Monday, February 22, 2021

Book Review and Weather

 This morning seemed to be an eggs and bacon kind of breakfast day. Scrambled eggs with cheese, delicious. I am waiting for the day to warm up. It was 21 degrees when I woke up and slowly but surely we are reaching out toward the freeze line. In the middle of the week we get a warm up so that will be a welcomed reprieve. The kitties are out back running wildly to and fro. I couldn't figure out what could cause such a ruckus. One of the bird feeders resembles a church building and the sun coming through that nearly empty feeder is reflecting or refracting that light. The wind blows and the reflection moves with the wind. The cats are chasing something but they'll end up with nothing. Surely there is a spiritual example with that illustration but I believe we can see this without me writing about it. Chasing the wind, that's what these kitties are doing this morning. It will keep them warm as they play. 

Roy attended LBS by Zoom this morning. He told me of no pun intended but chilling stories of generators and fireplaces and gasoline, oh my...experienced by his class this past week. That is generators that didn't work, gas logs in fireplaces being out of control and finding no gasoline to run those type powered. In comparison his week of cold weather was rather uneventful. From FB posts, during all the trouble and chaos, friends kept a sense of humor. He is waiting to see if they can officially go back into the office on Monday, the concerns being low water pressure. He is still under the boil water advisory but is hopeful that will be rescinded tomorrow as well. Roy bravely made a Costco run yesterday and was surprised that it wasn't that busy but Whole Foods had been picked clean.  

I turned and rearranged our feather bed topper yesterday. It was difficult turning over because the indentations had created a valley thus hills difficult to top in the midst of sleep. Fluffed and rotated, tossing and turning was much easier. This feather bed topper is much better than the ones we had in the 90s. They bunched up and even with vigorous fluffing and arranging never evened out. I thought about a phone conversation I had with a friend from Sunday School, how we get into our easy and predictable ways. We both talked of finally feeling pandemic fatigue and re-motivating ourselves to do worthy and productive work as well as productive leisure. There are days, like last Saturday, I didn't do one thing other than read and eat. Now a string of those kinds of days in a row is not a good thing, but in a devo thought this morning it was on attentive living. Guess it is the spiritual word speak for mindfulness, which is a buzz word in publishing circles right now. I kind of like the term attentive living, cause it is a better word picture to me of how one does that. With Covid and cold temps one, if not a first responder, is obligated or even forced to slow down. That doesn't bother me like it would have years ago. Quiet, I love that too yet, conversations this past week has been what has energized me. Yep, God made us, fearfully and wonderfully made. 

I read about Midway BBQ being destroyed by a fire this past week. When we first moved to Katy, this was one of the great places we discovered to eat. Friendly and served delicious BBQ. I had to break the news to Roy and he was rather sad but now after reading a statement by the family who owns Midway, they are going to rebuild, I'll share that news to him and he will be mighty glad. 

The fiction book I began on Thursday night is winding down. I've liked it but think I am getting too old to keep up with so many characters in a similar setting which is a New England girl's school in 2015. The story is based around a sexual assault on campus back in the 90s. So each character in some way is reacting or reliving their own personal experience as the school tries to keep emotions ebbed as a lawsuit has been filed by that long ago student against the school. I have finally come to the part where the mysteries in the book are solved and I realized I was skimming the pages to finish up. Put the book down and will read the last chapter tomorrow.

***************

It doesn't look like we got any winter precip last night but we do have rain. There is hope we will be done with rain this afternoon and the sun comes out. 

Back to my book, still haven't picked it up to read the last chapter. The story and plot has been good but for me there were too many people to keep up with. Some of the characters don't get a revisit but it looks as if the wrap up concerns the first few people you meet in the book. There are a few intimate scenes that feel added on. The author does a good job in delving past the obvious and a few character traits are defined and what seems to be real isn't that at all. What a perfect setting, a boarding school, freshman through senior girls, the masks removed. In hindsight no one is really that sure of themselves in high school. Girls can be especially mean during those years and that is covered here as well. The author also takes time to look into alumna lives that reveal high school was the height of power and prestige for some, they never live up to the potential. I usually pass on books to friends and will do so with this book but I didn't know a whole lot about this debut novel but saw it recommended. Really, I think Gail Godwin has the girls boarding school genre perfected. Several of her novels are based on that setting. Usually around the Asheville area, so that's always entertaining.  

On last thing for this blog post; several weeks ago I accidentally bought decaf Irish Creme Brule' coffee. Mixed it in with regular coffee this morning, added Baileys Irish Coffee creamer to the mix and it is very delicious. 




No comments: