Thursday, February 4, 2021

Snow Melts, Kind Of, In Time For Maybe More Snow

 We are certainly enjoying the warmth of the sun coming through the windows on this very cold day. At least we will get above freezing, so that snow is melting. Buddy is enjoying her regular sleeping locations that are bathed in the sunlight. She is not quite sure where to land on overcast days. She spent most of the day yesterday under the covers of the bed. I turned the electric blanket on the lowest setting and she was a quite delighted cat, roasty toasty and warm. 

This morning I set out to see if something worked and it did not. Into the trash bag, but while I had been working with this thing, in a kind of desk/secretary type deal, I began cleaning it out. Not on the plans for today but just sorta happened. So much junk has been thrown away, things to donate to Goodwill and a few things for a young friend who loves paper products about as much as me. It became a fun time because all kinds of cards from friends were packed away in corners and I stopped and looked at many of them. This cabinet also held things I had forgotten about, like the letter from my father's lawyer asking me to contact my father and ask forgiveness...uh, from what? He is the one who lied and fabricated this whole mess. She reminded me that she wasn't sure that I was on the up and up when she served the papers to me that contained my father severing the relationship, legally. I still don't know what that means other than, my father was one of the best liars ever! So believable, so convincing and yet so wrong. It is ironic that soon after she had done his dirty work, he fired her because he thought she was overcharging him and might have transferred some of his stock. I remember Roy was furious at her emails and wanted to try and have her law license revoked because she was "acting" as a therapist in these emails. Of course, Roy goes 0-60 in a half a second, over reaching somewhat, but I loved that he wanted to protect and take care of me. I skimmed the journal I wrote in reference to that difficult time and truly it helped that my word for the year was perseverance. Of course that is all behind now and trying to come to grips with more of that time of life, well that retrospection ended in January and really ended on a good note while remembering fifty years of Jesus being my Lord and Savior. 

Before undertaking this job this morning, my new boots I wrote about were delivered. Most of the snow had melted off the front deck so it wasn't slippery or dangerous. Got the boots and then went down to the road to pick up the recycle bin from Monday's pick up. Looks like none of us on our little road was too quick to get the bins while it was snowy and icy. Earlier this morning, I watched my neighbor make her way down to their gate to close it so that the horses can roam about the whole property. Must have been some ice close to the gate because she walked gingerly to and from it. 

************************

 I stayed up past my bedtime and finished The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. I really liked this book and it is not the type I usually buy so it was good to read out of my comfort zone. All along you knew how the ending had to go but she took some twists and turns to get there. Many have compared the book to A Man Called Ove. I never could get into that one and gave the book away. 

Last week I did an old person thing. I really try to keep that kind of stuff at a minimum or at least just here at home. Checking out at the grocery store, thinking about the next errand, I removed my debit card before I was supposed to. The young woman gave me a look like, are you okay? Are you able to drive by yourself? When I was in the rehab hospital for knee replacements, I once said I was confused about something. The look on the nurse and her assistant, said...oh...we have someone who doesn't have all her wits about her. There are certain words and actions that tip people you might not be all there. With ADD I go from thing to thing, trying to pay attention but there are days of slip ups. 

The kiddos left me another present this morning. I saw them playing with "it" yesterday and determined it was either a mole or a field mouse. At that time, it looked like a field mouse but this morning, it is undetermined mass and matter. 

I got out on the roads after several days of being home and the forecast looked rather clear but now people are talking about sleet in Weaverville and near a couple of other places I went to. Glad I am home. There is talk of a slight chance of snow tonight and again on Saturday afternoon. Did the grocery store thing, church drop off thing, book drop off thing and The Fresh Market thing. Now if I'm lazy, I can just fix tuna sandwiches. I love their tuna salad. 


No comments: