Sunday, October 10, 2021

Baseball, College Football and Chores

 Not the news one is looking for, hospitalizations are increasing in the over 65 population that received their shots over six months ago in our area. Dang! 

Got a very rare treat Thursday, although it is the post season, but the Astros game was televised. Fun watching it in between chores and other shows. Kind of fun cause the minor league affiliate in Asheville is part of the Astros farm system. Hopefully, we can go to the ballpark and see a game next season. 

Saturday morning tempted me and I left the friendly confines of home to venture out where I could social distance. I wanted to go to the Candy Corn Market in Haywood County but I decided not to even though I told myself to stay on the outside in the covered arena. I know me, I'd go in cause several of my favorites are usually inside the building. So, off to Burnsville for their farmers market and to make a quick walk through of Lamp Post Vintage Market. A rare event occurred. Nothing was purchased. The trip mainly was to get out of the house, check out the scene of fall foliage and then return home, maybe with a tomato or something. I did stop in Mars Hill and got some Diet Cokes that are on sale at Ingles. I did not take the usual route home after my driving while old thing happened two weeks ago, but opted for the freeway. Not as scenic but hey, you do what cha got to do. The rest of the afternoon and evening into night became a marathon of sorts, watching college football. What a day to watch multiple teams come from behind and win. Happy to see Baylor win, ut lose, Iowa coming back to win, the Ole Miss and Razorback game and then the featured attraction, Alabama-Texas A&M. I did flip over to the Seinfeld marathon cause several of my favorite episodes were featured and I did flip a couple of time to see LSU-Kentucky. Nothing to see here folks. Currently, I think the most relieved person over the big win at Kyle Field has to be Coach O. The news of Alabama losing and taking over the newsfeeds had to be manna from heaven in the distraction arena of football life. LSU fans, cue Janet Jackson's What Have You Done For Me Lately as they discuss the future of LSU football and Coach O. Most cite his dumping and divorcing his wife for a twenty something year old girlfriend. Maybe he and Urban can start a support group. It surely seems as if Coach is a bit distracted this year. 

Texas A&M deserves a new paragraph. What a game! What a win! I stayed up and watched the whole game. Rooting for A&M is not my usual thing but last night wrapped up in our maroon and white throw, colors only available in the oversized throw department, and felt somewhat Aggie-esk. This is not a habit I hope develops but it was a great game with the best outcome. I am thrilled for my Aggie friends! Dena and I texted a bit throughout the game and she is one happy Aggie. She also assured me that several new parking garages have opened on the campus. She took Roy and I on a car tour of A&M a long time ago and my only concern on the tour was the lack of parking. So this has become a running joke for us. 

It is kind of fun reading Twitter this morning when it comes to this game. The earliest tweets are about how the refs blew so many calls, really on both sides. A few Tide fans and this is so difficult to believe are calling for Saban to retire. What? Come on, this isn't like some Tiger situation...haha. Now, feelings have calmed and the Tide fans are rolling with, just another game, y'all enjoy, and when we win, we just win. It's kind of funny. These are the things we can say and in more than just football. Taking away meaning to anyone or an experience...

Since Roy became a Toastmaster, he is interested in all things story telling. Jonesborough TN has the International Story Telling Center. We have half-heartedly looked for it but I came across an article that gives details and other places to check out in the city. While I am thrilled to have found info for him, I also saw there is a Tex Mex restaurant there and it looks legit. No chili gravy as such, but the pictures do Tex Mex justice. Guess we will be going for the storytelling and staying for the enchiladas. An aside, loving Los Tios nachos, the pics look similar to that old favorite. 

This Sunday morning, I am staying in jammies a little longer than usual. Later night and with the Feral Fam taken care of, I am at leisure. Just heard my neighbors ATV which means they are making a trip to make more compost with horse...materials. They gave me a load of....compost in the spring and that is some primo compost. The other thing from the sound of the ATV, I know which member of the family is making the run. It was  quick time, so it must have been Steve. 

Outside chores are calling out but I'm letting that call go to voicemail. 


No comments: