Saturday, January 16, 2021

Sleep, Snow, Books and Nooks

 The sound of something like a garbage can being dragged down to the road awoke me way too early this morning. I have no clue what caused the racket but maybe the neighbors have left for out of town or in our case, left for out of rural and took the garbage cans to the road. Who knows? Nothing is missing around the outside of our house. Everything looks in place over at Mary Joyce's. I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and began the day. With the warm up yesterday and the cool down last night, the house had all kinds of pops and creaking sounds going on. 

Buddy is asleep in the window and HP is asleep on the back porch. Got an old bed out that Buddy stopped using and added some flannel jammie shirts that don't match anything to the bed. I had the porch heater on but it seemed to disturb more than help HP. 

**************

Saturday morning, early on we had sunshine, now the skies are a pewter gray and the snow alert on my phone just sounded. I don't see any snow falling and I am not even going to add yet, because I don't believe it will be happening around here. +++I sit corrected, there are a few flakes falling now. 

This morning Roy was telling me about his speech he is working on for Toastmasters. He told me he was thinking about it so much yesterday as he drove into work, once on the elevator he realized he was so caught up with the speech, he parked on the wrong floor of the parking garage. He had to go back and park on the correct floor. Then last night as he rode his indoor bike, he rode for 45 minutes as he mapped out his talking points. He worked on transformational moments in story telling. He used an example from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Last night I had a transformational moment. Buddy has been wandering at night again but it hasn't been too bad, meaning I haven't lost tons of sleep, just enough. Last night, she came to bed around 2:30 am and she was wet. Wet! Buddy isn't one of those cats that loves water, so out of the fog of sleep, I began searching for where she might have found water. In the hallway bathroom last Friday, I filled the tub partially. Although we have a generator, the reports of so much snow...didn't happen...made me a tad nervous. We are on a well so when the electricity goes, so goes the toilet, but we have  generator. Well, being an overthinker I took the forecasts of lots of snow and translated that into blizzard. When we didn't get the snow as forecasted, I totally forgot about the water in the bathtub. So, instead of just a groggy wake up, I now had faced a groggy, wet, wake up. Emptied the water and went back to sleep. 

The sun came out yesterday afternoon and I took the opportunity to go out and enjoy the sunshine. Now it is a different story when the sun is obstructed by clouds, cause it turns coolish rather quickly. I had gone to the road to check the mail and came back, sat down to take in the sun and vitamin D, when HP joined me. At first by my side and then on my lap. Little Biggio hung around with us, at a distance but every once in a while, he would chance a closer position. This morning when I went out to feed them, Biggio came up to me and began to rub against my boots. Such a surprise and a breakthrough. He has never done that before. And I will add I was wearing my I Love Lucy pjs with my black Bog muck boots with a fake furry bed jacket, fur is fake, the bed jacket real. I really hope I haven't tempted anyone to sin by that description and by that for someone to think they need to come and put me out of my fashion sense misery. The Post Lady just stopped here with a package, but before going out to get it must remember that now I have on a Baylor sweatshirt, with I Love Lucy jammie bottom and socks. 

I had kind of sworn off Merrill boots and shoes. These days in boots I need a size 12 and for the most part, they only go up to size 11. Lot of outdoorsy type shops stop at size 11. But they now carry boots and shoes named unlikely hiker. Oh there was a day, I was the likely hiker and even with knee replacements, the thought of hiking, even a short distance, just doesn't sound like fun. Does walking around Lake Louise in Weaverville count as hiking? I do like that.  Guess boots are my Covid choice for buying as was ice cream was my Covid choice for dessert. Now that it is colder, thankfully, nothing has replaced ice cream, but I am still loving boots. 


This wire basket is for sale and under the title of cozy book nook. Uh, it takes more than a wire basket to make a reading nook cozy. 


This is my messy yet cozy book nook, one of several in the house. Not a wire basket to be seen although in the great Covid cleaning purge I do believe one went to Goodwill. 

Lunch  was kind of picnic like, two cold fried chicken legs and some vegetarian baked beans. Needed some potato salad. 

That closet cleanout project keeps getting put on the back burner. I begin and then forget to return until later. Since I have become book oriented again, I was looking through my collection of LSU Voices of the South series. I have most of the series except for a few I wasn't interested in. This is where I met Elizabeth Spencer, Ellen Douglas, Shirley Ann Grau, and Louis Rubin, Jr. Before their time in writing about civil rights, pro civil rights. If you can get your hands on a book by Shirley Ann Grau, Keepers of the House, get it! Read it! I still remember the first time I read it, did not see the ending coming. Poor Roy, I woke him up to tell him about the book and the ending...it was that moving. 

None of the snow stuck, but it sure was pretty watching it fall from the sky. 

No comments: