Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Happenings In and Around

 Yesterday, after a dental appointment for a night guard and to put a different type healing cap on my soon to be completed yet nothing is every easy implant. I've mentioned before the dentist office is very close to the Biltmore Estate and when we were tourists and if I missed the turn for I 40, we turned around in their parking lot. With the day being so beautiful and the tulips and Biltmore Bloom happening, I decided to treat myself to an afternoon of visual delights and relaxation. The drive through the gardens? Well, just so beautiful and everyone had the same idea in mind to stop at the garden shop but when no close by parking was available, I continued on toward Antler Hill Village. Made a quick detour when the sheep and lambs were close by the fence in their regular spring pasture. Yes, just what I needed, more sheep pics but it was fun to watch the lambs play, the moms intervene and the soft bleating of moms and babies. There was a black and white sheep in the mix. I have never seen one in that pasture and when finally exiting the estate, I drove by once again and thought I saw a black sheep at the top of the hill. In hindsight, I think it was a tree stump by looking at the picture I took. I wandered around Antler Hill Village till 4:30 to eat at The Bistro. For a long time The Bistro has not been my favorite dinning experience at the Biltmore, but they grill a mean steak, so I go there when the hankering for steak is calling. Outside seating was comfortable, no flies or anything. Good people watching and one group in particular was interesting. It seemed as if their conversations were had for those around them. They talked loud, bragged about things but to look at them, they didn't fit the stereotype of their conversations. It seemed to me, my amateur opinion, said they were working the Bistro for a free meal. Nothing was right or at least to them. They complained about the rosemary focaccia bread, which at my table was delicious. Then they complained about the temperature of their soup and had it sent back. Then the steaks arrived...overcooked...for them. Lots of fussing going on, more protest than seemed necessary. I didn't stick around for the end result. The winery had rosemary cheese straws and the regular cheese straws are so good and I love rosemary, so it should be a winning combination. I decided to take the long and scenic drive home and it was worth the time and extra miles. 

I returned home to famished cats waiting for my return so supper could be served. HP ran straight to the back porch door, so I let her in and then went about my return to normal life by bringing the trash cans up to the house and feeding the cats. Buddy was just as annoyed and happy to see me. Treated her and she was fine to return upstairs to her napping spot. Talked with Roy and our conversation was mainly about the house in Katy and then all that relaxation and peace seemed to ebb away with a few feelings of being overwhelmed hit me straight on. So much to think about, decisions and what will need to be done. 

Another overwhelming moment from reading, some weeds around here take seven to eight years to totally eradicate from flowerbeds in NC. I think the fast growth of weeds and all the flying gnats, flies and stink bugs are the price we pay to live in such scenic and majestic beauty. I have just come inside after planting two snowball bushes to contribute to the beauty in the backyard. Have a few more things that are safe to plant now, but will wait till the late afternoon to resume the work outdoors. Mike the Mower Man is here and I do not want to impede mowing and weed eating. Besides, it has warmed up and with the additional heat come the anticipated slow down that comes with work outdoors. 

Roy is doing his best to understand weather around these parts but he wants to use Texas reasoning for it and believe me, it doesn't work. The weather trends here are so different from there. We were talking about the apple crop and that growers in Hendersonville are concerned they have lost 80-90% of their fall crop due to the latest cold weather. I won't bore you with the conversation but it is amusing to hear his justifications for weather related news that just doesn't apply here. 

***********

Ah Wednesday, I've been looking forward to you for about three weeks. So far this morning I have studied for the Sunday School lesson this Sunday and talked real estate with Roy. Last night Ryan got the comps to us and in the group of homes he looked at, one is our floor plan, almost exactly the same except we did hardwoods throughout with the exception of tile in the bathroom and carpet in the guest bedrooms. That house has an option pending and the asking price is about where I thought we could be. I had worked out in the yard all day and Roy had a "day" at the office, so neither of us were fully, mentally there to discuss with Ryan. Roy asked if we could move the discussion to tonight. He has a big meeting this afternoon and will be in a better mindset tonight. It just so happened that I talked with my brother last night, who used to be in real estate, and he gave me some good ideas. He is in the midst of going through old pictures and found school class pics from elementary school of both of our parents. We were searching and looking for our parents as children. Easier for my mom and I only remember seeing one childhood pic of my father. 

So in this real estate discussion is the looming issue of going back to Houston to help with the process. Buddy looms large in this decision and if worse comes to worse, we will take her and bring her back. This puts plans in limbo and while I am thrilled for this to happen, I am also overwhelmed by it. Roy can talk about this stuff early in the morning...me not so much. 


No comments: