Friday, July 12, 2024

Cats, Appointments and Being Older

 Good Morning from the Inn on the Catmore Estate. This is a much better morning than yesterday. The kittens were lethargic and had that look. We ran through anything that we had changed in their diet and we narrowed down what we thought might be the problem. Last night we fed them just a bit of milk to tide them over through the night. It seems to have done the trick. This morning I was greeted with a exuberant greeting by all three. We did a little milk and then had morning playtime on the front porch. GMoey took part once again but still ignores These Three for the most part. When the gray kitten tried to nurse from him, GMoey gave it such a look! Just gave them the second round of milk and they have settled down into nap time. At lunch time we will give the two who eat solid wet kitten food a little bit of lunch. I read this morning that the little guy who has trouble eating out of the bowl might be due to eyesight not being fully developed. This is my first time working with kittens so young so I am trying to learn all that I can. 

 This time two Saturdays ago I never planned nor imagined that we would have little kittens in the house. It has been our practice to help only when it seems like the mom or moms in this case need help. Everything seemed to be going well with the exception of the eye matting. That Saturday afternoon when I picked up the first kitten, she was covered in maggots. I hate those things. Anyway, that opened up the opportunity for These Three on Sunday. They are fun to watch and all three have the sweetest personalities. I had my doubts with the gray one because his linage is Mr Meany, Frankie and Nimbus...all mean, all nasty in temperament. He is just the sweetest thing, purrs and he loves that solid food topped with salmon lil soups as a chaser. I just gave them their milk feeding and then brought the above mentioned fav of the lil gray one. He and the orange kitten that loves wet food, fought to the death I mean fought to the nap to clean out the bowl, although there right beside the grudge match of the morning was a bowl with the same food in it.

We are more and more becoming "that" couple who go to Dr appointments together. Although, we have not stepped over the line of going back as a couple behind the golden door. The nurse asked if I would like Roy to come back and I said no way. Not there at that point. Success with the three words, yay! Drew the clock but with just a second of hesitation. She said draw the clock with no hands. Okay, I replied, it might take a while since I don't usually draw with my mouth holding a pen. I put my pen in my mouth, it was my pen, and she cracked up. Of course she must have seen that a million times, but she said I am the first who ever did that. Got to see Dr Andy and always a joy to talk with him. I have had some concerns and we talked though what they could be. This thing, whatever it is has been going on for a little more than two years. The process of getting an orthopedic is in process. Andy sent a referral and  I got a text that I am now in their portal system. Everything moves slowly here, especially anything in the medical profession. 

Our blackberries are producing much fruit this season. Some of those berries are huge! Both Roy and I picked yesterday. Birds are getting to the tomatoes, so we hung red Christmas ball ornaments among the branches. We planted purple Cherokee cherry tomatoes and they are producing like crazy. All his tomato plants are. I haven't been over to the other side of the yard to see the bell peppers but Roy says they are doing good. 

*******

 Getting a mammogram here is one of the only not slow timing medical things one can get here. They contacted me yesterday to set up my appointment and I could have gone in today, but since we have a car in the shop I turned down the immediacy of getting in so quickly. I chose another date a couple of weeks out. Now, here is the thing I learned yesterday. For a brief moment that maybe I'll start calling Bidenbrain, not a political comment just keeping up with world events, I had Bidenbrain and couldn't remember the word, mammogram. Imagining, resolution all came to mind but finally at the last minute, the word came forth into the brain and out of my mouth. This little slip up caused the conversation to go really slow and be given instructions very slowly and at least five times telling me the address. Yes, I have been there before but now the mammogram office takes up the whole second floor instead of being on the first floor. Yep, after about the third time I know where to go. I am at that age and I know it comes with the territory but some of the questions you are asked are borderline ageist.  Do I live at home rather than in a home, can I bathe myself...? Yes, it is my preference. Can I walk by myself? Yes, that is my preference as well. Do I know what time I am supposed to arrive at the center? Why yes, I can even draw a clock for you and show my work that I understand the concept of noon. The lady asking me all these questions was so kind but I was painfully aware she had or as singers and worship leaders are wont to say, let's bring it down a little, cause I had a bit of a stumble at first. I thought I was never going to get off the phone with her, though. Must be a sensitive subject to me cause of those types of questions in the checkup this week. Do we have throw rugs? WE also have cats, so we do have throw up. Do we have cords and wires I have to step over? Do we have stairs and if so, are there items on the steps. Well, technically yes but I answered no cause they are neatly organized in a stair basket and one of these years, the contents will finally make it upstairs. The new question this year along with the smoking, drinking and stepping over cord questions and the nurse prefaced it with kind of a blush, was a question about s#x. Yes, this is all important information that the government and hospitals need to know. Oh to have had a pack of candy ciggies in my purse, to pull out the pack and retrieve a candy ciggie from it. Then tap it on my thumb nail like my Aunt Amy used to do, act like I am lighting it, take a long draw and respond with a witty answer. Like, we just did it in the parking lot waiting for your office to open after lunch time. 🎜Sky rockets in sight, afternoon delight . 🎜 I will have to remember this for next year's check up. 

Our neighbors made another hornet removal attempt and it cut short our watering, pruning and picking of fruit last night. Just as well, cause we needed to stop and let the little ones out on the front porch for playtime. Third kitty is eating from a bowl and gray kitty is drinking water from a saucer. They'll be leaving for college before you know it. 

This has been a hard week in some ways yet a very joyous week as well. Rejoicing with a friend with a new job and passing a certification in her line of career. Praying for friends here as well as praying for friends in Houston after hurricane Beryl. So many do not have power yet and the heat index is over 100 degrees. 

We did something new this morning, we fed These Three on the front porch while cleaning out their playpen. GMoey came out for a while but just watched the yard for birds. Now the kittens are fast asleep in their clean bed and playpen. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chuckles and the kitten report. Good start to the day.