Wednesday, October 6, 2021

National Kale Day and Egg Nog in October? I Think Not.

 Facebook went down yesterday and for once I didn't even notice. Not because I am opposed to social media or anything like that, because I'm not. The time that it was down was the time around here for taking care of a few projects and unexpectedly being able to run a few errands. The day did not hold a constant rain whether it be light or steady. Around 1:00pm the sun broke through. Great! Off to the grocery store to get several prepared meals and guess what, lots and lots of people had the same idea. Ingles wasn't as crowded but Publix had lots of customers. That trip had to be done rather quickly cause I had a few perishable items from Ingles in the trunk. Score, they had street taco kits. I love their chicken better than their beef, so happily I bought chicken street tacos and a few other things, then called it a day. Happy to retreat to the comforts of home. With the break in the weather, I pulled out a few played out flowering plants continuing the fall clean out of flowerbeds to prepare for spring. Our temps for the next week and a half with be a tad warmer than normal for this time of year, so pulling out plants will be an uphill job and it really will be cause the flowerbed is on an incline. 

One of the chores of choice these days is going through all our books, okay, mostly my books. On a good note some books that I thought would never leave our dwelling are on their way to new homes or to be used as recycling material. They are books of sentimental value and books that I most probably would never read. A little stack of books are by a bookcase and there is hope that the little stack will grow into a number to go into boxes. One book might be getting a reprieve, The Road Trip That Changed the World. Thumbing through it this morning and looking into the message of the book, I realize that I made a quick judgement of it the other day. Road trips might be on my mind because in a conversation the other day, we talked about that subject or maybe it was just briefly mentioned. Really, if I never have to drive I 10 through Louisiana again, I would be content with that. In our tourist years many times to avoid lots of time on I 10, the longer time choice of going up 55 and crossing over at Jackson seemed to be better, stress-wise. Now, thinking in Covid terms and this is coming from a person who doesn't like to fly, taking to the air seems more appealing. Two hours in a plane verses traversing through all the stops to fill up the tank or fill up the stomach, flying is a better choice health-wise because a road trip is going to cause much more exposure to germs. Road trips fool us as the better choice in these germ and virus related times but they are probably more dangerous. Safety wise, they are more dangerous. There was a time driving between Houston and here didn't phase me but now, people seem meaner and because of that, I do not relish the thought of ever driving that stretch by myself, unless there is an emergency. ***Update****  The book is going into the pile again. Thumbed through it and although there are interesting observations, there are other books calling out to me to read. Enjoyed the thumb through though. 

The last time I took leftover scrambled eggs out to the Feral Fam, they were not interested. This morning, they were. No surprise, they are cats and this like/dislike is in their DNA. Punky and Mama Cat had a stare down and growl fest while the others scarfed down the eggs. Since they got a really early breakfast and not everyone was there, I did additional breakfast for those absent ones, including Toupee. She let me briefly pet her head again, so progress is being made. I never thought she was particularly pretty but y'all have made me see her differently. She and Tupac are quiet meowers. 

In the Eugene Peterson biography toward the end of the book as he narrows down his living, while still participating in discussions, rarely accepting speaking engagements or writing, he practices fence sitting. Fence sitting are my words. Love this quote, "I am willing to live in uncertainty without "taking a stand' (but also at the same time "standing with" fellow Christians who I quite freely admit I don't understand). A friend from high school church days sent me a pic from her address book and there on the page, the beginnings of my love of printing and dislike of cursive writing, I drew part of the Four Spiritual Laws in a space beside the address info. Lynnie, yours is above my info and you too did a shout out to the Four Spiritual Laws too. At first I was so upset at myself. Really, I had all the answers at the age of 17 and would write without a doubt that the little tract held it all. Technically, it did cause you know, it's talking about Jesus. Then I thought, surely, I was being funny...kind of making fun of it cause in latter years, even latter months, I was making fun of it, CCC. When I think about those Leadership Training Institutes I went to and being on a speak team in college for them, deep on the inside, the marketing of Jesus and their marketing approach to spreading the Word did not sit right with me. But I was young in the faith, nothing had appealed to me like the little books of Bible studies I did that they printed and so it seems, I was waiting till something more I identified with in this realm came along. In the first year Roy and I were married, I tried out for BSF. Back then it was in such demand and they took quotas of the denominations. They told me they already had too many Baptists and being true to my upbringing and influence by my father, for a slight moment I was ready to lie about my denomination to be accepted in the Bible study. Of course, that is so wrong and ironic to lie to attend Bible study. Also back then, BSF had rules upon rules upon rules. I wouldn't have lasted but those kinds of things, like knowing I didn't have the "look" the leaders of the Bible study wanted hurt deeply and I conveniently filed all that away in my compartmentalized box in my heart...

********************

Rain once again. Earlier in the morning it rained a little harder than it has but we have gone back to the mist state waiting for the next round to move through. Once again a dream woke me up early this morning. My mom, Strawyer and Buddy were in it and it wasn't a nightmare but a pleasant dream. I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and watched a little TV. The last episode in a series was finishing up and I had seen most of the earlier episodes. A documentary on finding WWII criminals. Then some news and weather. 

Yesterday, I finished up reading Lake of the Ozarks, a memoir of a summers long ago for the author and the effect they had on his quality of life. It is one of those books that you can put down and then pick back up and this book had been in the put down state for a while. It had been relegated to the stack of books to stop Buddy in her search for an opening to get behind the corner unit. 

Today is National Kale Day. I chose not to celebrate. 

On the afternoon trip Monday to the grocery store, the stockers were hard at work replenishing the shelves. Joining them in the work, supervisors or managers because there was so much product to get out. While getting milk, one of the managers said to another, he has overbought sour cream for the holidays and it will be out of date before the sour cream rush. I did not know until Monday there was a sour cream rush at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but it makes sense. She also said, egg nog had arrived. I agreed with her when she said to no one in particular, who wants to drink egg nog in October? I agreed with her, it is truly a Christmas and end of the year kind of drink. 

 

No comments: