Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Wonder or Wander

Lest one worry that I spend way too much time with cats, but when it is really cold, not getting above freezing, and even though I love cold weather, yesterday and today have been biting cold. Thus more observation time offeral life in the backyard. It looks like Punky and Strawyer have parted ways for a bit. She is avoiding me because of the whole pan banging incident yesterday. Everything I have read says that cats forget about other cats around day three. While there seemed to be some mourning of the Mr yesterday, he seems to be out of sight and mind for the kittens today. 

I almost put on a hat to go out and retrieve the recycling trash can this morning. Think I set a new record in how quickly I got down to the road and back. My ears were frozen, although lined Uggs made my feet roasty toasty.

The heaters are getting a good workout but they will get a reprieve beginning tomorrow as we slowly but surely warm up. The sun is helping heat the house this afternoon so hopefully the electric bill won't blow the budget this month.

I am also mired in Zechariah. Two weeks of short winded prophets out the door with this fourteen chapter book that uses all the literary forms in sharing the message. Once again, Lifeway has kind of picked weird verses to emphasize, but I am not complaining cause there are plenty there they could have chosen. Yesterday, I felt overwhelmed by the whole book and this morning I listened to the chapters on Dwell while eating breakfast. I am feeling better about being able to teach a lesson celebrating that God sent His Son and a few applicable points along the way. I am no theologian but if a lesson doesn't have stories with the facts...my mind wonders and wanders.

To counter my overwhelming-mess of Zechariah, I have been reading a book written by Pat Conroy's wife. I can never remember titles. I am a huge fan of Pat Conroy and his narrative style is a genre that totally envelopes me. I remember reading her first work of fiction, which at the time was titled Making Waves in Zion. Last night I read a couple of essays in another book about him, written by authors who knew him and his style. One of those writers is Anne Rivers Siddons, who at one time was one of my favorite authors. Her last two books had too many scenes with baths...it started getting on my nerves. But she passed away last year thus I can reread some of her first works and truly fall back in love with her writing style. Also, I just found out a week or so ago that Elizabeth Spenser had passed away. I enjoy her work very much. Elizabeth was 98 years old. Let me get back to the book at hand, the authors writing about Pat Conroy....well, now I don't remember where I was going with this, but....I liked the few essays I read last night.

When you have a couple of days immersed in thoughts and trying to stay warm, oh and also wearing all my favorite heavyweight flannel shirts, sometimes the oddest things come to mind. I have had a few laughs at some of those thoughts and others...some pondering without getting trapped in the hmmm....  It occurred to me that once my parents were empty nesters, my father wanted to travel and see things. Now my mom, she would go if she could see it from the car. She liked being at home working outside in her gardens...her flowerbeds were some of the most beautiful you would ever see. Once she passed away, we thought Dad would travel, one of his best friends a travel agent and could book him trips to all the places he wanted to go. He never made any trips except to the cafeteria, doctor appointments and grocery store. You know, he probably didn't want to travel that much but he used that travel bug thing to aggravate my mother...cause he knew it would cause great anxiety for her.

Today for the first time since January 2nd, I didn't have to take an antibiotic. Especially this last prescription that was rather strong. Antibiotics can mess with you in so many ways. Hopefully, I will not have to take anymore for dental work next month.

Great, Roy's dress pants I ordered for him have arrived. I hope that they were delivered to the front porch of else I am going to have to go down to the mailbox and with the number of people walking up and down the road, looking in mailboxes, I need to get out there sooner than later. Nearly 2:00pm and it is only 29 degrees. Yea! They were on the front porch along with the paperback book I do every year of my blog. Last year, I didn't write as much, so it is a rather skinny book.

No comments: