Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Beautiful Winter Days

 I must confess that when I woke up yesterday morning and didn't see snow, the lack thereof was somewhat disappointing. Then during the morning and into the afternoon, we got a few snow showers that stuck, then melted. Last night, the snow began to fall and upon awakening this morning, the delightful scene of snow was a gracious and fun greeting. The snow continued to fall and at times rather blustery winds accompanied them. We must have gotten around 4 1/2 inches, maybe 5 with this mornings flurries. The French Broad River Valley was blessed with one of those streams of snow making weather while passing through the higher elevations. Watched a video from someone driving down Alexander Road toward New Leicester Highway and the closer he got to Leicester, the less snow was falling or even covering the ground. Even after living here nearly six years, the snow fall and forecasting mesmerize me. In Houston winter weather comes from the north and in the summer from the south. Sometimes from the west but rarely from the east. We gets it all here, from all directions. Guess the old wives tale of thunderstorm in winter certainly proved true this time. We had a rather mild. snowless winter last year, but this year seems colder and snowier. 

Yesterday afternoon after applying gesso on some boards, vacuuming the upstairs and folding laundry, I sat down to continue reading The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. It is an interesting and thoughtful read. I am almost done and I have enjoyed the main characters except Eudora is a little too proper. Takes place in London so proper is a proper word. Of course loving to read southern fiction and nonfiction, when I read Eudora, I think Welty not Honeysett. Eudora Welty is not one of my favorite authors but she certainly is one of the more interesting authors of her time. Just like Elizabeth Eliot and Jan Karon, I have tried and tried to read  their works, and their style and my reading style don't mesh together. 

Hopefully, another Facebook ad for the win. It is so difficult to find size 12 boots. Sometimes Merrill and Keen have them, but mostly no. Academy Sports and Outdoors in Johnson City no longer carries size 12 tennis shoes for women, so at times, there is difficulty in finding boots and shoes. This morning a new ad for Kuru came up on the timeline. Began looking at their site and they carry size 12 in just about everything they have and not only that but their advertising says their shoes help with plantar fasciitis and bone spurs. Last spring, the bone spur on my right heel started up, again after years of not experiencing that kind of pain. Because I said if someone made good boots in my size, I would order from them, I did so this morning. Looking forward to them arriving to see if these boots and then order shoes will help. Some part of me thinks my hip replacement and not working on my stride and steps is causing some of the pain. Part of the pain is from a pair of cute boots I wore last February and those boots are no longer in the house or even the garage. 

******************

With very little sun and temps not getting above freezing, the snow stuck around all night. Yesterday afternoon as the wind picked up and howled from the north, the snow on the side of the driveway, whirled its way across the driveway into the flowerbed on the other side. Actually had a few small drifts of snow. The wind gusted from time to time in the night. It is a lonely and eerie sound. This morning there was a full house of the regulars for breakfast. All three, Boo, Boodos and Bootrey were in the garage. That is unusual. Last night all three of the male dominant cats ate dinner together, which is rare and they didn't fight or command territory. Easy food overcomes the macho strutting of cats.  Mama Cat and Punky came for supper last night as well and they are the ones who will stir up trouble. Once everyone saw there were enough bowls of food for everyone, the cats ate together like it was a family reunion. 

Where the Boys Are, was on in the background last night. I've seen it so many times, so I didn't pay it too much mind. The movie is based on a book. I Googled this up last night. The author heard an interview of girls at the beach on spring break and asked why they didn't go home for the week with mom and dad. One girl said, this is where the boys are and as they say, the rest is history. Book written, movie made. 

I'm seeing a lot of local shops closed for the day due to ice. Yesterday, several closed due to water pressure issues. Lots of reports of ice still on side roads with not all roads being salted or sanded. The mountains I can see from our windows have snow on them. Not an unusual sight but these are the ones you rarely see snow on for any period of time. 

The snow from our roof is beginning to melt and the sound of snow falling onto the deck and driveway is loud. One of the orange cats is sitting on a table on the deck and I sure hope he is fast enough to outrun the falling accumulated roof snow. 

This morning the sunrise was brilliant and exceptional. There seemed to be a shaft of pink light coming down from the heavens. Someone said, sunrise all for you, Nancy. My response, I have to remember to take the time and go to the front room to see the scene unfold. There are many mornings I'm just getting downstairs to make coffee. These winter days can be like that. Not taking in the full beauty of snow and blue skies or gray skies. The reflection of sun on snow, can almost be blinding at times but the trees proclaim with those leafless branches, the glory of God. Life is flowing where we can't see it, but in about six weeks we will. 





No comments: