Friday, June 25, 2021

June 23rd

 June 23, 1971. I was sixteen years old and at church camp. It was held at Camp Palcious Texas. If memory serves, two churches from the San Antonio area were there as well. I had become a Christian in January 1971 after spending most of my childhood and early teens, loving Jesus, not so much loving His people and playing the game, but I do not believe I had been saved as a six year old. Throughout the years I would tell my father I didn't think I was saved and he would tell me to go read the book of John. When you are ADD and start that first chapter I was confused before getting to the last verse in the chapter, thus giving up until the next attempt. Also interesting was the fact my father was not saved. He had various salvation experiences throughout the years and we hope one of those experiences was valid. Back to the story on the coast of Texas. I don't remember a lot about that time at camp. I know that it was the summer between my junior and senior year, I was happy to be spending time with friends, and the excitement and emotions of January had waned. On June 23, 1971 a friend shared with me how I could live a spirit filled life and know Jesus not only as my Savior but also as Lord. Making that decision that night clearly made a huge difference in my life. Just that afternoon, I had sat on the sea wall, looking out at the gulf. I sat there praying, confessing, talking and listening to God. He answered those prayers on that night. Another friend was making a decision as well and for years we contacted each other on June 23rd until we didn't, until Facebook helped us to pick that practice up. After we returned home from camp, I volunteered to give my testimony on the Sunday night camp reflection service at Willow Meadows. My parents took notice of the change in me and they attributed it to camp, but camp is just the place where I met God in a powerful way.

Fast forward to June 23, 2021. Fifty years have passed since that day long ago in the summer of my sixteenth year. While getting ready for our Joy Class, Breakfast on the Porch party, I thought back to that back when day. Who knew that fifty years later, I would be living in WNC, teaching a Sunday School class and be the Sunday School Director of our church. Well, God knew, but my life now wasn't even on the radar in that extraordinary and marvelous day. In these fifty years, I have slipped away and returned, sinned and repented, cried and laughed. This is the assurance though, God loves me, even when slipping, He held my hand. He pulled me out of the pit and put my feet on the rock. 

We had such a good time at Lois' for Breakfast on the Porch. Delicious food and cherished friends. We missed those who could not attend but a good time was had by all. I brought creamy grits. I usually don't bring something I have prepared. The grits are made overnight in the crock pot and they need stirring at least two times during the night. I missed the 3:30 am stirring. Up at 6:00, I was a little worried the grits were not going to be as creamy as they need to be. With a few extra stirs, and when adding the cheese, they firmed right up. Yay! Delicious quiches, fruit, lemon blueberry french toast, muffins...have I said it was all good? We were also able to treat Judy W to a, not a goodbye, maybe a farewell, see you soon send off as they move closer to family. Dang, we are all going to really, really miss them.  Buddy had a rough night, Tuesday, so I took a little nap yesterday afternoon. 

Our weather isn't like June weather these past few days. Oh the heat is returning but yesterday and today have been fabulous with low humidity and highs in the 70s. This morning I spent it outside dead heading roses...lots and lots of roses. Pulled a few weeds too. Mike the Mower Man came back today to finish up the weed eating in the back. He told me that if I would leave leaf trimming and such from the front yard flowerbed in a garbage can or container, he would dispose of the debris and I wouldn't have to try and get it back up to the driveway to put in the trash or take to the landfill. That will be extremely helpful for me. 

*******************

It was a breakfast and lunch on the back porch kind of day yesterday. HP joined me twice while I worked on the lesson for the following Sunday. Not only a back porch kind of day but also got a lot of tree trimmings put into the landscape paper trash bags. The only roses that remain to be dead headed are over near the neighbor. The first gladiola are blooming now. Told Roy I think the freezes got to his apple trees because while there are some apples, the trees are not loaded with them like usual. I also discovered that in the front flowerbed one of the raised containers is full of dahlias and snap dragon from last year. Funny, those are annuals and they survived the three freezes. The hydrangeas are struggling this year as well. 

During one of the Buddy cannot settle times during the night, an example came to me for the lesson in a couple of weeks. It so made an impression that those dreams in the night kind of got wrapped up in it all. I do know this one of the first decisions I made in this situation set the tone for the showdown that was to come. 

Every once in awhile I look at the website for FBC Houston. I think I know about seven people or less on staff at the loop. So many young faces. Seen it before, the pressure is on for those who might be a little older to look younger. Nothing ages one faster than trying to capture that strived for look. Lately, there are a few acquaintances on FB that are posting tons of pictures of themselves when they were in their prime. These are people who I meet in real life but became FB "friends." That's about all the relationship we have. 

 


No comments: