Friday, April 20, 2018

Snow, Mow, Grow, Plateau and Blow

On Monday it snowed...On Tuesday Mike mowed...On Wednesday it's in the 80's so plants grow...Tomorrow at 49 degrees the temps plateau...On Friday the winds pick up and really blow....  It is an adventure this April in all things weather related.

Since it was a beautiful day it behooved me to get out and about....so Waynesville sounded like a destination for the day. Left early to eat at Blue Rooster...fried chicken, mac and cheese and green beans. Might have brought some coconut cake home with me. Then I headed over to Belk's looking for some pillow shams for the new quilt in the queen bed bedroom. Think I found something that works and...also found a few pillows and things that will work in the bonus room. I am in the process of changing out several of the pillows and covers.
**********************
This morning was an early rise and shine because of a doctor appointment at 9:00 in Hendersonville. The traffic wasn't bad and Andy was running on time...so, I was out of there before 9:30 and feeling in a really good mood it felt like an Another Broken Egg kind of morning. It did not disappoint. Had the banana foster waffle and good manners prevented me from licking the plate clean. Made a quick stop in at the Barnes and Noble and then headed toward home. Oh, I made a trip to the bank and then on home. The skies looked like snow and while this April that wouldn't be too far fetched, it wasn't in the forecast, even in the higher elevations. Upon arriving home I set out to gather things together for the church yard sale next weekend and also get a few things here and there put away. Since I had a two week restriction on activity, there is a lot to catch up on.

On this visit more things were ruled out health-wise. So, the vague journey continues but I am paying attention to all that the Lord is doing.
***************
I can't seem to get a post written. I was out the door early for workout. Thank goodness we did mostly restorative work today because my body is tired. Last night I went to bed around 10:00 and woke up several times with leg cramps. Didn't hydrate enough yesterday. After our workout I headed over to the post office and then to Lowe's for a few more flowers. Since I was that way I decided to go to Ingles and get a few things and then I came home and started working outside. It is in the 60's today and really warm. My progress was thwarted by the drill not being charged so I changed directions and worked on flower boxes for the front deck. I also knew I needed to water the snowball bushes that were just planted...so with that I brought the heavy hose to the front and attached it to the hose already on the side of the house. It was hard work and note to self, sprayers need to be replaced every year. They loose their hold or something, so not only was I exhausted now I was sopping wet but those new plants all got watered. Good thing we don't have an HOA cause I would be in trouble for leaving the orange hose in the yard but I don't have the energy this evening to bring it up closer to the house. That will be an endeavor for tomorrow....maybe. I read that snowball bushes need a lot of water once they are planted and with rain not expected till Sunday and the high evaporation rate of water, I knew there would need to be some watering going on today. Mission accomplished!

It seems surreal to be watching coverage of Barbara Bush's life and now her funeral tomorrow in Houston from here. For years I would see Mrs. Bush at Rice Epicurean and she once almost hit me in the parking lot...Tomorrow her funeral will be held at St Martin's Episcopal church. It is a gorgeous sanctuary. For many years Roy and I attended their Christmas Eve service because First Baptist had gone to the afternoon type services and it felt more Christmasy to attend there, in the evening. The music outstanding, choir and the organ...oh my goodness....  Every year when you'd walk in especially at the 9:00 pm service, the fragrance of bourbon and scotch mixed with fir and poinsettias greeted you as you walked into the sanctuary. I loved that smell. You don't get that mixture too much in a Baptist Church.  I always joked with Roy that by taking communion there at St Martin's I had committed a fire-able offense at First Baptist cause that wasn't no grape juice being served. We saw them there several times. The lady I worked for Betty Baker, who had more money than God, also went there. One day as I was writing checks and doing some correspondence for her, Mrs. Baker said...did you see the steeples I paid for? St Martin's was going from a 1960's type building to the huge Gothic cathedral now.

I am worn out. All the gardening and I just had to bring in or cover the plants I put out today, finished cutting up the rest of the delicious strawberries and of course making sure Buddy has enough treats. I moved stuff going to the yard sale downstairs, at least some of it, and doing a few other things to get ready for my friend Carole's visit. Hoping for warmer temps, which I think we will have when she is here.

No comments: