Sunday, April 23, 2023

Sam's, Produce Stands and The Feral Fam

 We are once again Sam's Club members. They had an offer we couldn't refuse. $10.00 for a year membership. After our haircuts, we made our way over to shop and get a complementary card for Roy. They were pushing for the premium membership the whole time. We offered up that if we enjoyed our shopping experience, we certainly would give some consideration to upping to premium. Why we were missing out on free shipping, huge discounts with glasses and contacts and I forget what else. We walked away with the card and with a cart or as they are called buggies here, to look around and shop. It was a pleasant experience all around. No one wearing pajamas and slippers, good selection of things we like, better book selection than Costco and potting soil. We still like Costco better yet we were not put off by the experience. Not a bad deal, spend $10.00 to spend $194.00 checking out. 

Reminded me of my last time getting the $10.00 deal when offered by a tennis friend to be added to their membership. Went to Sam's to do just that and well....I didn't know the name of her design business so, without batting an eye, I began to tell a story of how this was my first day, that I was in tennis clothes because my first day included taking our client out for a game of tennis while the workmen measured for window treatments, floor coverings and fixtures. My first day also included coming to Sam's getting the coffee essentials and I knew my first day would be my last if I returned to the office empty handed simply because I forgot the name of the design firm I had just gone to work for. I remembered the boss's name, Betty Magee, that's it. I got the membership add on and I was feeling pretty proud of myself, thinking on my feet like that. Loading the car up, the Lord got my attention and reminded me what I called thinking on my feet was called lying by Him. Was it worth it to lie for a $10.00 add on? Boy, well when you put it that way Lord... Being pressured to update yesterday, well, it was nothing. 

******

After a very dry week, we had rain overnight and this morning. The sun is doing its best to shine through and will probably make a showing here sooner than later. While wrapping up the notes for the lesson tomorrow and as I contemplated all of the meaning of these previous chapters, then reading chapter 17 once again, it hit me in such a different way. As written before, the relationship Jesus had with His disciples has seen the spotlight this time through John as well as how much the religious leaders hated Him. Not a bad view from the upstairs window while contemplating these things. After a good rain, all the shades of green show out. Yesterday, while driving to Canton we could see the greening of the mountain side and all the brown and bare is consumed with new life almost to the tops of the mountains.  

We finally made it for our first visit of the produce stand season this year, to Duckett's. We were not disappointed because Lou Lou is selling her canned greasy beans again at the store. They are so good! She has a couple of new items. We picked up the mashed strawberries for biscuits or ice cream. For a brief minute we thought about going to Christopher's Farm, but decided to head back home cause we had things we needed to do at home, projects to finish as well as start.  

While sidelined from blogging I did get some things accomplished. Here is one you didn't see coming, I finally color coded all my t-shirts. I'd even given many away, but still needed those popular colors in drawers to find them easier. The other project is just about done. We have been searching for a wooden cabinet at antique stores and a few thrift stores. Never found what we needed, well once but we waited too late and someone else bought it. While talking to my brother the other night I told him about the search and I was just about ready to empty a bookcase with doors to solve our too little of space pantry problem. Move the heavy bookcase into the dinning room, arrange a few things and go on from there. He mentioned we could turn the dining room into a room we actually use except for accumulating things we don't know where to put. A wonderful idea except if we decided to sell our home in the next few years, it would be difficult with the dining room being used otherwise. We did that in our Cinco Ranch home but that dining room was the strangest room to be used for that. Early on, we should have expanded the kitchen and just have a big eat in kitchen. From this conversation I decided not to move the bookcase but to move the books. I found two places to display books as well as filling in the empty spaces. Worked beautifully. Now I need to find some art deco fabric to cover the glass in the doors. Redneck ingenuity. Really who cares? This kind of stuff is not a high priority these days. 

*************

Home from church, I took a nap with Willie and Mr Mo, had some delicious strawberries and soon will pick up the book I am really enjoying but so slow, really. When reading slowly, it is written by the point of view of different characters and it takes me a bit to remember who this person is. 

We try to gather another member of the Feral Fam in the morning. Hopefully, we will be able to get the one Roy calls Fido. She follows him all over when he is outside and has even rubbed against his legs. She is one of the twins. 

This will have to do for now. Glad to be back blogging. 

No comments: