Monday, October 4, 2021

Keeping Busy Not Dizzy

 Had one of those middle of the night, 2:30 am, wake up moments. I was having a scary dream and was happy to get out of it but the thought of going right back into it if I fell asleep quickly kind of kept me awake. Got up and decided to read more of the Eugene Peterson biography. It is so good and now I think I'll pull out my Message Bible upon finishing the book. I think I will have a greater appreciation of the work that went into it. As his story is being told, you can see how his path was laid out for him. I'm at the part where he is finding out that instead of being a professor like he had planned, it was pastoring that truly was taking over his heart and path. Eugene Peterson is described as one of the humblest men to grace the ministry. The author was a friend with Eugene and he saw first hand how hard it was at first to get him to give him access to his journals, letters and such. Then, added to this was who Eugene Peterson thought was important and it wasn't celebrity pastors or theologians. Over the years I have used Eugene Peterson devotion books and especially now, here in some of the most beautiful scenery ever, they click in my spirit even more. With about an hour of early morning reading, I was able to go back to sleep, not dream the scary dream and find rest until I woke up this morning. 

The process is slow but steady in changing out the downstairs. Going through books again and that is the hardest area for me to let go, but dang it, some more books need to go...so more can come in...no...well, yes. I plead the fifth. Have more shredding to do. 

****************

I have been away from the computer for several days. Out of the blue after playing or while playing Tri Peaks, I feel like I have vertigo. Nothing else bothers me, just that card game. Guess I will have to find another outlet for keeping sharp. So once again last night a bad dream woke me up. I got up and read for about an hour and then went back to sleep. For me, I slept in a bit and so the kitties were very hungry this morning being fed later than usual. Toupee actually rubbed up against my hand and Junior after hissing his presence sniffed my hand before putting the dish down in front of him. It was rough and tumble there at the bowls this morning. The other day KH was on the driveway, close to the garage door. I heard this deep rumbling sound, almost mechanical like. The kitties bristled a bit and ate with a great awareness of him being so close. I finally realized that was him making that sound, nothing like I have ever heard before from him or any other cat. Sure there is growling and such but this was unnerving. 

Yesterday, I received such a wonderful and heartfelt surprise. A friend sent a plaque of Buddy and an easel to place it on. It is on my desk now but I bawled upon opening it. What a kind and thoughtful treasure. Peggy sent me a necklace of Cali's likeness after Cali passed on. I look at these remembrances and I am overcome with joy and tears. So many spiritual and life lessons learned from Cali and Buddy, but also HP and the others. 

Thursday was the twice yearly dental cleaning and I left with a pretty good bill of teeth health. Afterwards I tried to go through the line at Biltmore Church, but fifteen days early, so no go. I made a stop at the nearby Barnes and Noble and then headed back toward home with a quick stop in The Fresh Market. I'm trying to keep ready made meals in the house and that helps me stick around here. Not that I don't want to but if there isn't something rather easy to prepare, I resort to junk food. The $5.00 pizza on Thursdays is so good. Several weeks ago it was the greek pizza but this week, veggie. Add some jalapeño stuff olives to the mix and there is deliciousness right there in the kitchen.  Leftovers for lunch today. 

************

I went to bed at halftime and it felt like LSU would lose even if they were ahead then. Happy to have gone to sleep rather than finish out the game since they lost. Even the official LSU Twitter account confirms why they are likely to not finish out well this season. They are too busy thinking about Joe Burrows. The account showed JB in his Bengals uniform. That is the past and it seems no one can look at the present or the future without thinking about LSU in 2019. Just seems to be their mindset. 

I spent the afternoon shredding all the little pieces of paper that have accumulated and thus little stacks of paper everywhere are gone. Got several other chores taken care of on a stay at home Saturday. Read a couple of articles on the delta variant that seemed a bit encouraging. 

Roy texted me last night around 7:30 pm central time letting me know he was going to bed. I was talking to Brenda when he texted, so I hung up with her and called him. He has had one very stressful week. He is putting in a lot of hours at the office and next week is looking like a repeat. This morning he sounded rested and that makes me happy. Thankful for him resting because there was a day, that he would just push through. There was a day he didn't take concern with his well being and health. He still motors on but with a wisely discourse and that is a huge blessing to me. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to teaching in a couple of weeks. All the backstories have to come together and it's looking good for being able to get back before the end of October. I told our pastor I miss church, friends and teaching but I also know that to be careful not fearful is the best thing I can do right now. This morning I zoomed with Dayspring, the class I was a member of in Houston. My friend Carole taught and they are using the quarterly like our class is. Carole is such a gifted teacher and I also love being able to call her a friend. 

Ah, a gentle rain has began. Gentle rain is good for the flowers and plants. Even with cooler temps I am over going out to water plants. We will probably have the first frost before the end of October so I will need to move in the lime and lemon potted trees. 




No comments: