Saturday, October 30, 2021

A Smattering of Mattering

 The fog is slowly fading because the sun is beginning to break through and win the battle. I don't believe we will have blue Carolina skies today with a forecast of some rain and overcast conditions. If the rain moves out this morning, I can finish dead heading roses. 

I look forward to Tuesdays on Facebook because favorite Appalachian writer Shayrn McCrumb is writing a series of "conversations" and stories told to her by the raccoons she feeds. She gives backstories and adds dimensions as she tells the stories of those who come to her porch to eat and that includes possums and a bear. This last Tuesday she told a tale that brought tears. Basically as the story is wrapping up and the scary experience has dissipated, she writes;

"We were not stupid creatures to be slaughtered for food and pelts--someone knew us as individuals. A human loved us. We mattered."

My thoughts went to The Feral Fam and how they have entertained, taught and evoked some tears these past few years. We've gone from an insulated tent to a warm corner in the garage complete with meals and snacks, also served in the garage. Not too long ago when they had to spend their nights out in the "wild" life could be rather short for them. Now, the smart ones who sleep inside have a bit more safety. Oh some of these kiddos would tell you they go hungry, but I am here to tell you, Buddy did her job for them. Buddy could work you for a treat like no other cat and these kiddos can work me for treats and more food when I am outside. The crowd around my feet when food is being prepared is growing larger with the addition of Tupac and Blazey. The remainder sit and meow at a distance. Toupee wants her head rubbed and Biggio, well when he is around there is a lot of joy when he runs to meet me at the backdoor. From the friendliest to the crankiest, these kitties matter. A human loves them. This human in particular loves them. They play hard, nap hard and eat a hardy hearty meal or two. Junior was late for breakfast but he made it, as well as Baby. Biggio, well after several days of resting around here he must be back on the hunt so to speak. Or maybe he was just later for breakfast. I'll know in a little bit. 

It is also a good feeling to know we matter and are loved by others, humans. I confess in life I have been remiss in letting others know they matter and I know that I have caused some non-mattering to happen when I get miffed or bothered. Sometimes it is good to sit down and remember all those whether for short or extended times, made me feel like we mattered. That there was worth and mirth and of course some dearth. Giving hope where there had been none. For these people and times, I am so thankful. 

While I am following the Astros in post season and now in the World Series, I'm having a difficult time staying up for the night games. I think if I was in Houston, central time zone, I would be a bit more involved with everything. I want them to win. Living in the heart of Atlanta Braves country is interesting and we've had some good natured bantering. As an Astros fan and thinking back to the days of when they were in the National League, with the Killer B's, Bagwell, Biggio and Berkman...I find it ironic that Bags and Biggio, who took the game seriously and then clamped down even more in the 2005 World Series with seriousness, their approach to the game and clubhouse are so different than these Astros of late, who while serious have fun in it all. Being more of a person who leans to the fun side, we are approached so many times to settle down, get serious...behave. I think most fun people who kind of reside in the middle of serious and fun, know how to approach things seriously but it is harder to get those who lean heavily to the serious side to lighten up, fun up and take little fun breaks to make them more productive or whatever they want...productive, goal oriented...that kind of thing. It takes the serious much longer to have fun without feeling guilty. If they would lean toward that, all those serious goals probably would happen much faster. Back when Roy spoke a few times at conferences, I would tell him to start out with something humorous, but he told me that everyone was there to learn something, not to have fun. Okay, well maybe 1% would claim that but the rest...you're at a conference in a fun city...like Chicago that should tell you something. If everyone is serious about learning, you'd go to a non fun city to keep everyone focused. I could name what I consider to be non fun cities but have friends living in the two main cities I am thinking about.  

This is the second day in a row of drinking hot tea. Not something I always do but enjoy it on those coolish type days. My goal is not to turn on the big heater until November. Have some little heaters running in rooms being occupied but that's it so far. Flannel, boots and jeans do nicely. 

Just a random thought. What will people do when white chipy furniture goes out of style? Guess what everyone does either keep it or stain it or get rid of it. I like the look but don't want everything to have the look. 

Just went out and checked on the kiddos. All is well and now even better with a little more food. I also went to the box and picked up a package. 

It is looking better for clearing and maybe the gentle rain is over for now. 




No comments: