Friday, June 4, 2021

National Hugs, Cats, Donuts and Cheese Day

 I just saw an ad on Facebook for catching mice in a bucket. You can fill a bucket in one night they said. My question, what do you do with a bucket full of mice? Live mice I might add. I'd rather keep feral cats around and only have to see something dead every once in a while. The majority of giftings from them is voles. Sometimes a bird. I've made it harder for them to trap a bird at the feeders. If they catch field mice from the horse pasture above us, I think they eat them. Voles must not taste good and can only be used for soccer.

The conclusion I have reached about being a good speller? A good speller is mainly someone who memorized better than most. I am just about at the same conclusion for grammar freaks. Yes, I like good grammar like most, but some people have no lives other than to act like an old lady and constantly correct  mistakes.  

A friend is asking some good questions on Facebook. Recently he asked about anything a teacher said  that made a difference or encouraged you. Nothing rings a bell for me in elementary or junior high school, difference or encouragement wise. High school, I'd have to go all the way to my senior year. We used to run for our classes. If you were not a fast runner or a time mapper, you got stuck with horrible teachers, thus making high school more challenging than it needed to be. Going back to eighth grade, when we had to come up with our four year plan, I knew to get all the hard stuff for me out of the way before my senior year. Not that I was taking hard classes especially in math, but it was more getting the requirements out of the way. All that brings us back to the original thought in this paragraph. My senior year I took more of a hands on English class, it was an experiment and the first of its kind at our school. We had more projects and writing assignments than lessons on grammatical usage. I had that class first period and it set the tone for the day, a good tone. My love of writing, which had been squelched for years, came to the surface once again because our papers were not written to some specification of a requirement but more so to find our style. This encouraged me more than anything previously in school. I was made an A on most of my writing assignments. Unheard of. For our final exam, the first semester, we had a timed paper with a choice of three topics to write on. I chose, "if I had__________ I could change the world. Fill in that blank with love. All day I was asked by others, did you write a paper on love? Why yes, how did you know? Cause Mrs. Long read your paper to us before our final and said, this is how you develop a thought and write an interesting paper. Mrs. Long told me later how moved she was by my writing and that day, is the day, that set a tone and encouraged me. When I went to college, it was back to writing for requirements and for the judgement of the professor. But that one year, that senior year of English, I continued with Mrs. Long for the spring semester, writing was freeing and enjoyable. We all have a style and some have styles more for professional endeavors and some for books and essays. Even after college, I took creative writing classes and for the most part, my style never jelled with the instructor, so I stopped taking classes and tended to better choices of reading. I learned more from authors than I did from any other avenue. 

With Beth and I thinking back of those by gone days, our remembering caused me to ponder different times in life. I got to thinking about a friend from long ago who made the habit of hitching their star to someone who had already, kind of, sort of, found their way on a successful path. This person would hope that others hard work would pay dividends in their own life. For the most part, they were disappointed and I don't know if that star diminished or if they ever found that success they were looking toward. 

I just read an essay by Wilma Dykeman about when honeysuckle hits the fragrance grade and the very air is filled with that sweet and pleasing aroma. Today, I went over to the post office in Weaverville and to TSC, with the top down on Mustang Sam. Down every road, along the river and even in town the perfume of rural landscapes dominated all the sensory elixir. It was almost too much but not really. We have honeysuckle growing on an old fence by the side of the house. Tomorrow when I water the plants out front, I will welcome this summertime perfume with open arms or should that be open nostrils? 

Just heard from Roy, with good news. He has given me a little bit of a scare with maybe health issues. He went to the Dr just to get it checked out that it was nothing serious. From Dr Riley, who is just a wonderful Dr by the way, she believes it is a muscular issue but having him go see a cardiologist just to be on the safe side. When Roy sends a calendar appointment to me, out of the blue, to go to the Dr, I pay attention. He hasn't been ill very much or many times, with just a little bit of a concern last summer...which is under control. He called me this morning, for no reason he said, just to hear my voice. Ah, that's nice I thought then anxiety went into overdrive. Why did he do this? Does he suspect something? I mean he does that kind of thing every once in a while, but he has had so much to do with the house and the upcoming closing, very busy at work...well, anyway, this afternoon's call was welcomed. It was good to hear his voice. 

The flowerbeds are calling and I must go. I also discovered today is National Cheese Day and Hug Your Cat Day, as well as National Donut Day. I did have a donut at breakfast to celebrate and most probably supper tonight will include some cheese. I hugged Buddy and HP to celebrate National Hug You Cat Day, but know better than to hug any other cat that comes to meals or rests in the garage. I made headway with Junior today. He has taken Radleys place at the placement of a bowl just for him. He usually stays away until he sees the bowl has been safely placed and with me busied with bowl filling for the others. Not today, he sat there as I placed the bowl. He wolfed down his food because he hasn't been around the past few days and probably starving. Junior even let me fill his bowl some more while he ate...that is almost as good as a hug. 

No comments: