Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Bunny Trails and Such

 Our skies this morning have the hue of paint in the newest color cards in the genre of gray. It is not a platinum or steel gray, nor is it pewter, maybe alabaster gray. The colors of the leaves against the gray have a subdued look with their vibrancy more matte in color than vibrant. I think it is beautiful and with background colors like these, the day calls for a good book and a beverage of choice...coffee...hot tea or something cold like ice tea or Diet Coke. Too bad I finished up the Eugene Peterson biography yesterday. That was an enjoyable read while learning what made him unique in the Christian world of scholarship and pastoring...as well as authoring so many wonderful books. I believe why so many of us do not become scholars or authors has to be keeping up with the paperwork of life. Letters filed for reference in case someone wanted to write a book. Responses stapled to letters to be able to read in context his ideas, thoughts and how he chose to live life. This afternoon I will probably return to the book to reread several paragraphs that spoke so directly to this season of life and how to curate, using that culturally relevant word, my thoughts most probably in journal form. I could return to a book that I am about halfway through and because it has touched a nerve, it is a good daytime read. It has to be mindless and entertaining to read before going to bed cause then I can't shut off my brain to fall asleep. 

Just received an email from a paper and pen company that carries such wonderful goodies and the color of the year in their leather goods for writing is ultimate gray. What will be next in this palate? Our bonus room is gray but since it was painted six years ago, I don't know if this gray is in style or does it merely reflect that we are boomers? Not of the Oklahoma boomers but age wise. I have seen on Twitter several promoted tweets that advise on what to get rid of in your home décor that reveals your age. Heck, just look at me, décor or not, everything about me reveals age. I can now understand when talking to my grandma or my mom about updating things, they had no real zeal for the idea of that. Back then, didn't understand. Today, I stand in solidarity. 

Talked with Dena last night for our weekly sometimes every other weekly catch up phone call. I don't know that I have too much to add to conversations since shutting down somewhat what had opened up after Covid mandate reprieves but now the variant runs amuck and life returns to early morning appointments and grocery store visits with the smallest amount of people. Oh, and some outdoor produce stands. During this rainy duration I will need to make a grocery run as not to resort to unhealthy eating. Last year, I bought so much soup that seems to expire in 2022, so lots of soup lunches with salad and some crackers but we cannot live by soup alone. I pulled out the last of the taco soup I made last year and it was delicious as ever. The next cool down will include the making of that fall and winter treat. Roy could eat it year-round but taco soup in summer? Well, it just feels hot and oppressive. 

This morning the toy of choice in the garage with the Feral Fam is a bottle cap from a Diet Sunkist Orange drink. Buddy loved chasing Diet Coke caps and when we had to have our dryer replaced in the condo, the wall behind it was lined with bottle caps, galore that she had chased into the land of no return. Galore is not a favorite word but I am feeling amused with it this morning. Punky was a late arriver to breakfast of bedlam and so things didn't heat up because she still had sleepies in her eyes. Mama Cat was in fine hissing form as per usual. 

Read an observation from the press conference at LSU with Coach O. The desperation has set in because Coach blamed the quarterback. Well, he just guaranteed a losing season for the team and maybe they will right the ship coach-wise before it is too late. It's kind of like how my father had on repeat in almost any conversation he had with us, why can't you all be more like the _________ children? The gold standard to him. Finally after years of hearing this, I asked him, well, why can't you be more like their parents? Maybe then you'd get the results you want. That went well...but really, Coach O always thinking, why can't these guys be like the 2019 team and that includes the coaches, is this, he is the constant in both years and most probably didn't have anything really to do with him other than great recruiting. 

There is such a feeling of relief upon getting the trash bin down to the road for pickup. I don't know why it has amplified in my mind. Before it was getting everything gathered and down to the road before going to choir. Now choir is earlier and I am not attending to keep my health intact. Presently, the chore comes sometime after napping and before the road traffic picks up. Several weeks ago while standing behind the bin, after placing it in the proper place, a truck purposely drove so close to the bin, I braced myself for impact. No other cars or trucks coming on the other side, seeing the sneer on his face, I knew it had been done on purpose.  The encounter shook me a bit and if I was apprehensive before this occurrence, I am a little bit more wary now. 

Over the weekend I read an article on the Roseanne, now The Conners Show. Mixed review in how the show progressed. After about season four or five there are just select episodes I want to watch but I love the first couple of seasons. Roy and I talked about the article cause he never liked the show but being a  type of person that doesn't fit in a mainstream depiction of popularity, I found the show refreshing but only for a short while. Roseanne developed the show from her stand up comedy but as she became more popular, the show began to lose its basicness and became a lot of inside jokes that don't stand the test of time for newer viewers. Interesting trivia. Just like the Andy Griffith show, names were re-used for different characters. Guess now it would be names are reimagined but I digress. The first name Marvin is used often. Waitress in coffee shop talks about her dead husband Marvin. Shelly Winters had a recurring role and Marvin was the name of her deceased boyfriend or husband. Andy Griffith reuses the name Ramona Wiley. Guess that is the gift the pandemic has given to me in television viewing, the reoccurring phrases, words and names in series for a hundred Alex. Also in the earlier series on Roseanne, the phrase, "what's the word I'm looking for?" is used often. Must have been a favorite phrase of one of the earlier writers on the series. Where there is a bunny trail of time you'll never get back but I do find the writing process on certain shows very interesting. 

No comments: