Monday, June 28, 2021

Hector Protector Update and Story

 Hector Protector is taking a nap on the back porch. Buddy is asleep in the twin bedroom. I want to be asleep in the bonus room, but I have too much to do and to take care of. HP is napping from her visit to the vet and Buddy, well she is just napping like usual, but she was on an all point alert last night following me everywhere because of Hector Protector. The past few days have been an all in kind of deal with HP. Saturday, she was doing great. Having fun and helping me garden. Saturday evening she helped me deliver food up to the reluctant kittens. The last I saw her was HP grooming herself on one of the big rocks. Sunday morning, she did not show for breakfast, which is not unusual, but she wasn't around when I checked before going to church. She wasn't around when I came home. Around 4:30ish, I went to the gravel road and called for Hector. Nothing. I went back into the garage to move some gardening equipment when I heard the most horrible moan, in cat language. Out to the back once again and HP was lying at the top of the steps and she looked like she had died. I went up the stairs, she was conscious but didn't want to move, so I picked her up and took her to the garage. I noticed her right paw was balled up and she was having trouble with the right front and back leg. I took her to the back porch, retrieved the carrier and called Roy. Then I called Med Vet and I was on the way. At Brevard Road, HP fell over in a heap. Not moving, not responding, and she had stopped panting. When I pulled into the lot I expected her to be dead, but she wasn't. She looked at me and she looked scared. Truly a scardy cat. The tech came out and got her, the nurse called for particulars and symptoms, then the Dr called. I felt she was halfway accusing me of fakery just to get HP moved up on the eight hour waiting list. Med Vet is so good and I will cut her some slack because they were overwhelmed with patients. When I asked if it could be a snake bite, she cut me off and responded like, who is the professional here? I am just trying to help my cat. HP had a temp of 104 and they got that down. When they called for me to come pick up HP I missed the call because I was getting a litter box ready for her. I returned the call and went to pick up Hector. I think the vet office called Med Vet to get anything else more than what they had given me. I liked how today, the vet said, no you were not overreacting. We have seen everything you said was happening. 

When we got home, HP didn't seem any better. Still having trouble with fine motor movements. Right side still an issue. I gave her some food, but I don't think she ate any. I was also able to coax Junior, Junioretta and Boodos to join her in the garage. It wasn't too hot because I had fans running. This morning I found the three sitting with HP. I was happy to see HP alive and moving slowly. Got her back onto the back porch and returned to feed the fam. I got more sleep than I thought I would. Buddy didn't wake me up when she came to bed and she stayed right by my side all night long. The Lord has been answering prayers all along. When I called the Vet, they just happened to have an appointment at 9:00 am. It is a shame that a feral cat is better behaved at the doctor office than Buddy but it is the truth. 

The tech came for HP. The nurse came and took information. I showed her the pics from this morning. They came back, x-rays and bloodwork, yes? Yes, please. The good news came in little splurts of encouragement. X-rays were good, blood count, good, organs good. Most probably some neurological issues but hoping for a pinched nerve. She still favors and seems to have no strength in her right legs and balls up the right paw from time to time. With Roy here later this week, maybe we can get Buddy and HP to tolerate one another. The good news is, no hissing yesterday through the screen.  No hissing today either. 

Yesterday afternoon in the garage before finding HP, Baby came in and sat with me, in that position with all legs tucked under their bodies. Baby has never, ever done anything like that. He sat about five feet away and looked at me. I have seen this so many times...this is what these cats do when one of them is hurting or sick. I think Baby knew that HP was not doing well. She sat with me like I was one of them or I did think, does Baby know something health-wise about me that I don't know? They all know that HP gets her food first and the smart ones like Biggio and now Boodos, come around me while I prepare her bowl, cause she shares her food. So I think Baby knows HP is special to me or at least that is what I like to think she thought. That action of Baby is what made me go up to the gravel road and try to find her again. I am always talking about being observant in the ordinary things and I am so glad I noticed what Baby was doing. 





No comments: