate at Blue Rooster, shopped Christopher Farms, Barbers Orchard, Hazelwood Soap, and Mast General. Roy found out he likes muscadine grapes, especially with the low sugar content. We Googled it up to see if they freeze well and good news, they do. We picked up a few peaches and more honey crisp apples. Roy used some of the apples off our trees to add to his oatmeal. They sure don't look pretty but taste good. 

Burnsville was our Saturday jaunt with hopes of making a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but alas we just did the Burnsville and Christy's Crafts trip. Roy found several photos he wants for his remaining time, less than a year, in the office. A deer in morning light and an elk is the subject matter of the second photo. No need for a frame, they are ready to go. Found a quilt for the twin bed bedroom. Now I'll have a hunt for something similar in color to this quilt for the other bed. Christy's shop was chock full of fun things, and so it is always fun to shop there and visit with Christy. We stopped at TJs in Mars Hill before heading home. Fun day with street tacos for lunch. Then we worked more outdoors and called it a day. 

We were so careful while going out. Late or very early meals if eating out. Social Distancing and wearing masks. In fact several things we planned to go do or see got nixed due to this Delta variant of the Covid. Roy has to be extremely careful due to the Covid protocols they are practicing at the office now. 


No comments: