Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Oh Produce Stand Season, How I Love You!

It's beginning to look a lot like produce stand season, everywhere you go....It's the most wonderful time of the year...with the strawberry picking and FB greetings all sold for today y'all....Over the river and through the woods to produce stands we go...  From this medley of songs you must know by now that this one is jazzed about the beginning of fruit and veggie time. Yesterday along the roads produce stands were being cleaned and readied for customers, in the most wonderful time of the year. Add to this the red buds, dogwoods, apple trees and all other blooming trees...azaleas, snowball bushes and tulips and lest we forget all the pollen, it is a coming out party of nature after the long sleep. So timely with a late Easter that even in nature, resurrection comes and brings joy. The colors of the sky and earth are vibrant and verdant. I love fall, my favorite season but living where we enjoy four seasons...I don't know spring is gaining on fall. 

So, I made the twice postponed journey to Hendersonville for blood work before the yearly check up in May. Went early and bonus, spring break here. so less traffic to deal with. With the lab work done rather quickly, I was able to go have breakfast at Fireside Restaurant and Pancake Inn. It did not disappoint, great food and coffee. Then it seemed like the thing to do next was to make my first trip and hopefully not my last, to Strawberry Hill in South Carolina for fresh from the field strawberries. Such a beautiful drive after getting off I 26. Several produce stands along the way, not open yet, but people were there cleaning and making the stand ready for this produce stand season. Since I was on kind of a schedule, I only bought strawberries and didn't go to the gift shop or diner across the way. Back on the road to return to Hendersonville and stop in at Southern Chicks. They open at 11:00, I pulled in at 11:03 and when I left at 11:20, the parking lot was packed...just like the store. Now you may think Nancy, that lends itself to deduction but I'm talking about how much they have packed into that small space. You have to do a walk through and then shop cause there is so much to see. I have a natural affinity for this shop because they sell some of the best sheep related merchandise and yesterday, it was theme shopping...everything bought had to do with sheep.

It is bluebonnet time in Texas and it sounds like this is a banner year for the bluebonnets as well as all the other wild flowers that come in a too short season of time. So all highways that go toward Brenham and Navasota are filled with cars full of people trying to catch a glimpse of this seasonal beauty and take pictures in the midst of the fields of flowers. Please keep an eye out for snakes...anyway, a friend wrote of their frustrating trip with their three kids and mother in law to go see the flowers Sunday after church. My friend wrote about the frustration of the trip trying to get everyone fed so they could go see the flowers on Facebook concluding that small town charm was a myth because the local restaurants were closing thirty minutes before their posted closing time. I kind of chuckled because the charm of small town eateries is just what he complained about... I have noticed at some restaurants near Asheville some favor local over tourist. Once Dena and I were at a well known place and the waitress took us for tourists and treated us thusly...well, in our conversation while ordering our meal, I said a couple of things that would indicate I live here and the service so improved like night and day.

With such a beautiful day I tried to spend as much time outdoors as possible...we may have a dusting of snow on Saturday so everything I did today can be moved into the porch. Another day of good weather though, so that is wonderfl.

No comments: