Friday, January 21, 2022

Enjoy The Winter View

 There is a winter fog settling into our valley. Not a heavy fog but definitely a winter scene. There is also a winter fog settling over my brain while preparing for Sunday. There is so much in this first chapter of Daniel. Roy just came downstairs and said have you ever thought about Daniel is becoming who he needs to be in the first chapter so that the second chapter happens. Surprisingly to us both, I had looked into that yesterday on my limited ability to think through concrete yet abstract thoughts. With Roy's propensity to think exactly that way, it was more than interesting until my brain felt like it had gone on overload and rebelled wanting to return to the nonsensical nature that is prone to be experienced more than deep and heavy matters. Just for fun I Googled Up a paper written by a professor at Stanford University, written in 2001 but highly revised, their words, in 2021. Made it through the introduction before I began thinking about other things. Like, I took philosophy in college and flunked the course. Made A and Bs on tests and papers but I would not go to the lab, for discussion. It was a catch 22 situation I could go and get torn apart on what I believed or not go. I would fail no matter. I should have dropped the course but I thought maybe I would make a point with this professor. He made his point though. That was the year I stepped on a sewing needle...please do not faint knowing I was trying to sew on a button, dropped the needle in the shag carpet in my bedroom, couldn't find it but found it when I went to answer the phone. Stepped on it and it broke off in my foot. Father said I was fine but after a couple of days, I was not fine and went to the family doctor. He scheduled me immediately  for surgery to remove the needle. When he got into my foot, he couldn't find it and believed it was traveling around in my body. He was about to close up my foot and get me X-rays to find it when his finger tip touched it. The needle had traveled into a toe. After the surgery my parents were there and even coming out of the drugs I remember my father saying to me, "thanks a lot. You are costing me money," After this long, rambling paragraph you may join in with me saying, Nancy, stay out of philosophy matters. 

Well, that fog, it's snow. We are experiencing a light dusting of snow this morning. According to meteorologists, the snow in the mountains would be a hit or miss situation. 

After revealing the whole sewing experience, please be prepared for the next paragraph of secrets revealed. Yesterday, I made tortilla soup and it turned out to be a good batch. Sounds like I am making moonshine or something...but no soup. Froze most of it after having our supper but kept some for lunch this weekend. Today, now this is where you need to be sitting down, I got up early and put a roast in the crock pot. Fixing food two days in a row! What? Roy is hoping that this is something to become normal where I am thinking, maybe it's just the snow and winter weather. 

Different morning at breakfast today. Most of the main participants were in attendance. Baby was in the corner and yes, I know nobody puts Baby in the corner, but he put himself there. Blazey and Toupee met me at the door, Blazey is getting the hang of this, meeting me at the door means first food served is to these cats. The orange kitten who is growing by leaps and bounds has had a metamorphosis, he is becoming assertive at the food bowls. He is getting in closer to proximity but still runs a bit when I come near. 

We got word that Waste Pro will start back with regular pickups on Monday but recyclables not until our next regular day, January 31st. Such a quandary. So once again we planned a trip to the landfill and took trash but we also took several boxes of recyclables. That helped us in two ways, got rid of more moving boxes and plastic and glass bottles. We were in good company while there, a truck from the Biltmore Estate had backed up to a dumpster. It didn't look like trash from food or anything like that, must be from projects going on around the estate. You know nothing like being with the Biltmore, even at the dump. It was almost like being at the Estate...if one was hanging around their dumpsters. 


Today, I will leave you with these thoughts on snow from Reems Creek Nursery. 

  


  • Snow is called “poor man’s fertilizer”. We can all rejoice in the wealth of free nitrogen we received!
  • According to NOAA, on average, 13 inches of snow is equal to 1 inch of rain.
  • Snow can act like an insulating blanket for plants, but too much snow can cause branches to break. With a broom, gently remove heavy snow from trees and shrubs that may be damaged by the weight of the snow.
  • De-icing salts can damage your plants, so apply de-icers with care. Sand, kitty litter, and sawdust won’t melt snow, but they may help prevent slipping on pathways.
  • Old timers suggest sowing grass seed just before a snow (the snow insulates the seed and provides slow-release moisture to the seed). Try sowing grass seed on those bare spots in your lawn!  
  • A blanket of snow disguises a multitude of eyesores. Enjoy the winter view.

 
 So from a snowy day in the mountains I'll repeat the last line from Reems Creek, enjoy the winter view

No comments: