Saturday, April 24, 2021

Oh The Memories...

 



Our home in Katy went on the market yesterday. This got me to thinking and so this morning I went back to Monablog April 2011 and read the story of how we came to find the house we wanted, the lot we picked and the stories that went along with that wild ride ten years ago. The house market is hot in the Houston area so we are hoping that the warmth of the real estate market graces our home there and we will be in that wild adventure of getting Roy settled in for the rest of his ride before finally arriving here. Last night, after an unscheduled stop at Costco to get a nail removed from a tire, Roy came home and adjusted a few things I saw in the pictures of our house. Poor baby, he was so tired but it was a good thing he did that because there is a showing appointment today. 

Hopefully, we have seen the last of freezing for the spring. The last two nights I have covered plants to protect them. I don't think last night got as cold as the night before, but I wasn't taking any chances. The cooler temps during the day kept me inside quite a bit and I made significant headway in changing out the seasonal clothing and getting things ready to take to Goodwill. I also cut up strawberries and got a few things put away that had found a temporary residence on the dinning room table. I'll probably evict some more squatters from the table today as well. 

On this cold morning there were a few that came for treats, including HP. She and I have kind of an easy going relationship. HP likes to come in for a private dining experience but if she isn't tired and hasn't been wandering about all night, she is fine to leave once she has consumed what she deems needed until breakfast. That is what most mornings are like but every once in a while, she wants to nap on the daybed. 

This week a friend from church and high school passed away from cancer. I haven't seen her or kept in touch with her all these years as we went our separate ways but it was good to go back in those long ago memories to remember her. By the time I was in high school, I had pretty much stopped going to Westbury Baptist Church. Early on it was by choice and then everything changed January 1971 when I came to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. That's when I started going to Willow Meadows Baptist. A friend posted a few pics from back in the day and those who are on FB, I looked at their pages. We are all grown up, well we grew up and now well....thankful. Several years ago I read about a reunion of sorts that an ensemble from church in the late 60s and early 70s had. One member in particular, who was somewhat of a wild child and didn't fit in church world but had a beautiful voice wrote about the reunion. She had grown up, left the wild child days behind and was successful in business and life. She wrote that when they all got together she was put back into her long ago identity. They all responded and reacted from their long ago roles in high school, church ensemble singing. She was saddened by the experience and wrote she would not go to another reunion if planned. It is not the same thing, but this is why when passing the exit on the Interstate for Monroeville, the home of Harper Lee, I've never been tempted to turn off and take a look see. It is not the same as when she grew up, she had a love/hate relationship with the group that reenacts the courtroom scene  from To Kill a Mockingbird and with all the anticlimactic hype, it would be such a major disappointment. 

****************

Good morning from rainy NC. We have needed the rain and tomorrow afternoon if the weather cooperates, I will be planting rose bushes. Yesterday, after going to Goodwill, I stopped at Big Lots to look at outdoor chair cushions. Found what I was looking for. Normally, I buy these at Lowe's but the ones I wanted had to be shipped or delivered. Besides, with the sun bleaching out outdoor things, I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Then a quick trip to TSC to use my coupon on cat food and birdseed, mostly. I bought a lemon and a lime tree. Came home to drop things off and headed back out to Lowe's where I found the containers with wheels for the lemon and lime trees. I also found some white rose bushes and a rose tree, with the tropical color roses. The poor hydrangeas are beginning their third time to leaf out. Three freezes have cut that time. I see a few green leaves again and hopefully, they will survive. I forgot to cover the spring azaleas and I did enjoy the lavish color of the blooms, well that is before the freeze this past week.  

I have the little fireplace looking space heater on for Buddy. She has had a difficult week with the cooler temps. She is slowing down. Well, there really isn't too much to slow down from but she is sleeping a lot more. We usually sit together in the mornings but she has wanted to sit by me in the evenings. I welcome her company except when I am trying to eat and she wants to sit close to my head. The Feral Fam was rowdy yesterday, in a good way. They were having a blast playing and tackling one another. Even HP got in on the fun and that was good to see. She doesn't usually jump in on that kind of thing. 

The rain has become more steady and even though there are things to do, the rain is calling me to just sit and read this morning. Have several options to choose from. I find it funny that Barnes and Noble sends emails that say since you read_________, you might like these. Yeah, funny, since I read...maybe it should be since you bought ___________ and it is on your TBR, can we tempt you with these books. Hmmm...go ahead, I'm listening......

No comments: