Friday, December 9, 2022

A December Start

 Already the 5th of December. With three cats under the age of one we adulted and chose to not put up a tree or very many Christmas decorations that would tempt our otherwise, fairly well behaved cats. We haven't put out many outside decorations either just because, well no reason other than the normal time we got started, Thanksgiving weekend, we didn't begin. Oh well, just think of all the time we'll have not having to put up stuff after the first of the year. 

This morning I've listened to Christmas music from Apple Music playlists. I'm telling you Merry Christmas Darling gets no love, couldn't find it on any playlist. Of course I haven't looked through all of them. Listened to Shepherds Pipe Carol, just to see if I remember the brief, repetitive and boring alto part. Yes, comes back to me every Christmas. 

I've listened to a good bit of classical Christmas music and always around this time of year. There is a big part of me that wishes we were Episcopal or some other type of liturgical worship style. Guess it is from all the years I couldn't stay up anymore for the 11:00 pm Christmas Eve service at HFBC so we went to St Martins. Nothing like a Christmas Eve service scented by balsam, candles, and whiskey/bourbon. I didn't keep up too well with when to kneel but no problem for Roy being raised Catholic. I remember one sermon from those services, when good things take up the space that should be held for Jesus. I always remember the music, high church with a mix of beloved carols intermixed with John Rutter, and for good measure pieces from the classical vein. They offered communion at these services and every time I participated in the Lord's Supper, it could have led to a fire able offense since I worked at First Baptist. Wine verses grape juice kind of thing. I also know the novelty of liturgical would soon become rote and it would loose the specialness. Just like being Baptist, those traditions of Lottie Moon can sometimes become repetitive and boring, only because we don't look at these things through a fresh set of spiritual eyes. Once I read that Lottie had a great sense of humor and that she attended church and revivals to make fun of the speaker I thought, Lottie and I could be friends. The night she came to know the Lord, she had sat herself right close to the front of the church but she heard the gospel instead of her giggles and laughter. 

****************

Roy and I ran errands for most of Tuesday. The rain and fog cleared once we had everything done for our ride back home. We made a quick stop into Barnes and Noble and it was a quick stop because the only parking close by was the 15 minute limit variety. Found the Daphne 2023 planner I had been looking for and a Foxfire book, a best of thirty essays. Not bad for a limited part of time. For 2023 one of my, I hate to say goals and it sure isn't a bucket list, but I am going to try to read Jane Austen. Never ever have and please don't @ me over this. Found a book with all her novels and a few shorter pieces of work at a very good price. So, the Jane Austen thing for 2023. 

Our tree guys are now coming on another date due to the rain. So Roy has headed out to work out and to stop at Publix. The boys are all quiet. G Moey in my lap, Willie in his playpen and Mr Mo upstairs. G Moey is becoming quite the lap cat. Fluff Butt one better known as Willie looks to be a lap cat soon enough. He just has all that pent up kitten energy. 

***********

It was a dark and foggy night and a pale foggy morning. We had a rare day for WNC or at least rare for the times we have been here. Most days don't stay rainy all day but pretty much yesterday was one of those rare occurrences. We've needed the rain and with precipitation spread out no flooding or mud slides, at least around here.  

Once again the days don't give a lot of time for blogging right now, so I'll just finish this up. With the rainy days, we have tried to do some closet cleanouts as well as things we've let go too long. It is good that I don't hold too tightly to material things. Once again I am faced with the obsession I have with journals, especially with thin lines. Oh my...They will find good homes...eventually. Haha! 

1 comment:

Carole Lewis said...

I have one of your journals you donated to Dayspring. I am a journal junkie as well and probably have 25 to choose from because I keep buying more.