Thursday, February 25, 2021

Once Upon A Time...A Feraly Tail

 This has been one rollercoaster of a ride since Monday afternoon, well emotionally that is. Monday began a little rainy, then a little clearing, and a little more rain, then clearing. Along with the rain and no rain the temps were a bit warmer than they have been in recent weeks. Thus, beginning a crescendo toward today with temps in the high sixties. I have broken out a between season outfit of denim shirt, retro by the way, jeans, t-shirt and my dressy muck boots. Good outfit to wear in the truck when I take Buddy to the vet later this morning. But, of course as per usual, I have digressed.

Monday morning I called the vet office because Buddy needs her yearly exam, guess it would be a well cat exam, some shots and the all important nail trim. While talking with the vet office, I mentioned HP and needing to get her fixed. Because she is friendly around humans and because they might not be fighting that feral part too much, they said yes to the one and done appointment of fixing and vaccinating. This will be happening in March. There was a spring to my step and happiness on beginning this part of the Feral Fam story. Gone from Cali, who wanted somewhat to come in then rebuffed by Mama Cat, to Riley Cali's daughter who stayed in the garage and would pet me but barely let me pet her to now, Hector Protector that loving cat who will sit on my lap, rub against my legs, follows me around the yard, who lets me pick her up and gets to come in the house from time to time. HP, is at that season in life her first experience with the attentions of male cats, especially by her friend and almost twin, Bobbsey. She had spent around four hours on Monday morning sleeping on the back porch. It was kind of funny to see the male cats sitting in the background and trying to figure out the fragrance that drew them but not finding the source. HP was under the soft blanket on the daybed. After having a few treats after her nap, she wanted back out to the wildness. Later, Monday afternoon HP was on the driveway and she came over to sit on my lap. She had a huge piece of wire, jagged wire wrapped around her tail. I carried her to a higher spot and grabbed scissors along the way. I got a huge piece cut out and HP tried to bolt. I was able to grab her by the tail as well as a piece of the wire and cut my little finger. She let me pick her up again, after I grabbed a paper towel and began to work again getting the wire. This time she made a move again and I let her go. She first went up into the horse pasture and then made her way to and then past Mary Joyce's house. She has gone over there before but she just kept going. The thought crossed my mind, HP is leaving for good. She's been harassed all day by male cats and now the human is cutting fur. She did not come back Monday night, nor was she there to greet me Tuesday morning. Bobbsey looks so much like her and I would see him and think, she's back. But seeing that mole on his face or the fact the black patch was missing off the right back leg, led me to disappointment. I realized Baby and Biggio were missing too. My heart was heavy, so much so I decided on this beautiful day I would get out and around. So, I went to Johnson City. Mainly for the drive, not to shop. The scenery is still winter but a few bits of green dotted the landscape. I stopped at Barnes and Noble and here is the shocker, I didn't buy anything. I went to Hobby Lobby across the way and got some copper color spray paint. Then the drive over to Troyers and there is where I spent money. Got the peanut butter Roy loves and some of the cookies I love along with other needful items. I drove the scenic drive over to I 26. Discovered the road that takes you to this beautiful bridge and I will be taking Roy over that way to get some pictures. Love love love, bridge pictures, especially old, metal bridges.  I came on home, no HP but some sad acting cats, Radley, Bobbsey and the orange cats. Biggio and Baby are life and energy sparks in the backyard. No random chasing or fighting or wrestling, but the movement of cats from one corner to another with their ears tuned in for maybe a few treats.  I did not relish getting the food served to this spindly, sad group. The joy was gone from all of us. It is kind of fun feeding a bunch of furry ferals. HP and Biggio close by and Biggio only close because he knows HP gets special treats. Baby and Jazz meowing their impatience. Bobbsey trying to decide if he is brave enough to join in and Radley is usually up high someplace watching his brood. None of that last night. 

This morning I checked the cameras, no kitties. I came downstairs to make coffee and looked once again out back, no a kitten was stirring. Once the coffee was made and Buddy treated, I decided to go look in the garage to see if anyone of them were there. I opened the door and who was there sitting on the car? HP...!!! I was thrilled and startled her a bit with a hug and petting her. I noticed the jagged wire that had been left in her tail was now gone. She was ready to eat and followed me over to where she usually gets treated first. I looked around and the kitties were moving about, there was Baby but no Biggio. Several hours later, Biggio was back. Baby and Biggio zonked out in the garage, so wherever they have been, sleep must not have been involved. 

***************

HP spent most of yesterday on the back porch. I was tempted to leave her there while Buddy and I went to the vet. Buddy was cranky as per usual for her checkup but the vet said, she got examined somewhat, shots and back paws trimmed. She is taking that as victory. Me too! Here lately Buddy has let me trim her front nails, so it was really a win. While sitting in the truck waiting for Buddy, two horses were brought in and put in the padlocks for their vet visit. It was really kind of a nice feeling dogs, horses and cats at the vet. 

When we arrived home HP was waiting in the backyard and went straight to the back porch when I opened the door for her. She slept most of the afternoon. With the temps being warm, I sat on the back porch with her and read. 

So, the new normal for HP right now is, she's not as consistent in being around. It looked as if someone cut the wire out of her tail, so I think maybe someone else is helping take care of her. I don't know though. Everyone showed up this morning for treats except HP. It is too early to bring her in the house before her appointment. I want her not to feel cramped up or trapped and that is what it would be because of Buddy. She is a little wary of me after Monday afternoon. She has to do that she is a cat but warmed up some toward the afternoon and sat beside me. I'm praying and asking God for wisdom. I love that HP and He knows that. That little one changed the whole plans for yesterday and I stayed home once returning from the vet. It was a convertible day and I didn't get out. Happily satisfied staying home for HP and for Buddy. A high note this morning, late arriving Bobbsey let me pet him.  

This morning I sit here in hope, hope that HP will be back again. I served treats a couple of times this morning and on that last trip into the house, the fragrance of spring was in the air. Just a hint mind you, but enough to grab my attention. Yesterday, one of the dutch irises in the back had sprouted blooms.  Daffodil and tulip stems are peeking through the ground. So signs of hope and that's what I will have to do for now. Have hope. Ask for wisdom. And since it is a warmish morning watch those kitties play and chase, with that every present lookout for HP. 

No comments: